AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think this what you are talking about.  He did it using Colt mags not MP5 mags.  Said it was a major pain and would never do it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld3GZR3sSVs
View Quote

Yep that's the one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
 This thread makes my head hurt.

If you don't want a glock lower.....you can buy a different lower, that will mate with the JP upper.
Between QC10, and Frontier Armory, you have at least  4-5 different mag choices.

OR..... just wait for this bolt to become available, and then you can build an upper and lower for whatever mags you want to use.

Example.....look how long it took for the  CMMG  RDB stuff to get to where it's at over the past couple of years.

So wait and see what happens when it does come to market.

And please stop whining about glock mags.
Because glock mag lowers have done alot for the PCC market over the past 5 years or so.
And I would bet account for like 60%, of the lowers/complete guns being sold out there.
This huge PCC market  also helped drive the R&D of other products, and the technology....to where we are today. And tomorrow.

FWIW...I have lowers in Glock, Colt, and MP-5 varieties.
I've used the endo mags too.
All have their place....steel match, USPSA, mag dumps, whatever.

But you have to give the lowly Glock mag the credit that is due for what it has done for the PCC market.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you don't want a glock lower.....you can buy a different lower, that will mate with the JP upper.
View Quote
I hope you are right but looking at the video and some pics, I think they moved the action back some where it may not be compatible with any other lowers for proper feeding.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This thread makes my head hurt.

Between QC10, and Frontier Armory, you have at least  4-5 different mag choices.

OR..... just wait for this bolt to become available, and then you can build an upper and lower for whatever mags you want to use.

Example.....look how long it took for the  CMMG  RDB stuff to get to where it's at over the past couple of years.

So wait and see what happens when it does come to market.

Because glock mag lowers have done alot for the PCC market over the past 5 years or so.
And I would bet account for like 60%, of the lowers/complete guns being sold out there.
This huge PCC market  also helped drive the R&D of other products, and the technology....to where we are today. And tomorrow.

FWIW...I have lowers in Glock, Colt, and MP-5 varieties.
I've used the endo mags too.
All have their place....steel match, USPSA, mag dumps, whatever.

But you have to give the lowly Glock mag the credit that is due for what it has done for the PCC market.
View Quote

Good points. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more metal glock mags. The Colt mags were decent mags and maybe even better mags for these guns but people have always loved being able to share stuff between guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The bolt head stripping component has to be different than most dual position feed mags since its made for a Glock magazine. Where it presents the round is in a location that most likely not work with SMG style mags either so most likely no you can't just swap lowers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A client wanted me to design a new 9mm AR carbine and I told him roller delayed blow back is the way to go. He said he just wanted straight blow back and Glock mags which I too told him was dumb.

They have the right idea but using Glock mags are moronic since they are hard to load and malfunction more than 2 position feed magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A client wanted me to design a new 9mm AR carbine and I told him roller delayed blow back is the way to go. He said he just wanted straight blow back and Glock mags which I too told him was dumb.

They have the right idea but using Glock mags are moronic since they are hard to load and malfunction more than 2 position feed magazines.

Calling glock mags "moronic"  is like calling a fork moronic. It's an utterly dumb statement....and I question if you actual have built any PCC's that are used to compete with in any kind of shooting match.

Quoted:

The bolt head stripping component has to be different than most dual position feed mags since its made for a Glock magazine. Where it presents the round is in a location that most likely not work with SMG style mags either so most likely no you can't just swap lowers.

But you don't actually know for sure, so you are just guessing.

So....you won't build PCC's that customers request, you won't use the most popular pistol mag in the world, you think blow-backs are dumb, and you make claims based on zero experience with a component.

What a wealth of information you bring to the PCC building plate.....

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I get that double feed mags are easier to load, but I have an ETS clear Glock 40 round mag, and shoot it w/ steel @ the range.  I dump all my brass carry ammo, and load it w/ steel.  The last few rounds are hard to get in, but you just push the last round down w/ the next one, then slide it under the feed lips.  Takes a couple of minutes to load 40 rnds of steel?

My 3-D printed mags w/ the Wolf +10% power springs are hard to load, but that's mostly b/c I don't have my printer settings dialed in yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Keep the rounds in the mag when dropped

easily load by hand

LRBHO is sporadic at best

In other words, it's doesn't really do anything well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some knowledge in here.... my question is why aren’t Colt 9mm mags the standard?

What doesn’t the Colt do well?

Keep the rounds in the mag when dropped

easily load by hand

LRBHO is sporadic at best

In other words, it's doesn't really do anything well.

