BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, thats the ejector tab. I was thinking though, that fixed it in my gun, but I wonder how other brands of 9mm bolts are machined and if they might malfuction differently than mine.
I have a PSA hybrid bolt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
got mine today from a 8/17 order
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know if a Maglula works with the EndoMag?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
It does not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got two from RIP-Yitaski.  The one he modified for Hex Mags still fits perfectly in a Gen 2 Magpul.  Next week we'll see if we can't Dremel it enough to fit into a GI mag.  The curvature looks very close to a Gen2 Magpul, so it's a question of fitting the stuff btwn the ribs, I think.
View Quote
Who is this RIP-Yitaski?  Is this a ARFCOM member?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Ordered standard 3-pack 9/30, shipped 10/17, out for delivery today.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tracking says Saturday by 8pm for delivery
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who is this RIP-Yitaski?  Is this a ARFCOM member?
View Quote
Yep.  He posted in this thread or the other one.  We're trying to see if we could make this work in pre-ban mags for Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered 08-27 and shipped TODAY!!!  Guard Version
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is that the ejector tab?  I don't have one to look at yet.  Not sure if it is a problem for the CMMG Guard version which comes without an ejector tab.
View Quote
Definitely not a problem with the Guard version.  That area is gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ordered 08-27 and shipped TODAY!!!  Guard Version
View Quote
Same here! Guard Version.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ran 3 of the Guard version ones this morning.  With all 3 I had an issue where the BHO would engage with one round left in the mag.  I had to trim the top of the BHO tab on the Endomag on all 3 mags I tested.  After that they were flawless.
Picture below is unaltered BHO tab on the right and the left is one that was trimmed.  Was able to do it with my pocket knife....no Dremel needed.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Endomag-BHO2.png

Video of it working with two different Guard Uppers in FA.  One of them is an early barrel with an M4 extension (dual feed ramps).  The other one is newer w/ the single feed ramp for Glock mags.
Neither was an issue.  Endomags worked great with both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaGtM2NT38
View Quote
Same problem with mine. BHO with one round in. Checked with 3 pmag housings. Figure tolerance stacking, and variances here and there. Shaved about .040 off the top of the BHO pusher on the follower and GTG. Only ran a couple of rounds. But perfect for my SBR lower.

ETA: Gen 2 Pmag.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same problem with mine. BHO with one round in. Checked with 3 pmag housings. Figure tolerance stacking, and variances here and there. Shaved about .040 off the top of the BHO pusher on the follower and GTG. Only ran a couple of rounds. But perfect for my SBR lower.

ETA: Gen 2 Pmag.
View Quote
Zoomed amphibian's pic for a better view with these old peepers.  Not much to trim for sure.  Just that little nub on the end.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered 12 Guard versions on 8-1-18. Received shipping notice today 10-19-18.

Super excited. Just ordered the CMMG Guard build kit, receiver, and bolt weight kit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
We need a version for the 40-round PMAGs for PCC competitions. That would be stellar.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tracking says Saturday by 8pm for delivery
View Quote
They showed up today.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Tested out my EndoMags in Gen 2 PMAGs this morning. I've got ranger plates on my 9mm PMAGs and I didn't notice any issues with FTF when resting the magazine on a table. The only FTF I had was when I tested having a single round in the magazine and I wouldn't doubt it being from an non-committal charging.  Retesting was successful.

With a full magazine, I was not successful in fastening the magazine with the bolt closed...which isn't a big deal as I have issues doing that with other guns.  Other than that, all magazines worked without a hitch.  I'm pretty happy with the EndoMags. I would've liked an orange or purple follower, but nothing a little paint can't fix.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
So far I've only racked the bolt a few times with snap caps, but it is nicking the rear corner of the pmag lip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tested out my EndoMags in Gen 2 PMAGs this morning. I've got ranger plates on my 9mm PMAGs and I didn't notice any issues with FTF when resting the magazine on a table. The only FTF I had was when I tested having a single round in the magazine and I wouldn't doubt it being from an non-committal charging.  Retesting was successful.

With a full magazine, I was not successful in fastening the magazine with the bolt closed...which isn't a big deal as I have issues doing that with other guns.  Other than that, all magazines worked without a hitch.  I'm pretty happy with the EndoMags. I would've liked an orange or purple follower, but nothing a little paint can't fix.
View Quote
Was this with a Guard version or a standard blowback AR9?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So far I've only racked the bolt a few times with snap caps, but it is nicking the rear corner of the pmag lip.
View Quote
Wouldn't that nicking of the rear of the mag be a BCG problem, nothing to do with the Endomag insert?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We need a version for the 40-round PMAGs for PCC competitions. That would be stellar.
View Quote
Precisely why I am waiting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Took some pics comparing the Guard version version blowback.

