Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am having a hard time posting photos. For some reason.
I do like the charging handle as it is more similar to the HK MP5. And I love the new SB Tactical arm brace. Although it could have been designed more solid.
I have only fired about 30 rounds in the back yard at this point with no issues. I need a longer barrel so I can attach my can.
That will be my next project.

https://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac131/philcoates/IMG_5885_zpsrerdeogc.jpg" target="_blank">https://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac131/philcoates/IMG_5885_zpsrerdeogc.jpg
View Quote
AWESOME build!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

latest pic of my PDW pistol.  Got 6 POF mags, 1 KCI and 2 ETS 40s for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Any updates? @andromax, you get yours running? I'm really trying NOT to build one of these but the itch is getting STRONG.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
oops
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump to keep the thread going.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Having some issues with my build.

Every shot stacks up the spent case and fresh round against the BCG.

NFA lower, upper and BCG, KVP pistol carbine spring and 7oz buffer.

Using both KCI and MKE mags with 124g ammo.

Found the feed ramp loose and the ejector completely missing, which explains why it went from the occasional (loose) jam to every round (gone). Luckily they are only 3.99. Make sure to lock tight those 2 set screws on your C5 builds.

ETA:5-29-19
NFA is sending out replacement parts under warranty!
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally got mine finished. Cerakote is Sand and Armor Black

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m having a tough time finding a handguard that will work for my needs.  I’m wanting one that will allow me to put the Mp5SD rubber handguard over it and will also fit a suppressor underneath that has a 1.625” diameter.  Need something 7.125 to 7.25” in length...

Something like the Apex Carbine-length handguard with the “gator grip” or whatever they call it would be perfect, but I can’t find one in stock anywhere.  https://www.apexhandguard.com/2100-ar15-7-125-carbine-length-7-8oz-with-hardware-ar15-apex-handguard/
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m having a tough time finding a handguard that will work for my needs.  I’m wanting one that will allow me to put the Mp5SD rubber handguard over it and will also fit a suppressor underneath that has a 1.625” diameter.  Need something 7.125 to 7.25” in length...

Something like the Apex Carbine-length handguard with the “gator grip” or whatever they call it would be perfect, but I can’t find one in stock anywhere.  https://www.apexhandguard.com/2100-ar15-7-125-carbine-length-7-8oz-with-hardware-ar15-apex-handguard/
View Quote
Aero makes a 1.72" inside diameter free float in various lengths. 7.25" is their smallest one.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-enhanced-keymod-handguards

Edit: Oh I forgot where you said it needs to fit an MP5SD rubber handguard. Disregard.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I spoke with Apex and they said their 7.125” rail will be back in stock in a couple weeks!  So I guess I’ll just wait it out...

For anyone interested I’m building a QC10 Mp5 mag pistol with a SD suppressor and potted barrel... I’ll post pics as I can.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any updates? @andromax, you get yours running? I'm really trying NOT to build one of these but the itch is getting STRONG.
View Quote
@JHorne
No...
I just ordered the replacement G4 upper that sagillman suggested
Gonna mill out my lower this week and hopefully be test firing it soon after
This build actually made a short list of projects that haven't been culled. Been way too busy lately!

@sagillman Hows it been runnin with the G4?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@JHorne
No...
I just ordered the replacement G4 upper that sagillman suggested
Gonna mill out my lower this week and hopefully be test firing it soon after
This build actually made a short list of projects that haven't been culled. Been way too busy lately!

@sagillman Hows it been runnin with the G4?
View Quote
Once I switched to a full size 5.56 ejection port it ran flawless, I parted it out after a few hundred rounds because I got a smoking deal on a GHM-9 and didn't want 2 different pcc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Once I switched to a full size 5.56 ejection port it ran flawless, I parted it out after a few hundred rounds because I got a smoking deal on a GHM-9 and didn't want 2 different pcc.
View Quote
@Sagillman to confirm, can you give us a comprehensive parts list and modifications that you know works and ran well, in the event we want to replicate it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#15]
What handguards that utilize anti-rotational tabs have you guys had success with on the NFA C-5 upper receivers? It looks like they utilize the same dimensions on the top of the receiver so handguards like the BCM MCMR would interface correctly, but would something like a Geissele MK8 have issues with clearance? I prefer to run one of those two handguards on my build if possible.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm getting into the game now for an AR9 based on the NFA C-5 lower.  I want to make sure I understand a few things before I start ordering parts:

CMMG Guard bbl/bcg will work with the Gibbz G9, as long as you use their modified cam pin?
CMMG Guard bgc will work utilizing mp5 mags? I called CMMG a while back to ask if the bolt would work with that in general, but they said only Glock. I'm fine with off label use of things though, so if it works even if it isn't machined specifically for it, I'm good with that.