Feeds well on full auto, which is what it was designed to do. Not an important feature with 99% of PCCs. Glock or Sig 320 mags have the advantage of giving you better hold open and compatibility with your handgun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Ewww glock mags
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  Ewww glock mags
View Quote

Wa waaaaw.  Looks like you might get ParaOrdnance mags to fit instead.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/200117_Comprehensive-thread-of-Dual-Use-Magazines.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wa waaaaw.  Looks like you might get ParaOrdnance mags to fit instead.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/200117_Comprehensive-thread-of-Dual-Use-Magazines.html
View Quote

Even if they did, it wouldn't change the ugliness
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's something to be said about how lame AR charging handles are. I understand your point but for most shooters not everything needs to be an AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs a forward charging handle and some slap action.  Or at least a side charger.  Get rid of that damn AR sling shot charging handle.

There is something to be said for familiarity of platform.

There's something to be said about how lame AR charging handles are. I understand your point but for most shooters not everything needs to be an AR.

In the era of optics, there is some merit to the AR charging handle location.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Even if they did, it wouldn't change the ugliness
View Quote

I really don't get guns being ugly unless you paint them horrible colors.  I find Rhodesian FALs ugly b/c of the horrid looking camo paint.  I get that it's functional, not pretty, and if I was in that environment fighting communists I'd paint my rifle like that too.

Guns are functional, some are slightly better looking than others, but I would rather have a PCC that takes the same mag my pistol does than one that doesn't - the MP-18, one of the 1st submachine guns on the battlefield, took Luger mags.  My EDC rifle, my SUB2000, takes Glock mags as does my Primary.

Uzi based Colt mags are reliable, but unless I'm carrying a MicroUzi, are not very practical to swap btwn pistol & rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if the need to use the SMG magazines in a pistol have ever been a need to anyone? If you think about it, police would never have this need since if the SMG goes down then another officer or weapon would be used. Fire fights of extended length and duration only come up in police circles once in an agency's history. Extended firefight, with the main weapon catastrophically going down with out another officer or firearm to take over would be another of magnitude rarer. Weight that against a more reliable magazine design used in the weapon in that jamming of the SMG would be much more likely than the imagined lone officer extended shoot out with catastrophic SMG failure, I'll take the double stack double feed magazine. On top of that its not like you could reload your pistol magazines by stripping rounds from the SMG mags.

I'm not even going to address it as an apocalypse need reason.

Trying to justify the mag issue as compatible mags with your pistol and in a firefight you might need it is a hollow argument.

Justifying using Glock mags because you think your customer base wants them because they would not have to buy any more mags is at least more reasonable though a poor selection in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  I wonder if the need to use the SMG magazines in a pistol have ever been a need to anyone? If you think about it, police would never have this need since if the SMG goes down then another officer or weapon would be used. Fire fights of extended length and duration only come up in police circles once in an agency's history. Extended firefight, with the main weapon catastrophically going down with out another officer or firearm to take over would be another of magnitude rarer. Weight that against a more reliable magazine design used in the weapon in that jamming of the SMG would be much more likely than the imagined lone officer extended shoot out with catastrophic SMG failure, I'll take the double stack double feed magazine. On top of that its not like you could reload your pistol magazines by stripping rounds from the SMG mags.

I'm not even going to address it as an apocalypse need reason.

Trying to justify the mag issue as compatible mags with your pistol and in a firefight you might need it is a hollow argument.

Justifying using Glock mags because you think your customer base wants them because they would not have to buy any more mags is at least more reasonable though a poor selection in my opinion.
View Quote

You can carry multiple incompatible mags for your primary & secondary weapons, and if your primary goes down, you can switch to your secondary & its mags.  Or you can have your primary & secondary take the same mags, and carry less ammo.  You then run the risk of both guns going down to faulty mags or bad ammo.

If you don't bother carrying a secondary, it doesn't matter.  In Texas, a folding rifle is handy to sail past posted legal no pistol signs.

ETA:  Having lived through a mag ban, I stock one type of mag per caliber in my house.  Makes bulk buying easier.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]
So what is the dislike for Glock mags? How can a single feed, one direction feed ramp be wrong over a dual feed double ramp?  should there be more feeding issues from the double stack?  Inquiring minds want to know - thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  So what is the dislike for Glock mags? How can a single feed, one direction feed ramp be wrong over a dual feed double ramp?  should there be more feeding issues from the double stack?  Inquiring minds want to know - thanks
View Quote

Single feed are harder to load, but I load a Glock ETS 40 rnder w/ steel by hand when I go to the range, so I dunno.  Perhaps from a military application, double stack mags are preferred for quickness in loading, but the STEN and Grease Gun were both single feed.

