User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the block and a foxtrot upper with a 9mm buffer. There seems to be a lot of resistance on the hand cycling of the bolt on this upper. My 223 guns don't have that much resistance. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The top of the ejector in the block may be rubbing on the bottom of the bolt. You should be able to adjust that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright, I will look into when I take it apart here shortly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought the block and a foxtrot upper with a 9mm buffer. There seems to be a lot of resistance on the hand cycling of the bolt on this upper. My 223 guns don't have that much resistance. Is this normal?
View Quote
Had the same problem with the block and an FM upper.  In my case, it turned out the bottom of the bolt was rubbing on the top of the bullet guide.

Try marking the top of the guide with a magic marker to see if that's causing the resistance.  If it is, you'll see the rub marks on the guide.  It's a pretty easy fix.  Just remove the guide and file or stone it down a little at a time until you don't feel the resistance any more.

Hope this helps,
Pete
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm interested as it would be nice to turn my existing AR pistol into something I could shoot at the local range without hassle. We're not allowed to shoot rifle calibers or even pistol calibers if they have stocks, but pistols are OK. fudd rules. up to now I was thinking about a scorpion or MPX pistol but this seems like a cheaper option.

I'm already invested in M&P mags and have a bunch, so I would go that way. What would I need as far as an upper? do 9mm barrels work with regular uppers? then add a BCG?

I guess what's the cheapest way to get into this. I'm willing to steal parts from other builds to make this happen
View Quote
I have the Stern Defense M&P magazine adapter.  Love the adapter and it works great with my Macon Armory barrel and bolt.  It will not function with the FM Products upper or PSA upper that I have and Stern Defense states that on their bolt compatibility portion of the website.  Wish they put it right on the page with the adapter!

I've shot about 500rounds through the Macon Armory barreled upper I built with zero failures.  Locks back every time as well.  It seems to feed a little slicker than my PSA Glock lower.

Whatever buffer you settle on I would get the Tubbs flat wire spring, it makes them all shoot softer.  The spring is for AR10 rifles and it is a little bit of pain stuffing it into a carbine tube because it is half again longer than a standard rifle spring.  Being a flat wire it takes up less space when compressed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have the Stern Defense M&P magazine adapter.  Love the adapter and it works great with my Macon Armory barrel and bolt.  It will not function with the FM Products...
View Quote
What's the issue?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The bolt rides hard on the magazine adapters feed ramp.  If you can lock it onto your lower (very hard on mine) the bolt won't move.
Look on Stern Defense's website under bolt compatibility and they state:

Recent development, the MAG-AD9 system is not compatible with PSA Hybrid or Foxtrot Mike bolts. This is due to the lug which strips a round off of the magazine being .035 of an inch further from center-line as compared to other bolt systems. If you are looking to use these bolts with our system we will provide bolt modification services with the purchase of a mag-ad9.

It would be nice if they put that right on the page with the adapter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The bolt rides hard on the magazine adapters feed ramp.  If you can lock it onto your lower (very hard on mine) the bolt won't move.
Look on Stern Defense's website under bolt compatibility and they state:

Recent development, the MAG-AD9 system is not compatible with PSA Hybrid or Foxtrot Mike bolts. This is due to the lug which strips a round off of the magazine being .035 of an inch further from center-line as compared to other bolt systems. If you are looking to use these bolts with our system we will provide bolt modification services with the purchase of a mag-ad9.

It would be nice if they put that right on the page with the adapter.
View Quote
Gotcha.  I lowered my entire mag block, so I imagine mine would be OK.  My issue is the 'cocking rod' (my made-up term) and how it would work with the CMMG Guard gas key.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Recent development, the MAG-AD9 system is not compatible with PSA Hybrid or Foxtrot Mike bolts. This is due to the lug which strips a round off of the magazine being .035 of an inch further from center-line as compared to other bolt systems.
View Quote
That's presumably specific to the 2nd Gen PSA hybrids (don't know about Foxtrot Mike), as the 3rd Gen supposedly fixed the issue.

