Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 6:34:30 PM EDT
I reload all my rifle rounds and most pistol rounds.  I don't have a press as I am MOST impressed with the results from a Lee Loader.  I'm sure anyone who reloads much is familiar with this system and the advantages of a neck-sizing only die.  As this works absolutely wonderfully in bolt action rifles and such, would this work for ar15 rifles.  

The problem I see is that the brass swells, upon firing, to the actual dimensions of your chamber.  With a higher powered automatic round such as the .223, i'm afraid it might over swell a little and not feed right.  Has anyone tried this???

I don't have a press but I would like to load some hornady v-max and barnes vlc for varmint and long range target.  I could always just use new brass as I'm only going to be shooting small amounts (comparitively) of this ammo on special occasions.  

Any input would be great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You must resize and trim each and every case if you reload for these rifles.  

Not worth the time and effort in my (or Derrick Martin's -- Accuracy Speaks) opinion.

If you want National Match loads buy new, primed Winchester brass and load it to your spec.  Sell your once fired brass to folks with lots of time on their hands.  Spend your time shooting.

For normal, non match shooting buy ammo by the case.  Winchester Q3131 or Q3131A, Federal XM193, South African M1A3 or M1A4 surplus, or Wolf.  

Bad handloading is a primary cause of AR15 rifle blowups, especially if there's pisol powder in the neighborhood.  Bore obstructions (squib loads) are another cause.  High soft primers in unsized cases can detonate before the bolt locks shut.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Since the case isn't sized with a Lee Loader, I'm guessing this is not feasible.  I know what you mean about time.  It's just that honestly, I really enjoy reloading.  Strange I know...  

Yeah, for my plinking rounds, I been trying to decide on either the federal XM193 or AMerican Eagle rounds.  Any suggestions.  Those just seemed to be reasonably well priced and after MUCH looking around and researching, both pretty good rounds.  IT's just people get this federal XM193 lake city  mixed up with the American eagle, so I don't know which is better.  

Yeah, I see what you are saying, that was my other alternative is just going new brass for my specialty loads.  New brass really isn't too bad in price, I might just do that.  

Thanks chuck and anyone else who might care to comment.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#3]
American Eagle is light loaded .223 ammo, runs a couple hundred feet per second slower than M193 Ball.  

Any of the ammo listed above will be good stuff.  It's all M193 spec so you shouldn't have zeroing problems when starting a new case, but always confirm your zero.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a Lee Loader and dies for reloading .223.

My favorite load is Hornady 68 gr BTHP using Rlder15 powder.

I do not reload for competition, just for fun.

I have not experience any malfuctions, extracting or feeding problems, using Lee dies.

I carefully inspect my brass and measure them. I size them if it's required. I usually resize after 3rd reload. It doesn't take too long, but I don't reload in bulk.

I also buy cheap bulk ammo for plinking(usually cheaper than reloading) and use handloads for precision work like varmint hunting, accuracy testing, etc.

This is a 100yd 5 shot group shot using my 68gr reloads, brass is on the 3rd load. Used 10X scope, bipod and wooden bench.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/040107.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ridge, that sounds EXACTLY like the boat I'm in.  Yeah, i've been planning on buying the real cheap stuff as well and then reloading some for varmint from the brass I choose to collect.  Even if I only get 2 reloads, it won't matter to me, I'll just toss the brass and wait until I get more.  I really appreciate the input Ridge.

Chuck, great, I think I might just go with the American Eagle, but maybe the XM 193.  I'll still check but I appreciate the clarification.  BTW, how do you find out what specifications rounds meet M885 ss 109 m193 ect. Thanks

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
before discovering the wonderful world of surplus ammo, I used to do nothing but the Lee-Loader for my 303 British (No1MkIII*).
Obtained excellent results too. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I get twice the mileage out of my ammo.

Lately I have bought.
Winchester .223 $160/1000.
Winchester Q3131- $165/1000
Federal xm193-$172/1000
Guatamalin surplus-$135/1000

All of these have nice boxer primed brass and work great for reloading. I shoot them collect the brass and reload.

Its quite a savings when you can buy range ammo to shoot for almost the same price as empty new brass (Here you pay 12-18 cents/brass casing).

Edited to add.  My reloads are too special for plinking [:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, that perfect, that was what I was HOPING I could do.  Just buy some brass cased budget rounds (xm193 was the plan).  Shoot those for fun (plinking), then use that brass whenenver I want to reload them with my own varmint loads (yes, for special occasions I agree, I like to reload, but not THAT much, hehe).  

I was just scared that because it was an automatic, the swelled cases could be a problem chambering, in a bolt action the are sweet and tight.

Hey, where are you buying that Q3131, I hear that is pretty sweet stuff but I can get XM 193 Or American eagle at Sportsman's for dirt cheap.  Any input or suggestions.  I hear the Federal XM is a tad more accurate, but not as hot.

Thanks everyone

Gundraw
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top