ETA:  From a historic standpoint, most submachine mags have been straight, but some do curve forward, particularly box mags for the 7.62x25.  HK MP5 mags have been both straight & curved.

For a signficant portion of the submachinegun's evolution, the magazine stuck out to one side or the other, and I'd really like to see more AR uppers do that.  Screw all these magwell adapters.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what is the dislike for Glock mags? How can a single feed, one direction feed ramp be wrong over a dual feed double ramp?  should there be more feeding issues from the double stack?  Inquiring minds want to know - thanks
View Quote

Mags that are double stack but single feed are less reliable than double stack double feed. The issue is where the rounds go from a double column to a single column. That area causes a lot of drag on the cartridge stack and thus can cause feed issues. The issues are greatly increased when the magazine gets dirty. SMGs are fired suppressed often and thus can run very dirty as well since they are not carried in a covered holster like military pistols often are they tend to attract dirt that way as well. The Glock magazine is an excellent magazine for a pistol but when you extended it to 33 rounds they get much more finicky when dirt is involved. The polymers greatly help the design though and if you are choosing a double column single feed magazine they are probably one of the best.

As pointed out above the Sten and the Grease gun both have double column single feed magazines but these are considered some of the worse magazines ever designed for SMGs. Probably the best magazines developed for the 9mm are the Sterling's, Swedish K, and Beretta 38a/P12. All of these are double column double feed. The Uzi/Colt magazine is considered good but not as highly thought of as the previously mentioned ones due to its nasty habit of spewing rounds if dropped on its base plate. The MP5 curved magazines are better than the straight MP5 mags but the magazines are of lighter construction than the 3 mentioned and can be damaged at the feed lips more easily than the others.

The double feed magazines are also much easier to load and often do not require a magazine loader unlike the single feed variety.
you can also use a stripper clip type of loader for the dual position feed magazines.

I own transferable SMGs with both type of magazines, M3A1, Swedish K, Ppsh 41, MP5, Colt M16 9mm, etc and the double feed are much nicer to load and are more reliable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Mags that are double stack but single feed are less reliable than double stack double feed. The issue is where the rounds go from a double column to a single column. That area causes a lot of drag on the cartridge stack and thus can cause feed issues. The issues are greatly increased when the magazine gets dirty. SMGs are fired suppressed often and thus can run very dirty as well since they are not carried in a covered holster like military pistols often are they tend to attract dirt that way as well. The Glock magazine is an excellent magazine for a pistol but when you extended it to 33 rounds they get much more finicky when dirt is involved. The polymers greatly help the design though and if you are choosing a double column single feed magazine they are probably one of the best.

As pointed out above the Sten and the Grease gun both have double column single feed magazines but these are considered some of the worse magazines ever designed for SMGs. Probably the best magazines developed for the 9mm are the Sterling's, Swedish K, and Beretta 38a/P12. All of these are double column double feed. The Uzi/Colt magazine is considered good but not as highly thought of as the previously mentioned ones due to its nasty habit of spewing rounds if dropped on its base plate. The MP5 curved magazines are better than the straight MP5 mags but the magazines are of lighter construction than the 3 mentioned and can be damaged at the feed lips more easily than the others.

The double feed magazines are also much easier to load and often do not require a magazine loader unlike the single feed variety.
you can also use a stripper clip type of loader for the dual position feed magazines.

I own transferable SMGs with both type of magazines, M3A1, Swedish K, Ppsh 41, MP5, Colt M16 9mm, etc and the double feed are much nicer to load and are more reliable.
View Quote

Thanks for the experiential explanation.  I had always heard that the Sterling mag was one of the best.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mags that are double stack but single feed are less reliable than double stack double feed. The issue is where the rounds go from a double column to a single column. That area causes a lot of drag on the cartridge stack and thus can cause feed issues. The issues are greatly increased when the magazine gets dirty. SMGs are fired suppressed often and thus can run very dirty as well since they are not carried in a covered holster like military pistols often are they tend to attract dirt that way as well. The Glock magazine is an excellent magazine for a pistol but when you extended it to 33 rounds they get much more finicky when dirt is involved. The polymers greatly help the design though and if you are choosing a double column single feed magazine they are probably one of the best.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then there is the Suomi so-called "coffin" stick magazine.  A twin double feed, into a double feed, into a single feed outlet (see U.S. Patent No. 2,217,848).  All steel, heavy as can be when fully loaded, I've never had an issue with reliability when the springs are good (WWII era springs may be in need of update), but impossible to load without a loader.  Definitely not a pistol mag being repurposed for submachine gun use.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top