User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Same problems I had with a Spikes. Evidently they had a run of mag release levers that were out of spec. The one I replaced, they had done some grinding on the back side of the pivot just too get it pinned in. I ground down the mag release latch till it worked but it was bad. They did send me a new one and it worked. There was no hope for the LRBHO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I had mag catch and LRBHO issues with my Spike's as well.  Factory mags seem to work ok but Magpul and ETS are a no-go.  I'll contact them and see if I can get a mag catch.  I did have to grind my LRBHO as well as the inside of my FM upper to allow for clearance, but the LRBHO does seem to work at this point.  That said it isn't a very good design and seem to have a very narrow window of operation.  I wish I had known about these issues ahead of time, I would have just bought the FM lower and been done with it.  I may still do that, and then use the Spike's for another build with a NFA BHO upper.

Quoted:

Same problems I had with a Spikes. Evidently they had a run of mag release levers that were out of spec. The one I replaced, they had done some grinding on the back side of the pivot just too get it pinned in. I ground down the mag release latch till it worked but it was bad. They did send me a new one and it worked. There was no hope for the LRBHO.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Mike we are launching a billet lower at SHOT, we wish we had known Spikes was getting into the market, we would have offered them ours as its 10 times better, check the link...

FM Products Billet Lower Sneak Peek
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Will the new lower have Ambi Mag Release? Removable Pistol Grip?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The Billet will be ambi, no reserve magazine...
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great!  Looking forward to this.

Quoted:
Mike we are launching a billet lower at SHOT, we wish we had known Spikes was getting into the market, we would have offered them ours as its 10 times better, check the link...

FM Products Billet Lower Sneak Peek
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
oh this bilet lower?  is that the one?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Shooting for $750 retail BTW
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
oh this bilet lower?  is that the one?  
View Quote
Quoted:
Shooting for $750 retail BTW
View Quote
Nice work going on over at FMP  !!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this !!

_
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have an SBR'd DDLES (SN 16!) Colt mag lower, an extra fixed mount 9mm suppressor, a stack of mags and cans and cans full of 147gr subsonic ammo.

I mean, if you need a guinea pig for the new 8.5" Colt compatible upper, I'm your huckleberry.
View Quote
Quoted:
We are dong a 8.5" barrel w a 10.5" handguard, they look pretty epic.  We are looking into doing a 6.5 but there will be some testing for the charging handle to work
View Quote

Just saying... I'd be willing to take one for the team.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
oh this bilet lower?  is that the one?...
View Quote
That's more like it!
I see this in my future.
Keep it up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
That's sweet looking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't see an Ambi Mag Release on that Drawing. Is the real lower going to have one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Yup, wanted patent to mature before we showed it, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We are working on a Colt compatible Upper and BCG.  Testing is going well.  We will roll it out when we do our next runs of 9mm BCG.
View Quote
Any progress on the colt compatible uppers yet?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
We prefer the CMMG Lower as it needed no modifications.  The Spikes Colt lower refused to hold a magazine.

testing Colt Upper w CMMG Lower
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh snap, we gots billet lowers too...

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#21]
and we designed this...

SS80 80% Glock 43
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you guys use a specific buffer spring in your complete FM9? I did get the FM specific buffer and I'm using it in a KAK pistol tube. I just threw a new carbine spring in there. It functions 100%, but I'm curious if there is a specific spring that you recommend.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
and we designed this...

SS80 80% Glock 43
View Quote
Nice! Maybe you can answer my question!

