BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm new to the whole 9mm upper thing and still trying to learn.

Can I take one of these uppers from PSA: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-9mm-nitride-1-10-13-5-keymod-railed-upper-with-hybrid-bcg-ch-516447421.html

and purchase one of the Stern Defense mag well inserts, put it in one of my standard "mil-spec" lowers and have a working rifle that will take the 9mm Glock mags?

Also, will it hold the bolt open?  That's not a deal breaker but just wondering.

Or are there other 9mm uppers that will drop on that will be better than the PSA using the Stern adapter?

It just seems too simple but I'd really like to get in to PCC since I shoot a lot of USPSA.

Thanks for any info.

ETA:  I just saw the post above that the PSA Hybrid bolt won't work.  Guess I'm still gonna look and learn for a while.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
As per their web site:
"Recent development, the MAG-AD9 system is not compatible with PSA Hybrid bolts.  This is due to the lug which strips a round off of the magazine being .035 of an inch further from center-line as compared to many other bolt systems.   If you do have a PSA Hybrid bolt system, we do plan to offer a service to fix this issue in the future.  Please scroll to the bottom of this page and sign up for our news letter so we can let you know!"

Not sure if putting a non hybrid bolt will work. If that can make it work, I might get me another one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Wonder if they make it or buy it (KAK?).  They also seem to sell the KAK block for colt mags.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Back to using this with CMMG guard components. 9mm.

I read that it will not work. I assume that is the answer to the question "Can I stick a guard upper on my lower with stern block?" I get that.

Wondering what it would take to make it work....remove ejector, adjust height of the mag up or down, maybe the BHO on the block won't work or it will have to be removed?

Wish someone here had those answers. So, someone buy everything and figure it out so I dont have to..haha.

Baaically wondering the same basic question of using a NFA/Joebobs glock cut lowers.

Not interested in the colt mag stuff going on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a Stern block. Time will tell of I try to make it work together with CMMG guard components, or if I just go standard blowback.

Figure I can modify the mag catch on the block to adjust mag height if needed....even slight room for where the block sits in my lower.

I need a project
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  I just ordered a Stern block. Time will tell of I try to make it work together with CMMG guard components, or if I just go standard blowback.

Figure I can modify the mag catch on the block to adjust mag height if needed....even slight room for where the block sits in my lower.

I need a project
View Quote
IIRC, the CMMG Guard feeds slightly lower than standard Glock mag AR-9s.  Perhaps you could modify your existing AR mag catch to seat the Stern block a bit lower?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My STERN block showed up today and is going to the range tomorrow. I have a Spinata bolt, a spikes 9mm upper. It was built by ADCO. I will be running a YHM can and installed the block in my SBr receiver.

I will try a variety of ammo and Glock mags, Magpul Mags and even some Korean ones too. I will report back.
View Quote
@Uofaspyder

I'm also using a Spinta Precision bolt.  Interested in any feedback you might have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IIRC, the CMMG Guard feeds slightly lower than standard Glock mag AR-9s.  Perhaps you could modify your existing AR mag catch to seat the Stern block a bit lower?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I just ordered a Stern block. Time will tell of I try to make it work together with CMMG guard components, or if I just go standard blowback.

I need a project
That is even another option if needed.  Gotta decide if I spend $400 for the guard bolt and barrel for sometimg that MAY work, or buy a good blow back bolt  (like Taccom or the new Faxon...already have a barrel). Then maybe use a contained buffer/spring unit.

My point in building a new 9mm AR is for softer recoil and less bolt/carrier weight...so should probably spend the extra on guard stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a kit on order and will post a review after I can shoot it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
https://youtu.be/GCSiG93HykI
Just got mine in. Made a post then seen this one sorry. I will see how to delete the new post.
Really like it. Tried on hybrid and colt only carrier
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got mine in. Made a post then seen this one sorry. I will see how to delete the new post.
View Quote
Colt ONLY carrier worked? How is this possible?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Amyone try this is any billet lowers yet? It may fit some...that is my hope anyway...haha.

Do any of you with the block have a NFA/Joebobs Spartan billet lower laying around you could try it in?
View Quote
It fits fine in an old Quinten Defense billet receiver I have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info. I did compare a atandard lower to my NFA/Spartan billet lower and the magwell area looks similar enough that it should work too.

I will know for sure at that end of the week as I have one on the way. Yippee!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Uofaspyder

I'm also using a Spinta Precision bolt.  Interested in any feedback you might have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My STERN block showed up today and is going to the range tomorrow. I have a Spinata bolt, a spikes 9mm upper. It was built by ADCO. I will be running a YHM can and installed the block in my SBr receiver.

