Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am really interested in this.

If this can be made to work with a Colt style 9mm lower, for example my SBR'd CMMG MK9, I will be a happy SOB!
View Quote
I presume you want it to work with unmodified Colt mags?

If so, you will have to lower the mags by modifying the mags or the catch.

I modified my mag catch to work with the CMMG Radially Delayed blowback and unmodified Colt mags as documented here. http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597

Since the CMMG RDB and the new MEAN Arms Roller Delayed blowback use the same mag height, I presume this should work.

ETA: one negative aspect to this approach is if you put pressure on the bottom of the Colt mag when firing it will jam.  You could get the catch on the mag welded up some to prevent that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I modified my mag catch to work with the CMMG Radially Delayed blowback and unmodified Colt mags as documented here. http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597

Since the CMMG RDB and the new MEAN Arms Roller Delayed blowback use the same mag height, I presume this should work.

ETA: one negative aspect to this approach is if you put pressure on the bottom of the Colt mag when firing it will jam.  You could get the catch on the mag welded up some to prevent that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am really interested in this.

If this can be made to work with a Colt style 9mm lower, for example my SBR'd CMMG MK9, I will be a happy SOB!

If that is all I have to do, I can/will do it.

I am done with straight blowback for my 9mm SBR that I run mostly suppressed.

I also am glad I waffled on doing the CMMG RDB, by appearance only, I feel the Mean system looks like a better solution.

I am also still pissed at CMMG for not making the RDB compatible with their OWN MK9 lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am also still pissed at CMMG for not making the RDB compatible with their OWN MK9 lower.
View Quote
How do you propose they do that?  Blowback and rotating bolts need different feed heights.  Direct your anger at God, he set up the physics that CMMG is dealing with quite well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do you propose they do that?  Blowback and rotating bolts need different feed heights.  Direct your anger at God, he set up the physics that CMMG is dealing with quite well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I some what agree with you.

However, is the feedramp on the MK9 not removable? Why, yes it is.

Is the mag catch not something that can be altered or improved upon? Why, yes it is.

Amphibian has proved to have made it work. Granted, he is more than just a normal tinkerer, but it seems obvious to me that CMMG could have made it work.

I am also totally being a little bit whiny about this. I have an SBR'd MK9 lower that I bought to replace my old Stag/Hahn blocked SBR'd lower that I ran for years with a Tros 3-lug barrel and a Trident 9 suppressor. I have had both of those running very reliably but hated the recoil impulse when shooting steel matches. And they ran dirty as hell suppresses, un-suppressed, not matter what ammo I ran.

Again, I am being a bit of a bitch about this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If that is all I have to do, I can/will do it.

I am done with straight blowback for my 9mm SBR that I run mostly suppressed.

I also am glad I waffled on doing the CMMG RDB, by appearance only, I feel the Mean system looks like a better solution.

View Quote
You can also start with Uzi mags and cut slots in them to position exactly where you want in the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I some what agree with you.

However, is the feedramp on the MK9 not removable? Why, yes it is.

Is the mag catch not something that can be altered or improved upon? Why, yes it is.

Amphibian has proved to have made it work. Granted, he is more than just a normal tinkerer, but it seems obvious to me that CMMG could have made it work.

I am also totally being a little bit whiny about this. I have an SBR'd MK9 lower that I bought to replace my old Stag/Hahn blocked SBR'd lower that I ran for years with a Tros 3-lug barrel and a Trident 9 suppressor. I have had both of those running very reliably but hated the recoil impulse when shooting steel matches. And they ran dirty as hell suppresses, un-suppressed, not matter what ammo I ran.

Again, I am being a bit of a bitch about this.
View Quote
Quoted:

You can also start with Uzi mags and cut slots in them to position exactly where you want in the receiver.
View Quote
I get you.  Take it to a gun smith that you trust and get it done.  You can pay to have the parts professional altered to do what you want them to do.

