Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 7:14:41 AM EDT
Is there a way to remove the primer crimps on millitary brass besides the $70 tool from dillon ?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a drill bit.  All you need to do is 'break' the edge of the primer pocket.  Some will still be tight when priming - you throw these away since they are way more hassle than they are worth.  Sorry I cant remember the bit size.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
hornady sells the trimmer head to trim the crimp away, its like 8 bucks. i used the rcbs swager until i tried the trimmer. i put mine on a electric screwdriver and it works great. here is the link. its called primer pocket reamer.

https://www.hornady.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=storehome.html&cart_id=1030520.174038

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the drill idea. I've used both the tiny between-two-fingers reamers, and the ones mounted on wooden handles (MUCH better). Bothe inexpensive.
Tiresome chore, thankful it only has to be done once (per cartridge).
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the deburring tool that I use on the case mouth after trimming to ream it away.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
On the trimmer with the wooden handle (RCBS, I Think) I pounded a finish nail into the handle, leaving about 1/2" of the nail showing. I can then use the nail head and chuck it into a battery operated drill. Works great!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
You can trim it, but RCBS makes (made) a two-piece primer pocket swaging tool set that screws into a standard reloading press.  The tool swages the military crimp into a chamfer or "radius" and works with little effort with just the stroke of the press handle.  Very fast, efficient, and no removal of material.

Noah
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top