I will try a variety of ammo and Glock mags, Magpul Mags and even some Korean ones too. I will report back.
@Uofaspyder

It ran like a champ. I used 147grain with my supressor and 115gr without it. We burned through a few hundred rounds with no hiccups.  Great combo
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  https://youtu.be/GCSiG93HykI
View Quote
stern defense MAG-AD9 9mm ar conversion
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who made the second upper you put on that lower?  The one with the charging handle that was in the forend.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Foxtrot Mike FM products
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Foxtrot Mike FM products
View Quote
I'm running that upper with my Anderson/Stern setup. Love it!
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Yep. Fm9 foxtrot mike. I showed a couple shooting videos on that channel above youtube.com/targettime
And there is a couple long threads about them on here. Really cool additions to to range days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Received my Stern block. Very nice!

I decided to go the easier and less money out of pocket option and ordered a Faxon gen 2 BCA. Holding on the CMMG Guard project.

I all ready have a faxon 9mm barrel, so this is the least money option. Will still have to deal with the heavy bolt/buffer and the stiffer recoil for now, but can always go the other way when the gun fund is in better condition.

It fits my Aero Precision lower as well as my billet Spartan lower with no issues.

Factory glock mags drop free, but PMAGS do not..although very close.

A G26 mag is too short.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone try with ETS 31rd mags?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I have to look to see if I still have any ETS mags. I got rid of most or all of the ones I had....just really like the magpul mags.

For those wondering, it feels like the tip of the mag catch may be the problem with the pmags not dropping free. Some will drop if you shake the gun a little....so I dont think it would take much to make them drop.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine ran fine with the ETS mags I had.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do they drop free?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#25]
The Stern adapter I have drops Glock and MagPul Mags like butter
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do they drop free?
View Quote
Yes. Although the ETS mags are a little thicker and not quite as smooth.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes. Although the ETS mags are a little thicker and not quite as smooth.
View Quote
We are having a bit of trouble with ETS mags dropping free also
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone tried the M&P model yet? I'm already heavily invested in M&P's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine came in today and I quickly installed them.(Mag adapter and BCG).  Seems to work great, haven't shot it yet, hopefully this weekend.  Glock mags(17 and 33 rds) snap in out out very easily.   Magpul ones work but need a bit of a pop to get them to lock in and mag release is a bit harder with them.  The Korean 33 rounders I have won't lock in at all.  Tried with bolt closed and locked back.  They work fine in my Glocks and the JR carbine I have but don't work here.  No biggie, I have lots of other Glock or Glock style mags to use.   Now I just need to get my barrel cut down so I can get rid of the fake slip over suppressor.

Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mine came in today and I quickly installed them.(Mag adapter and BCG).  Seems to work great, haven't shot it yet, hopefully this weekend.  Glock mags(17 and 33 rds) snap in out out very easily.   Magpul ones work but need a bit of a pop to get them to lock in and mag release is a bit harder with them.  The Korean 33 rounders I have won't lock in at all.  Tried with bolt closed and locked back.  They work fine in my Glocks and the JR carbine I have but don't work here.  No biggie, I have lots of other Glock or Glock style mags to use.   Now I just need to get my barrel cut down so I can get rid of the fake slip over suppressor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101408/IMG_1868_JPG-431424.jpg
View Quote
That's odd, I have a bunch of KCI 33rnd mags and they work excellent. Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's odd, I have a bunch of KCI 33rnd mags and they work excellent. Interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101408/IMG_1868_JPG-431424.jpg
There are two Korean companies making Glock mags, KCI and Kahn.  KCI tend to be higher quality than Kahn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought 20 rwb (red white blue from sg guns? Maybe kentucky gun co... Whichever 2 years ago) funny because rwb but made in korea. They all work great. Friend bought 3 kci last month and working good also. In glock 19, sub2k, and 5 ar9
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are two Korean companies making Glock mags, KCI and Kahn.  KCI tend to be higher quality than Kahn.
View Quote
also from what i have seen is both brands swell over time if you keep the loaded more so than glock factory or ETS
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#34]
What are the advantages of a Glock mag setup vs Colt?I currently run a Colt setup, and just bought 3 of Brownell's mags - just wondering if I should have went in another direction.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What are the advantages of a Glock mag setup vs Colt?I currently run a Colt setup, and just bought 3 of Brownell's mags - just wondering if I should have went in another direction.
View Quote
Why Glock mags => Cost, availability, fits in the sidearm you should be carrying...need more
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why Glock mags => Cost, availability, fits in the sidearm you should be carrying...need more
View Quote
So no functional advantages? I don't own any Glock firearms and don't ever intend to. Guess it makes sense for me to stick w/ the Colt-style setup.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So no functional advantages? I don't own any Glock firearms and don't ever intend to. Guess it makes sense for me to stick w/ the Colt-style setup.
View Quote
In your case, yes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#38]
The Glock mags are supposedly easier to load.  (I've never tried.)  That's the only functional advantage I can think of.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Stern Defense is now show a S&W M&P 9mm or 40 magwell