Floor plate of Guard version is marked:

Note that these pics are comparing ones I did NOT modified.  I cut 5 blowback one for the Guard after clearing with MEAN that it wouldn't void my warranty.
You can see that they cut/sanded the ejectors off theirs as well as it looks a little rough.

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wouldn't that nicking of the rear of the mag be a BCG problem, nothing to do with the Endomag insert?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCG chewing the mag is correct. Several post about this with pics.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:BCG chewing the mag is correct. Several post about this with pics.
View Quote
Maybe the people here who are using BCGs that are not running into problems with chewed up mags could post what brands of BCGs they are using. I suppose those who are having problems could also let us know what BCG they are utilizing. Could save members who are contemplating new builds a lot of grief.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Was this with a Guard version or a standard blowback AR9?
View Quote
Standard blowback AR9, using an American Resistance BCG (same as TNARMS?), 4.7 oz buffer, and DPMS .308 buffer spring.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#26]
There is a small but definite difference in the width of the feed rib on the bottom of a “Colt only” 9mm bolt and the rib on a Glock 9mm AR bolt.  The rib is slightly narrower on the Glock bolt, just enough to clear the lips of a Glock magazine.

Colt only bolts’ rib is wider because Colt-type magazines are “double stack, double feed” where Glock’s magazines are double stack, but “single feed”, meaning they feed from the center (the magazine tapers at the top to move rounds into the center).  The Colt magazine design is based (VERY heavily) on the Uzi magazine, so the feed rib doesn’t have anything to do with standard M16-type magazine dimensions.

I wonder if the people having magazine damage are using “Colt only” bolts.  It would be interesting to learn what bolts folks are using when they report damage or no damage.  It may not be about whether it’s a “Glock bolt” or not, but the only way to know if that’s related is to relate which bolt is being used to whether or not there’s damage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I am getting the mag damage.  Im using the KAK enhanced bolt
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am getting the mag damage.  Im using the KAK enhanced bolt
View Quote
That’s a Glock compatible bolt too...
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That’s a Glock compatible bolt too...
View Quote
Nailed it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nailed it?
View Quote
I was thinking the other way around.  The Colt feed rib is a touch wider than the Glock rib, so I thought it would be more likely to hurt the PMags.

I need to do some measuring on my own bolts...
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Ordered mine on 10/8/2018, shipped on 10/17/2018. got them 10/20/2018. Colt type.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my 3 pack in couple days ago. Went out today to test. No bueno. Colt pattern ramped 9mm bolt from NFA. Ejector failed to eject and caused a jam that caused the empty brass, still in bolt face, to gouge and screw up ejector. Happemed in semi and full auto mode. I can see where the guard version would work better. Ejector is gonna have to be made out of something way more durable/harder or even metal. Each new mag jammed after only a few rounds. Great idea and support the cause. Just bummed it didn’t work as I hoped for. I normally use a hanh block with this and it runs flawless. New frontier modular ramped 9mm bcg.

https://youtu.be/Sdw8KdDR_6E
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I tried mine today in my PSA rifle. It has a hybrid BCG. Had a few jams. Shot about 100 rounds. It already has wear on the mag  feed ramp so I don't expect these to be a long term thing. I also have a PSA  pistol that has a glock only BCG. I tried to just cycle some dummy rounds through that gun and it didn't want to feed at all. Rounds weren't getting completely chambered. Tried to extract but extractor wasn't over the rim of the round so I had to drop the mag and go from there. I don't think I will be buying more. I will stick with my glock mag lowers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Got mine today.  CMMG Guard Version.  They chopped off quite a bit and all surfaces are below or at the level of the M3 lips.  First observation is that the dust covers will no longer fit.  Posting pics for reference.

More testing after I feed the dogs.  They are circling like sharks.  
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Testing Notes:  Gen 3 Pmags

Dust covers don't fit anymore.

LRBHO works on last round not with one round left so I didn't have to trim as amphibian did above.

Same problem as everyone else with seating a full 30 rnd magazine with bolt closed.

No damage to the magazine from the Guard/Banshee bolt.

Manual cycling first 2 mags I had a couple jams but I did not rap the mag on a hard surface to fully seat all rounds against the backstop.  Apparently if the round is a bit forward it will bounce off the feed ramp instead of riding along it.  The nose winds up jammed upwards at a 45 degree angle and it doesn't make it into the chamber.  Once I loaded a mag and seated all rounds fully there were no more jams.  Tried a few times, all good.

So far so good.  Live fire tests to follow at the range this week.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in FL, and my Endo Mags shipment went from Georgia to Florida, to Chicago IL...