But, when in doubt, assume nothing is compatible with PSA Hybrid bolts.  Better to be pleasantly surprised.  :)
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So if I have a psa ar9 pistol and want to use the upper on one of my stamped lowers - what needs to happen to use the stern adapter
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So if I have a psa ar9 pistol and want to use the upper on one of my stamped lowers - what needs to happen to use the stern adapter
View Quote
I found the Anderson lower I had in my spare parts gave me enough clearance with the Stern Adapter to work with my PSA upper.  The FM upper still had a slight resistance against the feedramp on the adapter so I  stoned it down and now there is none.  So it looks like depending on your lower you may get the Stern adapter to work with a PSA hybrid bolt of FM Products upper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone tried any of these devices with an ADM lower?  I have a NFA lower that works fine and I am happy with but I am SBRing an ADM in 5.56 and would like to be able to use the 9mm upper on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I got one this week that I’m going to run in .40 S&W.  I should get to try it out Monday.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#14]
https://youtu.be/bandDRhXmbA

https://youtu.be/pZ0ytkQ_XS0

I use the fm9 and stern alot. 2nd link shows a little fix
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I received my Stern glock style magwell adapter last month and only needed a compatible bolt to complete the build. What bolts do work with it? By that I mean no dragging on the feed ramp, no hitting the top of the ejector arm, and no binding going into the upper receiver.

I just finished boxing up an FM-9 bolt assembly for return to Brownells (Thank you Brownells for your return policy). I'd like to get the order right this time.

So far I've seen mention bolts from Macon Armory and Stern Defense. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]
There are plenty of videos on youtube getting it to work.
You returned it because you installed it wrong? Or an actual issue with it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I received my Stern glock style magwell adapter last month and only needed a compatible bolt to complete the build. What bolts do work with it? By that I mean no dragging on the feed ramp, no hitting the top of the ejector arm, and no binding going into the upper receiver.

I just finished boxing up an FM-9 bolt assembly for return to Brownells (Thank you Brownells for your return policy). I'd like to get the order right this time.

So far I've seen mention bolts from Macon Armory and Stern Defense. Anyone else?
View Quote
Moriarti armaments, ghost, davidson defense, and fm9 bolts all work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The new Faxon bolts work well also. Best 9mm bolt I have owned...and I have had a few.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are plenty of videos on youtube getting it to work.
You returned it because you installed it wrong? Or an actual issue with it?
View Quote
While this is my first Glock style project, a 9mm bolt assembly is pretty much a drop in item.  Not really any way to “install it wrong”. Was tight in one upper receiver and would not begin to go into a Colt branded 9mm flat top receiver. I did get it to slide into a regular M4 upper receiver. However, when I attempted to pivot the upper down onto the lower my Stern mag block was installed into, the upper stopped pivoting about 1/2 inch before fully lowering. Paul did send me links to videos that were supposed to help make it work. But as I said, it’s a drop in part. I have other Glock cut bolts installed in Colt style rifles. I tried those bolts and they fit. A couple did drag on the feedlips when I  had a mag installed. I just don’t remember which bolt was made by which manufacturer.

Since the Stern adapter is installed correctly using Stern’s directions, I feel pretty good that I didn’t “install it wrong”. And since other manufacturers bolts also function OK with my setup, I really do think that the FM9 bolt is the problem. The bolt is boxed up and ready for the mailman.

Thanks to the fellows sharing helpful information.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone seen these yet? Looks promising, little pricey but similar to the Hahn but easier to install and it takes Glock mags.
Military Arms Channel just released a video on it.

Stern Defense

https://youtu.be/siavaA2mWms
View Quote
Anyone have an idea of their dealer pricing?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I got mine and set it up with a .40 S&W upper.  It works good.  I especially like the LRBHO feature.

They are adding a flared magwell next week.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]
So from looking at the site, it seams I could buy one of the conversion kits and a PSA complete lower and not need anything else except a heavy buffer . Is this correct ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So from looking at the site, it seams I could buy one of the conversion kits and a PSA complete lower and not need anything else except a heavy buffer . Is this correct ?
View Quote
Mine runs better with the AR buffer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mine runs better with the AR buffer.  
View Quote
I was recently told to be careful on using a 3oz cabine buffer.
I use them all the time and they run fine, but the risk I was told is if the wt of the buffer and BCG are under a combined wt 21 oz you run a risk of some type of catastrophic failure.
The combined wt of the buffer (3oz) and the 9mm BCG I am running are 19oz's
Must be close enough, my personal 9mm AR is a select fire and I have over 5K rds through it with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Haha, a lot of theories  on weights and blow back out there.

Meh, it is what it is.

If nothings breaking and the case is not exploding go for broke lol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Haha, a lot of theories  on weights and blow back out there.

Meh, it is what it is.

