User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot off 280 rounds of Wolf 55 grain stuff off at a AR-15.com shoot. Not one problem. I figure why spend the money on good accurate ammo when I really dont need all the much accuracy since the afternoon just seemed to be a day to see how muh ammo we could thru down range. Heck  I could not even find the brass. I think I am going to buy another load from the sportsman guide.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we all get what JustLOOking is saying, I like to help out the economy, when it's a tight decision, I go U.S.  But as Americans, we not only look for quality, but value counts as well.

I mean, hey, let's look at what we're shooting next to the Kalashnikov stuff overseas.  I find that a close comparison to the ammo situation, you can pick up an new Rom. AK for $300, somehow I think you probably paid a tad over double that for your AR.  BUT, for a MUCH superior firearm.  In the ammo situation, it doesn't appear that the Wolf is much inferior, so the value wins.

So saying this, I actually get to my point.  Why is there no AMERICAN company putting out steel case $.10-a-round, ammo, that shoots straighter, burns a little cleaner, and has a laquer more able to stand up to it's needs?  Probably because of the amount they can make off their brass stuff they are selling here.  Not only are the russians selling this ammo for so much less, they are at a huge disadvantage with importing regulations, costs, and taxes.  American companies are using that handicap against them.  So what I am saying, is it's probably possible for America to put out .10-a-round BRASS ammo, but they wouldn't be making a killing on it as they are now.  That's just my .02.  Figured that could be an interesting thought as you buy ammo.

I actually have an order for 500 rnds American Eagle (fed) and 260 rnds Wolf.  I'm gonna be sure and break my new baby (chrome) in with the brass stuff per Bushmaster's instructions, but if the Wolf functions well after that, I'll probably never go back as for plinking ammo, as I'm paying just about double for that Federal.

Gundraw

Hey, but I do get a free 30 mil. ammo can, Wolf doesn't do that! hehe
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
GunDraw, I completely agree with you, U.S. ammo companies are making a killing.  I realize certain legal issues probably force them to make a higher quality product (which is good) but I think they pretty much charge what they want.  Like you said, it costs the Russians extra just to get their ammo here to sell and yet they still charge 1/10 the price.  Dont get me wrong, I'm 100% American.  We have the best system in the world and the best quality products but it is that way because of the competition we have got both from inside and outside our borders.  I say if the Wolf ammo works for you, use it.  In the long run, it will be better for us and our economy.  Just MY two cents.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like posts and votes are dying down.  The results tell us that Wolf Ammo is a pretty safe bet.  No posts were made saying that the ammo blew their guns up. 12% or so had a failure at some time that they attributed to the green stuff on the case, others attributed failures to the old red gunk on the neck, others had other failures.  83% or so of the voters have never had any failures with the ammo.  Now, we can be resonably assured that Wolf won't hurt your gun, will almost always go BANG when you pull the trigger, and makes good plinking ammo.    
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job Collin.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like posts and votes are dying down.  The results tell us that Wolf Ammo is a pretty safe bet.  No posts were made saying that the ammo blew their guns up. 12% or so had a failure at some time that they attributed to the green stuff on the case, others attributed failures to the old red gunk on the neck, others had other failures.  83% or so of the voters have never had any failures with the ammo.  Now, we can be resonably assured that Wolf won't hurt your gun, will almost always go BANG when you pull the trigger, and makes good plinking ammo.    
View Quote

I would say that sums it up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I am thinking about buying 500 rounds of .45 acp and running thru my Kimber. My Glock used to eat the stuff. I wonder how it will work. Anyone try wolf in thier 1911?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I have bought 500 rounds for my Kimber Custom II.  The ammo is absolutely filthy, but goes BANG every time.  I did have a couple failures to feed, but that was the magazine's fault.  After I fixed it, no problems.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I had bad experiences with Wolf 45ACP ammo last year.  Her Sig P220 absolutely HATED it, and had many problems with chambering the rounds, which seemed weirdly sized.  There were numerous failures to eject, as well as about 20 dud primers out of 200rds.  I have not tried it in my Glock 21 yet, so the jury is out.....

That said, my A2 post-ban, my son's J&T kit-built CAR, and my daughter's SP-1 have fired around 6,000 rds of Wolf in .223, and we have had 1 dud out of 6,000!!!!!!  Even fewer problems with WOlf in 7.62x39 when we were an all-AK family......
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought some of the new Wolf .223 ammo. It does not have the laquer, or the red stuff on it. It's nice ammo. I shot it yesterday at the range and for plinking it's great. No problems to report as of yet. It's actually pretty accurate at 25 meters to me. I took the rifle apart to clean it and it wasn't that dirty either. Maybe this "new production" ammo is better than the older stuff. Just my experience with it so far. No problems, or misfires in nearly 300 rounds.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump to top to answer questions...Hey, this stuff works, the laquer does not melt off, and new production does not have the red goo on the neck.  Fire away.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have not tried it yet but say I decide to green,red the new stuff ??? What should I know, to know what the new stuff is ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do I care about buying American? This is capitalism, and if our boys think they need fat profit margins, they can blow a cock, as far as I'm concerned. Wolf is far from crap, and I'll vote with my dollars 'til a better product comes along. Maybe it'll be American, maybe it'll be foreign.

