Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are there any advantages to the standard 9 mm bolt over the CMMG RDB bolt system?
View Quote
If everything is apples to apples for reliability - no. Blowback has no serious advantage over delayed again so long as both are reliably working. Some people argue that blowback guns have less parts and are naturally more reliable, but these people are either ignorant of or new to blowback 9mm ARs and the myriad of part combos you must try.

CMMG has a winner on their hands it seems. I’m not sure they will take advantage of the opportunity. They would be wise to license the design/patent to larger players.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
As mentioned, MEAN sent me more Endomags for the blowback than for the Guard and so I cut the ejector off 5 of them and sanded down the front to be like the 3 Guard versions they sent me.
I did have to trim the BHO on all my Gen2 pmags as I was getting the BHO engaged with 1 round left in the mag.  I didn't think I needed to do it with the Gen3's as it didn't have the issue when I dry cycled them at home.  
I did some live fire testing with them on Saturday.  Two of the 5 Endomags in the Gen3's were locking the bolt back w/ 1 round still in mag.  I just did the same thing and trimmed the BHO with my pocket knife and it was good.  I did have 2 or 3 of them fail to feed a couple times....I mean no jam, but spent round would eject and I had an empty chamber and had to rack the BCG to feed another round...almost like it wasn't fast enough to keep up.  I'm going to have to pay more attention to that and see if it is specific ones doing that.  I know it was 2 or 3 out of the 5 I just modified.  
Anyone else have that issue?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:. If everything is apples to apples for reliability - no. Blowback has no serious advantage over delayed again so long as both are reliably working. Some people argue that blowback guns have less parts and are naturally more reliable, but these people are either ignorant of or new to blowback 9mm ARs and the myriad of part combos you must try.

CMMG has a winner on their hands it seems. I’m not sure they will take advantage of the opportunity. They would be wise to license the design/patent to larger players.
View Quote
Blowback is not just in ARs.  It is the  simplest, safest semi-auto action there is.  If designed well extremely reliable, and can be the least expensive.  Used on everything from .22 LR to 40mm grenade launchers.

Shoehorned into the AR, with weight limited in a 1” tube, it can be reliable, depending on what parts you throw at it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
My first attempt with the endomag lasted 7 rounds. I emailed MEAN and will send it to them. The ejector tab part is FUBAR
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My first attempt with the endomag lasted 7 rounds. I emailed MEAN and will send it to them. The ejector tab part is FUBAR
View Quote
What upper?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]
CMMG Mk9 not the Guard
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
CMMG Mk9 not the Guard
View Quote
Forgive my ignorance of the subject since I am still learning, but I believe the MK9 has its own ejector on their lower.  Could there be a conflict with the Endomag ejector tab and the MK9 upper configuration rather than a problem with the Endomag?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance of the subject since I am still learning, but I believe the MK9 has its own ejector on their lower.  Could there be a conflict with the Endomag ejector tab and the MK9 upper configuration rather than a problem with the Endomag?
View Quote
5.56 Lower...
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I use the spacers at the opposite end with a Colt buffer (5.5oz) for the blowback, but the advantage with the Guard might be that you could use the same buffer with 223 or 9mm. But, I don't know! I'm also not sure if the Guard works with any hammer or what.
View Quote
I have thousands of rounds on my POF drop in trigger on my Guard and my 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As mentioned, MEAN sent me more Endomags for the blowback than for the Guard and so I cut the ejector off 5 of them and sanded down the front to be like the 3 Guard versions they sent me.
I did have to trim the BHO on all my Gen2 pmags as I was getting the BHO engaged with 1 round left in the mag.  I didn't think I needed to do it with the Gen3's as it didn't have the issue when I dry cycled them at home.  
I did some live fire testing with them on Saturday.  Two of the 5 Endomags in the Gen3's were locking the bolt back w/ 1 round still in mag.  I just did the same thing and trimmed the BHO with my pocket knife and it was good.  I did have 2 or 3 of them fail to feed a couple times....I mean no jam, but spent round would eject and I had an empty chamber and had to rack the BCG to feed another round...almost like it wasn't fast enough to keep up.  I'm going to have to pay more attention to that and see if it is specific ones doing that.  I know it was 2 or 3 out of the 5 I just modified.  
Anyone else have that issue?
View Quote
No problem out of my three.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

5.56 Lower...
View Quote
Understood that you have a 5.56 lower but my question is if there is anything specific to the MK9 upper that would cause the problem other than the Endomag itself.  I haven't read of any problems so far except for your application with the MK9 upper.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a heads up for those who, like me, are still waiting for their EndoMags to ship, Tommy at MEAN ARMS said they are planning to ship the rest of the outstanding preorders in the next 72 hours. Woohoo!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just a heads up for those who, like me, are still waiting for their EndoMags to ship, Tommy at MEAN ARMS said they are planning to ship the rest of the outstanding preorders in the next 72 hours. Woohoo!
View Quote
So excited I wooted.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered 8/7, tracking notice today.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ordered on 9/29, so I wonder when mine will ship.  What was the cutoff date for preorders?  Did Tommy happen to mention what the timeline is for regular orders?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Understood that you have a 5.56 lower but my question is if there is anything specific to the MK9 upper that would cause the problem other than the Endomag itself.  I haven't read of any problems so far except for your application with the MK9 upper.
View Quote
The CMMG MK9 is just a Colt pattern setup, nothing different.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I ordered on 9/29, so I wonder when mine will ship.  What was the cutoff date for preorders?  Did Tommy happen to mention what the timeline is for regular orders?
View Quote
No, I didn't ask.  However, he said "all outstanding orders" and not just preorders, so you may be included.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Got to the range and went through 4 mags fine on my new build, a PSA pistol with G-9 Hybrid 9mm BCG. Cannot seat mag if loaded w/ 30 round on closed bolt. No malfunctions other than bolt locking back with 1 round left in each mag(I plan on shortening BHO tab). No bent or deformed ejector nub like what is posted above.