https://getstern.com/products/mag-adaptor

MAG-ADMP9&40

Convert your standard mil spec AR 15, M4, M16 lower assembly to use 9mm and .40 S&W M&P Magazines!  The Mag-AD series adapters install in seconds.  Boasting a last round hold open feature making them a breakthrough product and a must-have for law enforcement and civilian gun enthusiasts alike.

The Stern Mag-AD series adapters are made of aircraft grade aluminum, lightweight with ergonomic design.

These adapters require the use of a 9mm or 40S&W barrel, "depending on chosen caliber" and a Glock cut bolt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Stern Defense is now show a S&W M&P 9mm or 40 magwell

https://getstern.com/products/mag-adaptor

MAG-ADMP9&40
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1213/5432/products/1_dfb19b12-326b-44a6-89ba-91a2575311c6_large.jpg?v=1516974088

Convert your standard mil spec AR 15, M4, M16 lower assembly to use 9mm and .40 S&W M&P Magazines!  The Mag-AD series adapters install in seconds.  Boasting a last round hold open feature making them a breakthrough product and a must-have for law enforcement and civilian gun enthusiasts alike.

The Stern Mag-AD series adapters are made of aircraft grade aluminum, lightweight with ergonomic design.

These adapters require the use of a 9mm or 40S&W barrel, "depending on chosen caliber" and a Glock cut bolt.
View Quote
I'm really tempted being an M&P guy, but mags are expensive and I don't have any extended mags.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Glock mags are supposedly easier to load.  (I've never tried.)  That's the only functional advantage I can think of.
View Quote
Double column, Double feed mags are infinitely easier to load vs. Double column, Single Feed.

This is the reason why the M3 stock has a built in loading tool, or why STEN ring-loaders are so essential.

They are both reliable setups, and it means nothing to me that a Glock-fed setup can run Chinamags, or share mags with my pistol.

Thinking really hard on the topic, there is an advantage to Double column, Single Feed when the springs are worn and the mag is dropped, or slapped hard on seating, as sometimes you can spill a few rounds. I have a nasty old Uzi mag that does this.

Then again... Double column, Double feed mags are more reliable, and present rounds faster for feeding.

There's really no game-stopper or game-changer in going with either.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  You could get an upper in .40 S&W with the STERN adaptor... and have mags designed from the get go for the .40.

I am not sure the Colt pattern mag could function 100% with a mag full of .40 S&W.
View Quote
AFAIK, the Colt is a direct copy of an Uzi magazine w/ the mag catch in a different location and a different follower.

The Uzi was sold in the US for several years in .41 AE, which was directly killed by .40 S&W.  It should be pretty easy to get a Colt-style mag to feed .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Starting the journey to an AR9 and really hoping this is a product I buy. Quick question: have you tried the gen3 bolts from the most recent PSA uppers?

Do you know of other bolts on the market that don't work with your adapter? I'm looking at KVP right now, if I can't get PSA parts to work.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone had a problem with magpul mags locking back on the last round instead of empty with the ad-9?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have a discount code for Stern Defense?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I sent them a message to see if they were going to have a president day sale or a discount code since I was looking into buying their block but I never received any response back from them at all and I still haven't. so with that being said I went with a dedicated 9mm lower since they still haven't responded back to me and I rather spend my $$$ with a company that has descend customer service just in case something went wrong with their product.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#48]
For pistol mags, single feed are easy enough to load, but SMG mags, whether double or single feed, are generally much more difficult to load by hand.

I use mag loaders for single feed pistol and GG mags as well as the double feed Colt 9mm mags.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#49]
CMMG Guard + Stern Glock Block + RR =

Video

Picture
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm interested as it would be nice to turn my existing AR pistol into something I could shoot at the local range without hassle. We're not allowed to shoot rifle calibers or even pistol calibers if they have stocks, but pistols are OK. fudd rules. up to now I was thinking about a scorpion or MPX pistol but this seems like a cheaper option.

I'm already invested in M&P mags and have a bunch, so I would go that way. What would I need as far as an upper? do 9mm barrels work with regular uppers? then add a BCG?

I guess what's the cheapest way to get into this. I'm willing to steal parts from other builds to make this happen
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top