Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys with existing 5.56 to 9mm conversions.

How necessary is it to change the buffer weight?

And if so which weight?

Will be firing suppressed as well.

I have a 10” 5.56 sbr and been buying parts to finish out my 9mm upper for it. These mags should round everything out nicely.
View Quote

With CMMG's radial delayed blowback, you could keep your standard buffer. The pics of the mag insert doesn't lead me to believe the LRBHO functions, so your bolt catch won't take a beating.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

With CMMG's radial delayed blowback, you could keep your standard buffer. The pics of the mag insert doesn't lead me to believe the LRBHO functions, so your bolt catch won't take a beating.
View Quote
If you would bother to watch the videos, and you would know the LRBHO functions just fine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered 2-3 packs, I’ve been waiting for something like this for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Can anyone test these with a standard 5.56 BCG?  I'd like to know if the bolt will clear the feed lips.

I'm interested in using this mag with the CMMG RDB system.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There I was, minding my own business......now I spent $74 on something I didn't know existed until minutes ago
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I will admit, this peaks my interest.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can anyone test these with a standard 5.56 BCG?  I'd like to know if the bolt will clear the feed lips.

View Quote
It's a pre-order, not shipping until late summer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they ever release the Banshee barrel/bolt combo, I’ll test it out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered 2 3 packs $75 each with shipping

Ordered 6 coyote Pmags from primary arms for $9.99 ea

So $210 for 6 mags and no mag block vs $200 for a mag block (my build was going to use a Hahn) + $35 each for metal colt mags = $410 saved $200
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
This makes a lot of sense for people with SBR’s!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#11]
It also make alot of sense for people that only have one lower equiped with a Binary trigger. Like me....
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It also make alot of sense for people that only have one lower equiped with a Binary trigger. Like me....
View Quote
^^This guy gets it^^
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Will your trigger play nice with a 9mm BCG?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
It does with my current set up.

Faxon gen 2 Bolt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Since I have a CMMG Guard RDB system running full auto reliably from Colt-pattern mags already, this is very interesting, especially for my customers,  who expect delivery of a functional system with all tweaking done prior to delivery. Might have to fo on this.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#16]
got my pre order paid for.  cant wait
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Faxon gen 2 Bolt.
View Quote
Franklin Armory or Fostech?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will be testing these with my DI 9mm which uses a standard 223 bolt and will post the findings.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I will be testing these with my DI 9mm which uses a standard 223 bolt and will post the findings.
View Quote
9mm wont fit in a 223 bolt.  You have to open the bolt face up.  A 5.45x39 bolt works perfectly for 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I too plan on using this with the Guard.  The question is what to do about the ejector in the mag.
1.  Will the bolt clear the ejector without cutting it off?
2.  If it clears, run dual ejectors or maybe remove the one in the bolt?...or remove one on mag?

I find that when trying to tune the Guard to run slower (for full auto SMG competition) that the issue is failure to eject.  I'm hoping that the bolt will clear the ejector giving the Guard system a wider window of reliability.

The second concern I have is how much force is required to strip the rounds from the mag.  Colt mags require more force to strip rounds than Glock mags.  Hence, I couldn't get my Guard setup using Colt mags to run 100% with the Blitzkrieg/Tubbs spring while it works great with Glock mags.

Will just have to wait and see..
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I too plan on using this with the Guard.  The question is what to do about the ejector in the mag.
1.  Will the bolt clear the ejector without cutting it off?
2.  If it clears, run dual ejectors or maybe remove the one in the bolt?...or remove one on mag?

I find that when trying to tune the Guard to run slower (for full auto SMG competition) that the issue is failure to eject.  I'm hoping that the bolt will clear the ejector giving the Guard system a wider window of reliability.

The second concern I have is how much force is required to strip the rounds from the mag.  Colt mags require more force to strip rounds than Glock mags.  Hence, I couldn't get my Guard setup using Colt mags to run 100% with the Blitzkrieg/Tubbs spring while it works great with Glock mags.