Needless to say, they wont get here any time soon.

Edit: They arrived today 10/24/18. Not sure why the tracking said it went to Chicago after it had already been in FL.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#36]
For you guys running the CMMG guard uppers on standard AR-15 lowers with the EndoMags, are you running standard carbine/heavy/h2 buffers and getting any malfunctions? Ideally I'd like to use a SBR AR-15 lower I have on hand and not need to swap anything to get the setup to run...
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I have my tuning info here: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=538

CMMG recommends a standard carbine buffer not heavy.  They used to recommend a 308 spring but Ive heard that they are now recommending a standard carbine spring.

I'm running mine in full auto and that is too fast for my tastes.

As seen in my link Im using an A5 buffer tube, 9mm Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer and 556 Tubb flat wire spring.  This same configuration has smoothed out my 556 setups as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For you guys running the CMMG guard uppers on standard AR-15 lowers with the EndoMags, are you running standard carbine/heavy/h2 buffers and getting any malfunctions? Ideally I'd like to use a SBR AR-15 lower I have on hand and not need to swap anything to get the setup to run...
View Quote
I'm trying to reach a happy medium with a 5.56, .300 BLK, and now the 9 mm upper.  Going out when parts arrive to try out the Banshee upper and Endomags with a Kynshot RB5005 hydraulic buffer and Tubb flat wire spring.   I have a shorter tube on my setup and have to stick with a 3.25" buffer or I would copy amphibians formula exactly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow, thanks for the great info! I guess it'll take a lot more tuning than I had hoped.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for the great info! I guess it'll take a lot more tuning than I had hoped.
View Quote
Maybe not.  You may be fine with your current buffer and spring since CMMG uses carbine buffer and spring in their Guard build anyway.  Amphibian was fine tuning for full auto rate of fire as well as smoothness and the typical carbine buffer/spring was too fast.  That may not be a concern for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well.... Funny you should ask. I was in the process of building a 9mm when I learned of the CMMG system. I put an order in for their Bolt and Barrel combo, which arrived today. I plan on running it on an Aero Precision lower. I built the lower up using the Maxim Defense PDW Brace system with the Maxim Defense, AKA JP Enterprises, 9mm Silent Capture buffer. The one with the 3 tungsten weights. My CMMG Endo Mag conversions arrived yesterday. After putting it all together, I have discovered that the Buffer is way to heavy / spring strong for the bolt catch. It will Not lock into the open position with or without the mag inserted. It will lock back if I hold the bolt catch down and I mean really hold it down. This lead me to think that maybe I had a bad bolt catch, but not so. I initially had a Geissele Maritime installed. I pulled it and installed a factory Colt, and then a Aero Precision. No Joy with all three. I swapped back to the Geissele and changed out the 9mm JP buffer with a JP 5.56 buffer with two Tungsten weights. Everything function checked perfectly.
I then swapped the upper over to another SBR lower, with a sopmod carbine stock and check function with a standard H2, GTG. Knowing that I intend to run the upper suppressed, I then swapped over to a H3, function check was GTG. Finally, I swapped out the buffer and spring to Slash's XH Carbine buffer with his wolf spring. Again function check was GTG. Unfortunately I ran out of time to do any test firing today. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll update if I can get to the range and test out the system.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe not.  You may be fine with your current buffer and spring since CMMG uses carbine buffer and spring in their Guard build anyway.  Amphibian was fine tuning for full auto rate of fire as well as smoothness and the typical carbine buffer/spring was too fast.  That may not be a concern for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right.  For a semi auto build it would be really easy to have a lower config that should work for both the 9mm Guard and a 556 upper.  
Cyclic rate isn't an issue for semi.  However, I know some people like to know this data as my data can also be used to determine how to build out a softer shooting setup.

Note that there is a difference between a 'soft' shooting setup and 'flat' shooting.  A lot of PCC shooters running blowback setups, use strong buffer springs and heavy buffers so all the mass of the bolt never hits their shoulder to keep it shooting 'flat' (minimize that red dot from bouncing).  However, with blowback, it is hard to get it to shoot 'soft'.  Running a hydraulic buffer in these straight blowback systems helps.

As you can imagine running a delayed blowback + hydraulic is even better.