Are there any other mods I'll need to do with a Gibbz G9 upper, CMMG Guard, NFA C5 lower? Standard Carbine buffer/spring work, or is the 308 better, or wait and see? Heavier buffer needed? Maybe we should put together a wiki/guide on these things!
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely use a heavier buffer and 308 spring. The Taccom 3-Stage kit does cost more, but will work like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know what the standard C5 buffer weight is? I am having trouble with failures to eject on a 4” barrel complete NFA upper and lower setup. I get upwards of 10 normal rounds in a row, then I may get a failure to eject every couple. It is inconsistent with the failures. I think it may be just the buffer weight due to how short the barrel is but not sure what is in it now. Any recommendations on what weight I should be using or if it makes more sense to get a longer barrel like an 8"?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm getting into the game now for an AR9 based on the NFA C-5 lower.  I want to make sure I understand a few things before I start ordering parts:

CMMG Guard bbl/bcg will work with the Gibbz G9, as long as you use their modified cam pin?
CMMG Guard bgc will work utilizing mp5 mags? I called CMMG a while back to ask if the bolt would work with that in general, but they said only Glock. I'm fine with off label use of things though, so if it works even if it isn't machined specifically for it, I'm good with that.

Are there any other mods I'll need to do with a Gibbz G9 upper, CMMG Guard, NFA C5 lower? Standard Carbine buffer/spring work, or is the 308 better, or wait and see? Heavier buffer needed? Maybe we should put together a wiki/guide on these things!
View Quote
So far (in this thread), it seems that only one person has been able to make the Gibbz G9 upper work, and that was only after shimming the buffer spring 1" which negated the effects of using the RDB system...consensus was that the ejection port was too short for the stroke of the CMMG bolt carriers. Upper was switched to a G4 and it was reported to run flawlessly for a few hundred rounds before the owner parted it out...

@andromax has the same setup, but haven't heard any updates from him since he ordered the g4 upper.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I am also interested in the C-5 lower and CMMG Guard RDB system...

I was originally going to use the Endomags, but I'm also considering building an MP5 so mags would interchange.

With the Endomag setup, i was planning on using a standard rear charging upper, but with the C-5 lower i'm undecided between standard charging handle and side charging...

On the side charger, specifically the G4 upper, how far does the charging handle slide come back?  Could someone possibly post a picture for me?  It looks as if i would still have to move my head from a cheek wield to keep from stabbing my face with the charging handle slide...
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#22]
What upper is this? I have a C5 and been looking for side charge
for a while?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Can someone post a picture of your upper receiver so we can see the magazine relief cut area?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
MP5 mags from Apex Gun Parts and HKparts are Gen 1 old stock. Over 5years.

As far as I know, the price of the mags from NFA and other websites is $34.99. that is manufactured in 2018; Gen 2 Brand new.

See their package.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-parts-accessories-sale/192329d1523571008-wts-kci-korean-30-round-mp5-mp5k-magazine-kci2gemmp5.png
View Quote
How do you get contact with HKparts?  I have called, they never answer the phone, I have left messages, they never call back, or email back so I was wondering if they are even still in business.  Is there some secret to contacting them?  I'm reluctant to place an order with a company where there is zero contact because if something goes wrong, I would hold much of the blame for dealing with a company I already know doesn't value customer contact.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody have pictures?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

for a while?
View Quote
Looks like the NFA C5 PDW upper
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for a while?
I figured, I actually contacted them and said they’re not available to part,
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone try running straight mags in their C-5's? Any issues?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Straight MP5 mags run fine as long as you don't put rearward pressure on them.

Started to have a ton of failure to ejects... loose ejector. What kind of loctite is everyone using to keep these in place? Not sure why NFA didn't loctite the ejector.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Straight MP5 mags run fine as long as you don't put rearward pressure on them.

