BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2017 7:23:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Some sub  ammo will be super with the longer barrel.
Yes the speed does max out before the 16"
My 12" chrono almost same speed as it did when it was 16"

If you reload these are none issues. For factory ammo, Federal 147 is among the slowest and always subsonic. Speer Lawman 147 will push just over the super mark with the carbine. Hornady 135 is just under.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
if you don't go with Rudy (Macon Armory) make sure you get a barrel that has a deep enough chamber... my 16" PSA had to be chamber reamed to  accept my 1.140 hand  loads, and the nitrided barrel is tough to cut with a HSS chamber ream... had to use a lathe
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the min barrel length for PCC?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#8]
you can use SBRs but not "pistols"
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Legalities as a different topic.  

I have 4 9mm uppers.  
I have a 10.5 inch barrel to hit the sweet spot of ballistics and barrel length.  Can be suppressed but I don’t, lots of fun to shoot.  I mean it’s super and very accurate.  

An 8.5 inch barrel with above characteristics, but a bit less unwieldy when suppressed.  Very accurate, but had to modify chamber.  

Those both are full auto capable (on the right lower or with a rLL).  

A 4 inch barrel with an older suppressor on it.   It’s not permanently attached but it’s so old and I don’t have a use for it.  I don’t think the barrel is as nice, so not as accurate but fun since it’s so short.  Suppressor is old but barrel keeps most everything subsonic.  Honestly, it’s kinda useless.  

A 5.5 inch barrel from Macon Armory on a pistol.  Quite accurate.  I built this pistol with all left over parts except the barrel, mag well and brace.   Came out nice and is accurate.   I do have the option to suppress this.   I may use it on my NFA lowers.   It’s nice.

Edit.  I’m in the process of moving.  My next firearm purchase will be a nice chronograph.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plotting to get myself set up in PCC for USPSA, and general 9mm blasting, and had some questions.

I already have a ton of Glock magazines so I'm leaning towards the Palmetto AR9.

Although an SBR would be neat, I'm thinking of a 16" to start. I do have a 9mm suppressor and I could get the 1/2-36 mount for it, but I'm not familiar with the characteristics of a 9mm rifle.   Do the longer barrels make suppressors more difficult in terms of keeping the velocity under the sound barrier? Does the faster burning powder burn up in the barrel and the velocity levels off?   I reload 9mm so I can do whatever works best.   I have loaded 147gr 9mm for my pistols, would this ammunition work okay for subsonic in such a longer barrel?

FWIW I did look at the 9mm FAQ thread but the information seems very outdated.
View Quote

As the PCC division grows, are suppressors making any headway?

In a podcast I listened to, one match director said that they weren't allowing them due to shot timer inconsistencies. I found this explanation odd since there are shot timers with an adjustable pick-up that can even work with airsoft guns.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you can use SBRs but not "pistols"
View Quote
For 1000fps or so , a simple laser, level, measuring tape, micrometer, and calculator is all that is needed.

In fact much higher velocities can be dealt with in same manner, but you need longer distances which just makes it harder to do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Plotting to get myself set up in PCC for USPSA, and general 9mm blasting, and had some questions.

I already have a ton of Glock magazines so I'm leaning towards the Palmetto AR9.

Although an SBR would be neat, I'm thinking of a 16" to start.  I do have a 9mm suppressor and I could get the 1/2-36 mount for it, but I'm not familiar with the characteristics of a 9mm rifle.   Do the longer barrels make suppressors more difficult in terms of keeping the velocity under the sound barrier?  Does the faster burning powder burn up in the barrel and the velocity levels off?   I reload 9mm so I can do whatever works best.   I have loaded 147gr 9mm for my pistols, would this ammunition work okay for subsonic in such a longer barrel?

FWIW I did look at the 9mm FAQ thread but the information seems very outdated.
View Quote

Build 2 uppers

Many barrels come w/ 1/2x28 thread

Go the ballistics by the inch website to see velocity changes from barrel length.

_
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top