Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2002 11:05:18 AM EDT
I have been shooting hogs consistently lately with SA battle pack ammo.

A pattern is beginning to emerge in the wound profile.  Since I am no longer shooting at the shoulder I have been seeing more 'through and through' wounds. (ie.  Through ribs on left, through lungs, through spine, through right side) with complete exits.

Ranges have been 75 yards or so.

Out of a dozen hogs, I have not recovered any complete rounds.

However, even though the majority of the bullet is exiting, there is still lead and jacket fragments in the wound channel.  

Obviously the bullet is breaking up, but appears to be maintaing enough inertia to continue through the body structures and exit.

Entry wounds are 1/4 inch, spine is damaged by 1/2 inch hole, exit wounds 1 inch.

Appears to be that the bullet takes on the form of a 'shotgun' effect as it travels through the body.  I suppose this is a collection of bone and bullet fragments moving en masse.

Just though you guys might like to know what that SA is doing to 'real' bodies.

I have installed a pair of quartz halogen lights at my cleaning station and I will make a better effort to photo graph the wounds.  

FWIW, the bullets are passing through two hides, interior organs, and three bone structures and still exiting.  Meat lost to bullet fragments is minor/tiny.  But enough lead and jacket fragments exist  to prove the bullet is breaking apart.

14.5 Bushie upper with AK74 brake.

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you getting first shot kills or wounds?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Smack'em with a 50gr SP Hornady in front of 37gr of 748 out of a 22-250, bullet enters, no exit. I've cut the chest open only to find the cavity looks like stuff poured in a blender for 5 minutes, then poured back in cavity. Nothing to find of the bullet what so ever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I'd be interested to know whether you are getting first round kills and if this stops them in their tracks or do they tend to go for a while before dropping? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the delay in responding.  I forgot to subscribe to this thread.

First shot kills?  Yes.  Spine and lung combo shots mean that the hog is down, instantly.  Heck, they can't move thier hindquarters, so they can't run away.

They expire from blood loss/suffocation within 30 seconds.

I have not had a hog run off in that last 10 or so kills.  

As for the chest cavity looking like blended material, this would be an undesired effect IMHO.

Why?  Because I eat the heart, liver, kidneys and lungs.  It makes a delicious Braunschweiger sausage.  Lead in the sausage is not a good thing.

They WILL go for a while if I shoot them in the shoulder.  The shoulder is too dense and the rounds tend to trun and exit after breaking the shoulder.  Cripples will run a looooooong way on a broken shoulder.

As for the recent number of spine shot, I aim about 8 inches below the ridge of the back, and about 4-6 inches behind the shoulder.  Seems to be working just fine.

I seriously cannot recall the last hog that required two shots of SA.  I think it was March, a boar on the run took 2 SA's in the chest and 1 in the hip.  He ran @ 75 yards after being hit.   I did not dress it, but my hunting buddy did.  He did not save the bullets, but he said they really did some damage.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, you must do a hell of a lot of Bar B Que'n at your place or have one large freezer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Man, you must do a hell of a lot of Bar B Que'n at your place or have one large freezer.

Actually THREE freezers.  I have one freezer/fridge combo that I use as my meat locker.  You would be surprised how many hog hams you can hang in a fridge.

I give away about 25% of each pig.  I simply don't have the ability to eat it all.  It is just my wife and I.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey TRG,

Are you still doing the guide thing?

I'm in the Leiwsville, Flower Mound area and thought we might hook up this summer!
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Cretescreeder,

Yes, I am still guiding hunts.  I have quit advertising in my sigline because, frankly, it was too darn hot to hunt.

Deer season is underway right now, so the area that I hunt is a little bit less open (I don't want to get blasted by a deer hunter) but the hogs have obligingly moved into more open areas to root.

Let me know when/if you would like to hunt.  I will try to set something up.

150.00 per person, 50.00 per hog kill fee.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks,

We usually get a slow down in work in late March, early April.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have been shooting hogs consistently lately with SA battle pack ammo.

A pattern is beginning to emerge in the wound profile.  Since I am no longer shooting at the shoulder I have been seeing more 'through and through' wounds. (ie.  Through ribs on left, through lungs, through spine, through right side) with complete exits.

Ranges have been 75 yards or so.

Out of a dozen hogs, I have not recovered any complete rounds.

However, even though the majority of the bullet is exiting, there is still lead and jacket fragments in the wound channel.  

Obviously the bullet is breaking up, but appears to be maintaing enough inertia to continue through the body structures and exit.

Entry wounds are 1/4 inch, spine is damaged by 1/2 inch hole, exit wounds 1 inch.

Appears to be that the bullet takes on the form of a 'shotgun' effect as it travels through the body.  I suppose this is a collection of bone and bullet fragments moving en masse.

Just though you guys might like to know what that SA is doing to 'real' bodies.

I have installed a pair of quartz halogen lights at my cleaning station and I will make a better effort to photo graph the wounds.  

FWIW, the bullets are passing through two hides, interior organs, and three bone structures and still exiting.  Meat lost to bullet fragments is minor/tiny.  But enough lead and jacket fragments exist  to prove the bullet is breaking apart.

14.5 Bushie upper with AK74 brake.

Thanks for the report!

This sounds pretty consistent with what we have come to expect from M193 based on gel experiments.

I look forward to the pictures!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Should be a fine time to go hunting, late march, early april
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top