Started to have a ton of failure to ejects... loose ejector. What kind of loctite is everyone using to keep these in place? Not sure why NFA didn't loctite the ejector.
View Quote
I just know they stick straight down like a colt mag, not canted forward a smidge like on a real mp5
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Put a generous amount of blue loctite on the ejector set screw, runs like a sewing machine now. Ran it HARD and the ejector is rock solid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Put a generous amount of blue loctite on the ejector set screw, runs like a sewing machine now. Ran it HARD and the ejector is rock solid.
View Quote
I did just that on my new build and I can still move the feed ramp and the ejector if I push really hard on both, are these not supposed to move at all no matter what?, I can still move them but it takes a lot of pressure. I tightened the set screws as much as I could without bending or breaking the Allen wrench. I am not sure how I could get them any tighter without breakage of something, yet things still move.

Why are the set screws so small?

I am not sure if this small movement was causing my very bad jams when testing out my new build or what.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried longer set screws and even threading the ejector screw hole to allow the screw to pass all the way through instead of just barely touching the hole with the head of the screw (how it came from the factory) . I can still make the ejector pivot as well as the feed ramp. Overall I feel this design is bad, if you look at the NFA C-9 lowers (glock mags) the ejector has two massive set screws holding it, instead of the single tiny screw which creates a natural pivot point on the C-5 lowers.

I dont like this design, and I will be transitioning to a more robust 300 BLK pistol instead. In the next few weeks I will be listing my Side charging upper, SBPDW brace,KCI MP5 mags and more on the EE. Have fun with yours guys this design is not for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would personally like to see a few more pictures in this thread.
View Quote
Does this help?      Now I just need some time to get it all assembled properly.

Link Posted: 12/5/2019 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know this is late but I thought I should still share. Samson Evo7 handguard with HK rubber grip.

Link Posted: 12/6/2019 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I am doing the same, How do you fix the ruber handguard to the samson?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#41]
This is mine with the New Frontier folding receiver. The ETS mag took a lot of hand work to get it to fit the receiver which I thought a bit strange but the gun has functioned 100% . Using a foxtrot mike bolt carrier , 3 lug 7" barrel and Gibbz upper receiver that I dd have to open up for the mag.

Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Looks nice, Camero.  Heading out to the range with mine today.  Love this little tack driver!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I know this is late but I thought I should still share. Samson Evo7 handguard with HK rubber grip.

https://i.imgur.com/w0odNCv.jpg
View Quote
Looks awesome!  Nice work.

I swapped some stuff around on mine.  Also had the infamous FTE ... finally, after a year+ of hard use.  I used blue locktight on the ejector and feed ramp screws, as both were super loose and wobbly.  Not sure how long that’s been progressing- never had an issue until the last range visit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Just finished my C5, runs great, nice and smooth, soft recoil.
NFA C5 Upper Receiver
NFA C5 80% Lower Receiver
Kaw Valley 9mm blowback bolt 15oz
Kaw Valley  10oz Tungsten blowback buffer (4 1/8")
Standard carbine buffer spring
ELD Performance 9mm 5.5" barrel 1/10
Muzzle Brake: XX-Treme Defense Knurled 5/8x24 Sound Forwarder
Davidson Defense Premium 7" M-lok handguard
Standard LPK
Schmid Tool Nickel Teflon Trigger Assembly 100029372
SBPDW Brace
UTG Super Slim fold up sights
    -Mnt955 Rear sight
    -Mnt955 Front sight
DI Optical RV1 Raven Red Dot
KCI MP5 Magazines Gen2
Standard Charging Handle
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Mailman just delivered a couple parts I was waiting on to finish her up.  C5 side charger, NFA upper, lower, LPK, handguard and bolt.  8" barrel from KAK.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#46]
@slipstrm,

Did you try other buffers or go straight to 10oz?  I am running a 7.5oz and was worried about going any heavier.  My BCG is 15oz, like yours.

ETA: fixed typo
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I started with the 10oz buffer, the KVP bcg has the removable weight in it. I thought I would start heavy and roll back from there if needed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hello. Sorry I missed your comment. The rubber handguard is held using mloks. I did have to shave the screws and make a cut on handguard to be able to slide it all the way.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#49]
thank you!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Not really getting any real answers on a search so I’ll try on this post
Has anyone got this lower working with a cmmg radial setup?
I have plenty of MP5 mags so this is a idea setup for me to build a ar9 setup.  I want a 100% of the time suppressed setup using some of the amphibian info.
I love my MP5 clone but I admit that a ar9 that shoots as soft would be more relevant for my needs.
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top