Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 1:42:00 PM EDT
OK, I give up. I've been scouring the net (including here- perhaps I'm not using the right keywords) for information on standard combat load of frontline troops of the following:

Number of rounds carried for the M1, M14 and M16.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read that it is 210 rounds for the M16.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Officially it's 7 magazines (210 rounds) for an M16/M4.  Reality, according to a couple of my former PSGs, is "whatever you can carry and still be combat effective."
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, what voilsb said.  My wife carries 210 rounds for her M4.  But there's always more in the truck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was in the USMC (early 90's) a combat load for a grunt was 7, 30 round mags, or 200 rounds.
Some guys carried more mags/ammo in the field, if they wanted to and if their command didnt hassle them about it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
In the USAF (Security Police)  I was always issued 240 rounds in 8 30 round mags as a standard load when we did ABGD (air base ground defense) stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC standard loadout for an M1 Garand in WWII was 10x 8 round strippers on the waistbelt +1 in the rifle= 88 rounds.  I would imagine that unofficially the loadout would have been considerably more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, all.  Now, I can sleep better at night and stop wearing out my keyboard hitting the net looking for answers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#9]
BII (basic issue item) for the M16A2 rifle is seven (7) magazines.  One in the rifle and 3 each in the two magazine pouches.  These will hold 210 rounds.  

Actual basic load is determined by the unit commander and in an infantry unit will often be 13 magazines, or 390 rounds.  Same one in the rifle and four mag pouches of 3 each.

The basic load in my infantry unit using 20 round magazines was 440 rounds, 22 magazines.  One in the rifle and 21 in 3 each seven pocket bandoleers worn across the chest bra-style.  This was, of course, pre body armor so there was lots of room for mags.

Basic loads for some weapons systems, like tanks, is determined by what the ammo racks can carry, but for individual weapons it all depends on the unit commander and how many mags he can get.  And how many the troops can carry.  Mech unit can carry crates of the stuff, a light unit has to man carry it.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the USAF (Security Police)  I was always issued 240 rounds in 8 30 round mags as a standard load when we did ABGD (air base ground defense) stuff.  
View Quote

Hey, I carried same from Whiteman AFB to Wueschheim AS, Germany GLCM program.  Great to hear from fellow SP.  Did you ever suffer the dreaded magazine strip down in the armory for turn-in.  A buddy of mine shot a clearing barrel one night after Camper duty at whiteman, doh!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top