Will just have to wait and see..
View Quote
It'll be fun to figure out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Given that a 9mm blowback bolt, for which this is intended, has a cutout through the breech face for the fixed ejector:

-A standard AR15 bolt/carrier will probably not clear the mag ejector and it will have to be removed.
-With a Guard bolt, the fixed mag ejector would not do anything to aid in ejection as the ejector would not be allowed to contact the case, due to being captive in the shrouded bolt.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted: I will be testing these with my DI 9mm which uses a standard 223 bolt and will post the findings.
View Quote
How did you get 9x19mm to fit on a standard .223 bolt?  How often do you have to clean the bolt carrier?  You having to clean the gas tube as well?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
-With a Guard bolt, the fixed mag ejector would not do anything to aid in ejection as the ejector would not be allowed to contact the case, due to being captive in the shrouded bolt.
View Quote
Do you know that for sure?  Did you know that CMMG changed the geometry of the bottom two lugs from a 556 bolt?  They are closer together to clear the opening of a Glock mag.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you know that for sure?  Did you know that CMMG changed the geometry of the bottom two lugs from a 556 bolt?  They are closer together to clear the opening of a Glock mag.
View Quote
That's not the issue.
The pistol caliber fixed ejector works by striking the head of the case as the bolt travels rearward, and it rides in the slot in the bolt shown above.
On a standard AR bolt or CMMG Guard bolt, the case head is fully captive, surrounded by the bolt skirt and lugs.  The fixed ejector would be all up in the middle of two pieces of steel (bolt and carrier) that are not clearanced for it.

Until you mill out a big chunk of the bolt to match the breech face profile of a 9mm blowback bolt, the fixed ejector will not do anything but jam it all up.
So, you might as well ditch the fixed ejector if you're going to try to run it with a Guard bolt.

ETA:
Here's an overlay I just made showing the portion of the AR bolt that would interfere with any kind of fixed ejector.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1) Not quite obsolete.  I can use my Glock and my AR-9 and swap the mags back and forth all I want.  
2) This pretty much already is a $50 product by the time you add in a $10 magazine and shipping and tax and whatever else.
3) This product requires you have dedicated 9mm mags that wont run in any other gun you own.  Very large 9mm mags.  Maybe the bulkiest 9mm mags ever.  And they can't be used in any other gun you have with you.
4) The amount you save depends on how many mags you feel like you need  per gun and how many glock mags you already owned.  Some guys want 10 magazines for every gun, minimum.  If you count the cost of the donor PMAGs, by the time you buy about 4 of the MEAN adapters, it would have been cheaper to buy a dedicated lower and use your existing glock mags.
5) I have drum mags for my large and small frame glock lowers.  30 rounds is cute.  Real men have 40 and 50 round drums.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if this product actually works as I'm reading it, it will make the need for a block or dedicated 9mm lower obsolete?
If that is the case and it works well then even if it were a $50 magazine product, it will save you much more over buying a dedicated complete 9mm lower right?
1) Not quite obsolete.  I can use my Glock and my AR-9 and swap the mags back and forth all I want.  
2) This pretty much already is a $50 product by the time you add in a $10 magazine and shipping and tax and whatever else.
3) This product requires you have dedicated 9mm mags that wont run in any other gun you own.  Very large 9mm mags.  Maybe the bulkiest 9mm mags ever.  And they can't be used in any other gun you have with you.
4) The amount you save depends on how many mags you feel like you need  per gun and how many glock mags you already owned.  Some guys want 10 magazines for every gun, minimum.  If you count the cost of the donor PMAGs, by the time you buy about 4 of the MEAN adapters, it would have been cheaper to buy a dedicated lower and use your existing glock mags.
5) I have drum mags for my large and small frame glock lowers.  30 rounds is cute.  Real men have 40 and 50 round drums.
Everything you said has nothing to do with why they made this product.

The point is to use really cheap ammo in mags that are the same size as 5.56 and lets you train with cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everything you said has nothing to do with why they made this product.
The point is to use really cheap ammo in mags that are the same size as 5.56 and lets you train with cheap ammo.
View Quote
And also have more caliber options (with same manual of arms) for a given (maybe NFA) lower.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faxon gen 2 Bolt.
Franklin Armory
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, you might as well ditch the fixed ejector if you're going to try to run it with a Guard bolt.