I am trying to do a 'soft' and 'flat' shooting setup AND have a slow cyclic rate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I also bought a CMMG Guard kit that arrives tomorrow. I bought it with the Action Tuning Kit that CMMG sells for the Guard, which is essentially a set of different weights you can add to the carrier. I wonder how the tuning will go with that. I currently use a Tubb flatwire carbine spring and an H buffer on my SBR lower for 5.56. I guess I could start with the heaviest weight for the carrier and go down until I get reliable cycling. I always like to go the heaviest on the buffer/recoil system that reliably cycles on blowbacks, to me it "feels" the best.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I also bought a CMMG Guard kit that arrives tomorrow. I bought it with the Action Tuning Kit that CMMG sells for the Guard, which is essentially a set of different weights you can add to the carrier. I wonder how the tuning will go with that. I currently use a Tubb flatwire carbine spring and and H buffer on my SBR lower for 5.56. I guess I could start with the heaviest weight for the carrier and go down until I get reliable cycling. I always like to go the heaviest on the buffer/recoil system that reliably cycles on blowbacks, to me it "feels" the best.
View Quote
I don't think you will need the kit since you are already starting out with an ounce more than a 3.x buffer.  The Guard RDB uses a standard carbine weight buffer so you should be good to go.  I think the Tubb spring is stronger too?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I also bought a CMMG Guard kit that arrives tomorrow. I bought it with the Action Tuning Kit that CMMG sells for the Guard, which is essentially a set of different weights you can add to the carrier. I wonder how the tuning will go with that. I currently use a Tubb flatwire carbine spring and and H buffer on my SBR lower for 5.56. I guess I could start with the heaviest weight for the carrier and go down until I get reliable cycling. I always like to go the heaviest on the buffer/recoil system that reliably cycles on blowbacks, to me it "feels" the best.
View Quote
I think all this discussion regarding the Guard specifically is off topic of this thread.  Should probably discuss Guard specific details in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Thoughts-on-the-CMMG-Guard-/15-713060/&page=13

will respond to you over there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is a small but definite difference in the width of the feed rib on the bottom of a "Colt only" 9mm bolt and the rib on a Glock 9mm AR bolt.  The rib is slightly narrower on the Glock bolt, just enough to clear the lips of a Glock magazine.

Colt only bolts' rib is wider because Colt-type magazines are "double stack, double feed" where Glock's magazines are double stack, but "single feed", meaning they feed from the center (the magazine tapers at the top to move rounds into the center).  The Colt magazine design is based (VERY heavily) on the Uzi magazine, so the feed rib doesn't have anything to do with standard M16-type magazine dimensions.

I wonder if the people having magazine damage are using "Colt only" bolts.  It would be interesting to learn what bolts folks are using when they report damage or no damage.  It may not be about whether it's a "Glock bolt" or not, but the only way to know if that's related is to relate which bolt is being used to whether or not there's damage.
View Quote
I'm having a different ejector problem with mine and I'm using both a Colt only RRA bolt and a Spinta Precision bolt that is supposedly compatible with Colt and Glock.

On both bolts and all six of my mags (Gen 2 Magpuls), the bolt hits the ejector and won't close. I can't get the bolt to close at all.  I don't see anyone else reporting this problem, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, if it's a manufacturing defect or if it's an incompatibility problem.

I'm not sure whether to send these back or power through, spend more money on it with CMMG Guard and shave the ejectors off.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not sure whether to send these back or power through, spend more money on it with CMMG Guard and shave the ejectors off.
View Quote
Don't send them back.  Looks like the only major problems are with non-Guard bolts hanging up on the ejector tab.  If you read page 10 you will see how 67Cobra corrected the hangup by shaving off a bit of the ejector tab.  Here is the pic he provided.  This tweak may fix your problem.  Top circle is unmodified, lower circle is the corrected ejector tab.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I had that issue of the bolt face hitting the back of the ejector on a few of my uppers as well. I tried swapping various uppers, lowers, and 9mm bolts. The bolts are either from CMMG, Spinta, RRA, or Macon Armory. I tried both Anderson and PSA lowers. The upper receivers were from RRA, Colt, and Model 1 (all dedicated 9mm upper receivers).

For me it seemed to follow the bolts. I can't remember who manufactured any of my 9mm bolts that worked ok except one. It's a Spinta angle cut 9mm bolt that I purchased as a blem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
... I can't remember who manufactured any of my 9mm bolts that worked ok except one. It's a Spinta angle cut 9mm bolt that I purchased as a blem.
View Quote
That's exactly what that top bolt is.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't send them back.  Looks like the only major problems are with non-Guard bolts hanging up on the ejector tab.  If you read page 10 you will see how 67Cobra corrected the hangup by shaving off a bit of the ejector tab.  Here is the pic he provided.  This tweak may fix your problem.  Top circle is unmodified, lower circle is the corrected ejector tab.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374164/ejector_tab_fix_jpg-716636.JPG
View Quote
Angling the rear of the ejector may work. His cuts look like they are on the top though. Mine seems to be catching at the side.

I'll contact Mean and make sure that won't void my warranty.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top