I did.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Any updates or rumors?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if a piston type rod could be attached around the gas key then placed against springs in the handguard area.

If so you could have a roller locked, folding stock/brace PDW with AR ergonomics and controls.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder if a piston type rod could be attached around the gas key then placed against springs in the handguard area.

If so you could have a roller locked, folding stock/brace PDW with AR ergonomics and controls.
View Quote
Already been pondering that one, based on my other bufferless builds.
Roller lockers are a little different animal, would likely take a different locking piece to keep bolt velocity safe with less bolt mass.
May need an actual buffer of some sort due to the inherrant friction when properly timed.  See the HK powdered tungsten.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Roller lockers are a little different animal, would likely take a different locking piece to keep bolt velocity safe with less bolt mass.
May need an actual buffer of some sort due to the inherrant friction when properly timed.  See the HK powdered tungsten.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you really want a roller locked 'AR' that is bufferless then why not just wait for the Angstadt Arms MDP-9?

I'm all about the full auto and being able to tune the cyclic rate which I doubt you will be able to do as much tuning in a bufferless setup.  I would think it would be over 1000 RPM which is too fast for my tastes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anybody heard a price on these yet?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anybody heard a price on these yet?
View Quote
Nope, in fact other than a terrible instagram video someone posted earlier, I haven't seen a completed gun, upper are any significant details.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know if the BCG will work with a FA lower?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the BCG will work with a FA lower?
View Quote
Yes!!!  I posted that on the first page of this thread...it is on their FB page....
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Watched the video, they say they will sell complete uppers to start. which makes sense as a business.

Interesting though I think since they are marketing this to use a standard ar 224/556 lower and their 9mm Mag system. It may not work well with a glock mag 9mm lower made for blowback due to the mag height difference.

I think that will hurt their sales to some audiences but I understand why to compliment their mag system.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I was interested in the CMMG RDB setup, but wanted to give the CMMG a few more months to see how things worked out and hear more reviews. Not I am happy I waited. Want to see how this Mean Arms setup does. Hope they can get it out to the public by the summer time. Really interested in it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Welp as someone who has read about various headaches and countless trial and error combos of tubes springs buffers this caught my attention. Let’s just see if the price is right and when they come out with just a bolt barrel combo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Watched the video, they say they will sell complete uppers to start. which makes sense as a business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welp as someone who has read about various headaches and countless trial and error combos of tubes springs buffers this caught my attention. Let's just see if the price is right and when they come out with just a bolt barrel combo.
I'm saving up to put together a ~8" 9mm at present, to run 99% suppressed on SBR/pistol lowers.  CMMG has my attention, but I'm a little put off by the ejection concerns I'm hearing about.

Eagerly awaiting production release & pricing, either bolt/barrel components (preferred) or upper.

2 thoughts:
1) Will a purchase include mag conversion kits?
2) Please, please, please thread these barrels 1/2-28.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be vaporware.

I seem to recall FM products teasing a delayed blowback  upper of some kind years ago and nothing from them except the vaguest of updates in their industry forum.

It would be awesome for CMMG to have a lil' competion in this segment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I seem to recall FM products teasing a delayed blowback  upper of some kind years ago and nothing from them except the vaguest of updates in their industry forum.
View Quote
I could be totally wrong but I think FM may have been incorporating the CMMG radially delayed blowback mechanism in their upper.