ETA:
Here's an overlay I just made showing the portion of the AR bolt that would interfere with any kind of fixed ejector.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/BF-606197.JPG
View Quote
Yep...your totally correct..was thinking about the MPX when I typed that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
For giggles I tried a promo code randomly, it worked

Promo code: FREESHIP
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/452963/Screenshot_20180713-115543-606243.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/452963/Screenshot_20180713-115543-606243.JPG
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wish I would have known that yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like an excuse to order a couple more

If it makes you feel any better I got on my first try.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If it makes you feel any better I got on my first try.
View Quote
Damn computer hacker over here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Franklin Armory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faxon gen 2 Bolt.
Franklin Armory
Cc wishes I hadn't read this.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Wish I had the code this morning. Put an order in for (3) 3 packs, and did a search for codes but came up blank.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And if so which weight?

I have a 10” 5.56 sbr and been buying parts to finish out my 9mm upper for it. These mags should round everything out nicely.
View Quote
My answer is “it depends.”  If you’re running light loads,like Winchester’s 115 grain White Box stuff, a standard carbine buffer runs fine.  Hotter loads require heavier buffers to keep things running smoothly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My answer is “it depends.”  If you’re running light loads,like Winchester’s 115 grain White Box stuff, a standard carbine buffer runs fine.  Hotter loads require heavier buffers to keep things running smoothly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if so which weight?

I'll add to this. If you are running subs with a suppressor you want to delay extraction as long as possible to reduce port noise. That requires the heaviest buffer that will run the gun reliably.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I preordered one. I currently have a ghost colt style magwell adapter and a metalform mag that works well. I'll let you know how this works out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'll add to this. If you are running subs with a suppressor you want to delay extraction as long as possible to reduce port noise. That requires the heaviest buffer that will run the gun reliably.
View Quote
Anyone make a heavy tuneable buffer?

My 9mm upper for my 5.56 sbr will be 4.5” with a suppressor 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KAK AR15 CONFIGURABLE BUFFER KIT
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#43]
You is a good man!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Here ya go:

$189 for a Vortex Strikefire II and 10 gen2 pmags. The Strikefire II is usually $180 alone.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-optic-ten-magpul-pmag-5-56-30rd-magazines.html?avad=211021_a1284e4b9&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

$218.71 for a Vortex Sparc and 10 gen2 pmags.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=134128

Everyone needs another/extra red dot.

Edit for bad link.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How did you get 9x19mm to fit on a standard .223 bolt?  How often do you have to clean the bolt carrier?  You having to clean the gas tube as well?
View Quote
Thru it in a lathe and opened up the bolt face to accept the 9mm rim and tweaked the extractor just a bit.
If I run factory ammo it takes about 100-150 rounds and the carbon buildup has to be cleaned off the bolt tail (but that depends on the ammo I have had some import ammo that only took about 30-40 rounds to force bolt cleaning). The gas tube seems to be fine I currently have several thousand rounds thru my 10.5" most ammo has been handloads and have not needed to clean the gas tube, although I have run some wires in it to see if there is any buildup and it seems to be clear of buildup. When using handloads I use powders that burn cleaner then factory ammo and can go longer between bolt cleaning usually about 400 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
9mm wont fit in a 223 bolt.  You have to open the bolt face up.  A 5.45x39 bolt works perfectly for 9mm.
View Quote
Yep, that is correct.(I should have stated a modded 223 bolt)
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My SBR as a swap top lower for 556 & 9mm,, I have A2 stock assembly (dont like drop stock),, I run A2 buffer with brass dowel inside for 7oz,, 556 & 9mm.. DONT go less than 5oz with 9mm

And if so which weight?
A2 rifle at 7oz,, both 556 & 9mm, bare muzzle and suppressor

See above reply

View Quote
1 primary lower here,, 3 uppers...  7.5" and 11.5" uppers for 556, and 11.5" upper for 9mm
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Somewhere a manufacturer of a mag well adapter is crying.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Somewhere a manufacturer of a mag well adapter is crying.
View Quote
I doubt it.  As the discussion shows, the MEAN Arms product is, for the most part, directed to a different market segment.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top