Go capitalism, go Wolf!
View Quote

Maybe you should take the first flight out of the usa if you don't like it here, like I said don't let me hear you say anything about the economy because your not helping at all. Anywhere you go it will just be worse than the usa.Wait until you find out how limited your choices are because you can't own an assault rifle almost anywhere else.
View Quote

You obviously have no idea how things work. Just by buying Wolf ammo you are helping our economy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried 100 rounds once  I had no problems with it.
the only complaint I have is that it smells really bad.
The reason I will not buy wolf is
I live 3 blocks from Federal Cartridge, my neighbors work there, and I will do my part to keep them working there.
Also the Company I work for was once part of Federal Cartridge, so I guess you could call it a loyalty thing
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have not tried it yet but say I decide to green,red the new stuff ??? What should I know, to know what the new stuff is ?
View Quote

Just know that the NEW STUFF doesn't have red sealant around the neck/bullet.  It's still on the primer but that makes no difference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:12:25 AM EDT
[#16]
You need to add a catagory for people who not tried it because some of the comments scare the SHIT OUT OF YOU! If not for all the negitive comments, I would have tried it by now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You need to add a catagory for people who not tried it because some of the comments scare the SHIT OUT OF YOU! If not for all the negitive comments, I would have tried it by now.
View Quote

If THAT'S the kind of person you are, then listen closely.  Black rifles will give you cancer.  There is no cure except to send them to me immediately!  [smoke]

Seriously, why don't you just buy a few hundred rounds and try it for yourself.  Nobody that I know says Wolf ammo permanently destroys your rifle.  The worst even the ultra ANTI WOLF types say is it leaves a residue in your chamber which can be cleaned out. [i]Which is of course total[/i] [bs]

Make up your OWN mind.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If THAT'S the kind of person you are, then listen closely.  Black rifles will give you cancer.  There is no cure except to send them to me immediately!  [smoke]

Seriously, why don't you just buy a few hundred rounds and try it for yourself.  Nobody that I know says Wolf ammo permanently destroys your rifle.  The worst even the ultra ANTI WOLF types say is it leaves a residue in your chamber which can be cleaned out. [i]Which is of course total[/i] [bs]

Make up your OWN mind.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

I completely agree! People need to make up their OWN mind about their OWN guns and the ammo they shoot out of it. This "agenda" of scaring people away from wolf ammo is old. If it works in your weapon then use it; if not donm't use it. just don't go aorund stating as fact that it will harm evry AR out there.

I had put probably 200 rounds through my first AR then had a good fried of mine suggest not using because of the reasons we all know. The ammo functioned flawlessly but I still discontinued use of it. Because of this thread, and some others, and because of the rtemoval of the sealnat by wolf I will be buying Wolf ammo again. I have two AR's to feed now. As far as I am concerned it is fine plinking ammo; all I do is make sure to clean my weapon after every trip to the range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#19]
82% no failure rate is still not enough for me to put WOLF in a 1000 dollar rifle. It seems like all the quality ammo doesn't need defending.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
82% no failure rate is still not enough for me to put WOLF in a 1000 dollar rifle. It seems like all the quality ammo doesn't need defending.
View Quote

Personally, I think many of the 17% (it's back up to 83% no failure) are just people who can't get over the the fact that it's Russian made and they still think the cold war is on. [whacko]

Even if it doesn't WORK in your rifle, I don't think anyone is claming it will damage your $1000 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you going to do when you get your first malfunctions using brass cased ammo. If you think it will never happen you probably aren't shooting enough.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why is there no AMERICAN company putting out steel case $.10-a-round, ammo, that shoots straighter, burns a little cleaner, and has a laquer more able to stand up to it's needs?  
View Quote

In all fairness to US manufacturers: The technology base of western ammunition manufacturers is geared towards brass cased stuff. It'd be as unreasonable to expect our guys to make steel cased stuff as it would be for the ComBloc guys to make brass cased stuff. The respective factories are full of machinery dedicated to making ammunition in ONE certain way.

I was also going to say that the major ammo manufacturers probably don't care that there are a small number of people (like a lot of people on this board) which burn through a significant amount of ammo and don't need the highest qualit stuff for plinking. But at the same time, Wolf/Barnaul/etc. appear to be making a decent living going through the hassle of addressing exactly that market here in the US, so there must be a significant enough volume. Strange that no domestic manufacturer has decided to challenge that with cheap ammo. Maybe they're afraid that if they make cheap ammo, that it would undermine their more profitable lines. Hard to tell.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#23]

BUY AMERICAN

Now that's not too hard a concept to grasp, is it?

For those of you who think the Cold War is over, well, I would guess your world view is slightly limited with your head stuck in the sand like that.

Yeah, the Russians are our friends.  Let's buy their products and support their industries while AMERICANS are looking for jobs.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For those of you who think the Cold War is over, well, I would guess your world view is slightly limited with your head stuck in the sand like that.
View Quote

[slap] DUCK AND COVER!!  [whacko]

Just a guess, but by your screen name "gaijin" you've either lived in Japan or read too many Tom Clancy novels (like Debt of Honor).
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Never tried it, never will. The M 16 was designed to use an IMR powder as propellant. I stick to US M193 spec.

Besides Wolf ammo smells bad, very stinky.[BD]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Accuracy wasn't too bad (not too great either), FTE's all the time (bring a cleaning rod to knock out the hulls!).  Started with 1K rounds, sent 500 back to wolf, and the refunded the money (for 500 rounds).  Gun was VERY clean, and shot my reloads and winchester USA ammo fine.  Price is right, but I'm gonna try and stick with brass case just to be safe.  I MIGHT try it again when my SA runs out if nothing comparable turns up, but am going to make sure the sealant's gone
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top