Regardless, I think the MEAN Arms roller delayed setup will be the ultimate setup if it comes to market, is reliable and durable.....as I posted here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/The-ultimate-9mm-NON-straight-blow-back-AR-M16--MEAN-Arms-roller-delayed-system-related-/15-748519/
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if this BCG would be compatible with Windham's MCS or not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wonder if this BCG would be compatible with Windham's MCS or not.
View Quote
The MCS is basically a re-branded MGI Hydra...that said, I'm not clear on your statement.
What exactly are you referring to?  
The MCS's 9mm setup is just a Colt pattern straight blowback setup and you'd have the same compatibility as a any other AR based 9mm Colt pattern setup....
You would use the standard AR magwell and Endomags with the MEAN Arms RDB
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
The MCS is basically a re-branded MGI Hydra...that said, I'm not clear on your statement.
What exactly are you referring to?   
The MCS's 9mm setup is just a Colt pattern straight blowback setup and you'd have the same compatibility as a any other AR based 9mm Colt pattern setup....
You would use the standard AR magwell and Endomags with the MEAN Arms RDB
View Quote

Could you use either the Colt mags with it or Glock mags using the MGI magwell instead of the Endomags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Could you use either the Colt mags with it or Glock mags using the MGI magwell instead of the Endomags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The MCS is basically a re-branded MGI Hydra...that said, I'm not clear on your statement.
What exactly are you referring to?  
The MCS's 9mm setup is just a Colt pattern straight blowback setup and you'd have the same compatibility as a any other AR based 9mm Colt pattern setup....
You would use the standard AR magwell and Endomags with the MEAN Arms RDB

MEAN already mentioned that their roller delayed setup would work with their Endomag inserts that don't have the ejector on the mag - which is what is currently used with the CMMG Radially Delayed Blowback.

That said, I would anticipate you would have the same issues trying to get Colt mags to work with a CMMG RDB.  As I documented here: http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=374
The blowback configurations push the mags up too high.  

Likewise there are many posts of varying levels of success using non-CMMG Glock lowers with the CMMG RDB system.  Since the MGI Glock magwells are designed around blowback, I would think it would be the same thing.  I don't have an MGI Glock magwell and so I don't have experience with that.  It may be drop in (provided you remove the fixed ejector in the lower) or worst case you may have to lower the mag height and also mod a feed ramp if one exists in that magwell....I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]
So what is the latest on this MEAN ARMS roller delayed system? Havent heard much movement even before the pandemic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BeltFed_1:
So what is the latest on this MEAN ARMS roller delayed system? Havent heard much movement even before the pandemic.
View Quote

I emailed them this week and they are having issues with raw material supply due to the pandemic but they say they are trying to push the project forward.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Any updates?  I have a receiver set waiting to go together...
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any updates?  I have a receiver set waiting to go together...
View Quote
They said from the start that when it would be released it would initially only be as complete uppers....last I heard a 16" and a shorty.  
So you'll be waiting a long time to use that receiver set unless you plan on buying their upper, stripping it down and building back up with whatever receiver set you are wanting to use....I'll buy a shorty upper whenever it comes out as I can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#29]
@amphibian : I've already been waiting a bit - was ready to go with the 'other' setup this winter but decided to hold off a while after following your issues with it.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#30]
It's been a little over a month - anybody hearing any updates?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone heard anything new about this?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I was just thinking about this the other day, I to am curious about the progress.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Their Facebook page has been deleted/blocked for a couple weeks now and their Instagram posts are counting down to the next SHOT Show.

I'm guessing that means it's going to be pushed to 2021.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Their Facebook page has been deleted/blocked for a couple weeks now and their Instagram posts are counting down to the next SHOT Show.

I'm guessing that means it's going to be pushed to 2021.
View Quote

Been waiting on this from MEAN and the Angstadt roller delay as well. Both vaporware so far. The latter was supposed to be Q3 this year, but now it's showing no ETA because of market conditions. I imagine MEAN is in a similar situation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Hopefully one of the many companies that make Glock AR magwells will come out with one that works for all these uppers with lower riding bolts now. I’ve got a RR lower and a pile of Glock mags ready to go.
I did alter one magwell to work but it’s just ok. No LRHO and the mag release is on the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#36]
since cmmg uses their mags arent they using cmmg upper?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  since cmmg uses their mags arent they using cmmg upper?
View Quote

No. Look at the title of this thread.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top