Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2003 4:13:31 PM EDT
Hello,
Was going through my ammo stash and I have some questions.

How is PMC 5.56mm Ball M193 compared to Federal XM 193 or Winchester Q3131A?

Is this ammo IMI? It is made by Israel Industries and then has Hansen Cartridge Company on the back of the box.

And last who made this ammo? Nothing else on on the box.

Are these good ammo?

Thanks,
Gavino
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have probably fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds of the camo box PMC M193. In fact, I have about 500 rounds of it here now that I was given along with the SP1 I purchased last year. I have been using it as practice ammo. The best I remember, this stuff was pretty popular back in the late 1980's. That's when my dad bought an SP1 and I remember well (although I was only 11 or 12 at the time) using this very ammo. From what I remember we never had any problems with it and it seemed pretty hot. I can't remember the time period when PMC started using the red/white boxes for their .223 ammo, but I think it's safe to say your ammo was made in the 80's. As far as I know, it's good stuff.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello,
Was going through my ammo stash and I have some questions.

View Quote

I remember seeing the package back around '88-89, never shot any, can't offer any more there..

Is this ammo IMI? It is made by Israel Industries and then has Hansen Cartridge Company on the back of the box.
View Quote

What is the headstamp on the case? If it is indeed IMI, it will typically have "TZ", "TZZ", or "IMI" as part of the stamp. My guess is if it says "Hanson", the stamp will be "IK" and have a orange-red paint around the yellow primer.

And last who made this ammo? Nothing else on on the box.
View Quote

Again, what is the headstamp? I do not recognize the box shown.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

As [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url] states, [b]no comparison[/b], XM193 and Q3131A are both much hotter/better ammo from a SHTF perspective.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
It's my understanding that the older PMC actually pretty much met M193 standards. Only during/after 1998 was it downloaded to it's present velocities. This stuff in the camo boxes was made in the late 80's. Troy, Brou, Tat, Forest.....is this correct or is all PMC underloaded by M193 standards?

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Send me a box of it, I'll chrono it and tell you. [:P]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for answers. All the ammo was bought in the mid 90's. Have several boxes of the PMC and a few of the IMI stuff, only 1 box of the Norinco shot most of that when I got it. All the ammo are in ammo cans and sitting in my closet. Did an inventory yesterday and came across these. Once again thanks for the answers.
Later,
Gavino
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top