I don't have a mag block so these mag conversion kits work good for me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Not such a favorable video.
MEANArms Endomag - Range Review
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0lmtUDrKXQ
View Quote
I watched about 3min of that and its all I could stand of that guy. Lol

Mine works fine. It’s a toy tho.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, I didn't ask.  However, he said "all outstanding orders" and not just preorders, so you may be included.
View Quote
Right on!  Thank you, sir, for the 411.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got tracking
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Another short video of me using the mags.

They seem to work fine. I don’t care much about the ejector being fixed to the mag. Takes a while to get used too. The mag loads easy.

I’m using a PSA hybrid bolt and a cheap heavy buffer from OpticsPlanet. Not sure which brand. I do not have my gun sighted in yet. This sight was on my M11. Running a tros 3 lug barrel, GA Optimus with 3 lug and aero quantum rail. SBR lower.

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I watched about 3min of that and its all I could stand of that guy. Lol

Mine works fine. It’s a toy tho.
View Quote
A couple minutes in, it seems he is able to "reliably" induce failure by putting a little pressure on the mag (using it as a monopod), and with his finger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I need to start breaking my ARs down with a knife
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I am a complete newb when it comes to 9mm in the AR platform. Will these work with the PSA 9mm uppers?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am a complete newb when it comes to 9mm in the AR platform. Will these work with the PSA 9mm uppers?
View Quote
Yes that’s what mine started life as then did a barrel and rail swap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think your tier 1 spec ops enough to use a sword.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good point.

I still use my fingers...I need to get way cooler..haha.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A couple minutes in, it seems he is able to "reliably" induce failure by putting a little pressure on the mag (using it as a monopod), and with his finger.
View Quote
I wonder if those were Pmag M3's or 2's?  3's have the over insertion stop and they might not have the problem he is demonstrating.   Test anyone?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone actually got their hands  on these yet??

I have to say I am intrigued by the thought of this perhaps with a guard upper
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Read the thread starting a few pages back when folks started receiving them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a video posted literally 10 post above this one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Quoted:

Yeah..and i have a video on page 8 with two different Guard uppers.  Full auto and suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Coffee, keyboard... some assembly required.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wonder if those were Pmag M3's or 2's?  3's have the over insertion stop and they might not have the problem he is demonstrating.   Test anyone?
View Quote
From what I remember from the video, they were gen 2 mags.

Edit: Woohoo, got my shipping notice!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0lmtUDrKXQ
View Quote
Another reason to go with a Guard setup for these mag conversions. Eliminates the plastic ejector problem.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Just got two from RIP-Yitaski.  The one he modified for Hex Mags still fits perfectly in a Gen 2 Magpul.  Next week we'll see if we can't Dremel it enough to fit into a GI mag.  The curvature looks very close to a Gen2 Magpul, so it's a question of fitting the stuff btwn the ribs, I think.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Current lead times.....

I ordered 10-14 and received a shipping notice today. 10-17.

I would say they are caught up!

Editted to add....plain version.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I ordered 08-01-2018

No shipping notice yet.

I ordered 12 of them in the Guard configuration.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Order date 08/19, shipped, scheduled to arrive 10/18

edit to add,, not guard mod'd
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I ordered a 3 pack on Aug 7.  On Aug 18, I asked for order to be changed to Guard version.

No word yet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Current lead times.....

View Quote
I also ordered a 3 pack on 10-14 and got shipping notice today.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I ordered August 9th.  I haven't received any notification yet.

EDIT:  I just checked the site (meanarms.com) and the parts will arrive here tomorrow.  I either didn't see the shipping confirmation email, or they didn't send one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I ordered 9/6 and 9/26 and received shipping notice on both yesterday.  Separate tracking numbers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got mine today and I wanted to know this also.

First, I tested it and was able to induce that failure in a Gen3 (with over-insertion stop) by resting the rifle on my bench and applying some pressure. It took more than the Gen2, but I could do it. The Gen2 did it just resting on the bench.

Second, and while I have yet to actually do live fire, I think I solved the problem with an exacto knife. Just looked at where the bolt was hitting and ramped it back further. Don't see how this could negatively affect function.
Can't make it jam anymore.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just got mine today and I wanted to know this also.

First, I tested it and was able to induce that failure in a Gen3 (with over-insertion stop) by resting the rifle on my bench and applying some pressure. It took more than the Gen2, but I could do it. The Gen2 did it just resting on the bench.

Second, and while I have yet to actually do live fire, I think I solved the problem with an exacto knife. Just looked at where the bolt was hitting and ramped it back further. Don't see how this could negatively affect function.
Can't make it jam anymore.
https://i.imgur.com/aW9WaHO.jpg?1
View Quote
Is that the ejector tab?  I don't have one to look at yet.  Not sure if it is a problem for the CMMG Guard version which comes without an ejector tab.

In any case that is an easy fix and if it works at the range for extended fire that will be good news to others who will probably encounter this issue.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Current lead times.....

View Quote
Tom at Mean Arms emailed me with an update.  He said they have not caught up on Guard configured pre-orders.  I ordered 08/27 and he said mine will take "a few more days" to ship due to the extra manufacturing step to remove the ejector tabs.

I have no idea what "a few more days" means, other than an additional unspecified delay.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Yep, still waiting on my 8/19 order to ship, 3 mags I had switched to guard models.

Was really hoping to have them in hand so I could directly compare it to my old colt mag blowback, but I'm selling it this weekend.
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top