If nothings breaking and the case is not exploding go for broke lol.
View Quote
WTF are you talking about?
Giving dangerous advice like that is really asinine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WTF are you talking about?
Giving dangerous advice like that is really asinine.
View Quote
What are you talking about?  That's the only real risk in blowback guns, that you blow brass.  If you're blowing brass, add more weight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m not blowing brass but I did go back to the 8 oz. buffer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  That's the only real risk in blowback guns, that you blow brass.  If you're blowing brass, add more weight.
View Quote
The only risk huh?
Ask never heard of kaboom huh?
Rudy from Macon county armory might chime in and correct your ignorance
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not blowing brass but I did go back to the 8 oz. buffer.
View Quote
Why go back to the 8 oz?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Didn't we have this fight already in a related thread?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The only risk huh?
Ask never heard of kaboom huh?
Rudy from Macon county armory might chime in and correct your ignorance  
View Quote
What did you think brass blowing in a blowback gun was?  Straight blowbacks handle it far better than other actions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link?
It was actually this thread, page 2. It seemed like de ja voo (no idea how to spell that)
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the old Olympic Arms version of this but this looks much better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why go back to the 8 oz?
View Quote
Even though I wasn’t having a problem, you guys got me worried about it.

Rudy suggested a 10 oz. buffer.  I was having fte problems but discovered, after nearly 1,000 rounds, the brass deflector was the problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Even though I wasn't having a problem, you guys got me worried about it.

Rudy suggested a 10 oz. buffer.  I was having fte problems but discovered, after nearly 1,000 rounds, the brass deflector was the problem.
View Quote
Rudy is very smart
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Even though I wasn't having a problem, you guys got me worried about it.

View Quote
10 oz slows the action down too much for my full autos
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
10 oz slows the action down too much for my full autos
View Quote
It’s running 100% with the 8 oz. buffer.  Why should I change it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's running 100% with the 8 oz. buffer.  Why should I change it?
View Quote
You shouldn't
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#41]
This would be the perfect block if they centerlined the paddle and protected it with ears or a fixed tab like on a Galil.

I don't need a Glock Block... but if 9mm MRP barrels were still I thing, I'd pick one up if it looked like the above.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm using the stern Glock magwell adapter and Faxon Firearms gen2 bcg on one 9mm build. Ran fine for 300 rounds or so. Then started having fte. After examination, the two screws securing the ejector in the stern block had loosened up and were allowing the ejector to move side to side. Reinstalled screws with loc-tite 271. Runs fine again. Hopefully the loc-tite 271 solves the issue. Was running a Faxon Firearms gen1 9mm bcg. That one exhibited poor machining on the front of the bolt and had serious machining marks all around. So bad in fact that the marks filled with debris from blowback after a few hundred rounds and the crud prevented rounds from feeding consistently. When I contact Faxon they took the gen1 bcg back and replaced it with a gen2 bcg. Machining was flawless on the new bcg and no issues observed so far. I'm running a KAK 8oz. extended 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I found the Anderson lower I had in my spare parts gave me enough clearance with the Stern Adapter to work with my PSA upper.  The FM upper still had a slight resistance against the feedramp on the adapter so I  stoned it down and now there is none.  So it looks like depending on your lower you may get the Stern adapter to work with a PSA hybrid bolt of FM Products upper.  
View Quote
Just ordered a PSA complete 9mm upper with their hybrid bolt and then got caught up with this thread. Was thinking about that Stern adapter and saw the posts about the Stern disclaimer regarding the 35 thousandths tolerance issue. Has anyone got a PSA hybrid bolt to work with these without having to get some machining done?

I suppose I'll find out once I pick up one of these adapters and try myself...
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just ordered a PSA complete 9mm upper with their hybrid bolt and then got caught up with this thread. Was thinking about that Stern adapter and saw the posts about the Stern disclaimer regarding the 35 thousandths tolerance issue. Has anyone got a PSA hybrid bolt to work with these without having to get some machining done?

View Quote
Stern offers a bolt modification service with the purchase of their adapter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood. I'm thinking about just picking up a dedicated 9mm Glock lower instead. Only thing is the lack of LRBHO for the PSA offering. Not sure if there are other options available yet?...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Understood. I'm thinking about just picking up a dedicated 9mm Glock lower instead. Only thing is the lack of LRBHO for the PSA offering. Not sure if there are other options available yet?...
View Quote
If you are referring to a LRBHO on the lower Matrix Arms (I have this lower and it works well) and QC10 make one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I built a second 9mm because I was wanting the FM side charge upper. I had the same problem with the bolt hitting the feed ramp on the adapter. I contacted Stern and they helped me make arrangements to modify FM's bolt. I'm happy to say I've had zero issues with feed and ejection since I got it back. I'm running the FM extended 9mm buffer, standard carbine spring, and FM's 8.5" upper with Sterns mod on the FM bolt. I've put 500ish rounds thru it and so far so good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone running this with a Toolcraft bolt?  Did it need to be machined?

ETA - The Toolcraft bolt isn't compatible, without having it machined. It hangs up on the feedramp.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm in for anyone running the Stern mag block with Beretta mags.

How are the uppers that Stern have to offer?
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top