Does a TLR-6 still fit the SS80 G43?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Crimson

We do a 9MM PCC specific recoil spring for our rifle, its included with the Buffer Tube Kit at Brownells.  Its SS Music Wire, HD .308 style w E=Coating.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe you will need a rail on the dust cover for a TLR, 43 doesnt come w a rail.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I believe you will need a rail on the dust cover for a TLR, 43 doesnt come w a rail.
View Quote
The TLR-6 attaches to the triggerguard on the 42/43, that's why I asked... your triggerguard is different.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#28]
By chance have you figured out any kind of solution to the Spike's LRBHO issues?  Seems the only fix is to remove it and do without.  Or use a NFA BHO upper, but I'd really prefer to use my shiny new FM upper

Quoted:
This is the kind of stuff we see every day, and people keep buying this junk...have a look at what makes it to the market
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Dang. I bought the KAK tube and brace kit from Brownells since I had the 10.5" upper and ordered your buffer separately. Is there an equivalent or somewhere that sells the spring separately?  If I order the kit I suppose that could be constructive intent with a 10.5" Even if I just want the spring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We prefer the CMMG Lower as it needed no modifications.  The Spikes Colt lower refused to hold a magazine.

testing Colt Upper w CMMG Lower
View Quote
Are your Colt style uppers available yet?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
As far as fixing the Spikes LRBHO to fit, we have had sucess, here is a link below...

Check out the on that shows how we had top modify the upper.  You can always hit us up, we are happy to support you w your builds.  My email is [email protected]

modify spikes lower
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Craig

The Colt Uppers re done, the BCG are at plating.  DSG Arms will likely be first to get them.  Them Brownells.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Craig

The Colt Uppers re done, the BCG are at plating.  DSG Arms will likely be first to get them.  Them Brownells.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Our lower is 100% ambi btw...
If we can justify the expense, we are happy to do it.  Thats how the 8.5" upper and Colt line came about.
View Quote
I have two Left Handed 9mm ARs - and I would be happy to loan you guys the BCG or anything else (except for my SBR'ed lower :) ) if it would help!

I'm left handed - been shooting ARs since 1993 and in my experience, right-side ejecting PCCs of any configuration are less pleasant to shoot left-handed than the 5.56 variant.  If your wife wants a PCC, I'd definitely go the extra effort for one of the few LH 9mm PCCs out there.

Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Can you make a parts list for me?  Left hand specific?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
what's the price point on these puppies?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#37]
As soon as they are available I'll be needing one of those Colt bolts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7L898w4.jpg
View Quote
When will these be available and where?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
He said, Primary Arms should be getting a shipment in early Feb.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Just picked up an 8.5 from Primary Arms.  They're running a nice sale on them right now.  Pretty geeked up to try it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok, got my upper today along with a Stern mag adapter.  Both products look very well made.

I am having a problem, though.  I'm unable to rack the bolt when the upper is assembled onto the lower with the Stern installed. I can feel pressure as I'm closing the upper but it's not so tight that I can't squeeze it shut and get the pins in.  The bottom of the bolt appears to be hanging up on the feed ramp that sticks up from the top of the Stern adapter.  If I mortar the charging handle it will pop loose and cycle, but then I can see that it hangs up on the feed ramp going back forward and doesn't go into battery.  I assume I need to clearance either the bottom of the bolt or the top of the feed ramp.  Thoughts?

Also, what buffer are you guys running with the 8.5" upper?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Update:

Got the upper and Stern magwell to work together.  I found when I tighten down the set screw on the Stern it pulls it up higher into the lower.  The tighter I get it the higher up it goes, until it interferes with the bolt.  If I tighten it just snug enough to keep it from rattling around it leaves enough clearance for the bolt to cycle.  Not sure if that's normal for this combo, or if maybe my lower is just a little out of spec.  It seems to work fine, though, so I'm not worried about it.

Just got back from the range, dumped a couple hundred rounds through it and it ran flawlessly.  I didn't shoot it beyond 25 yards at some steel, but it was fast handling and accurate enough for what I'm using it for.  I ran some plate rack drills comparing this and my red dot equipped Glock 17, and it's consistently a full second quicker clearing the rack, with both guns starting from low ready.  The only things I want to change are to add a handstop since it's such a short barrel, and to add a muzzle brake to try and eliminate what little muzzle climb there is.  I am very impressed with both products.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Ordered a 10.5" yesterday - am looking fwd to receiving it!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Took my 8.5" to the weekly indoor USPSA match.  Did ok, except we started unloaded and I fumbled my mag and had to pick it up off the ground.  Last place in cheaterstick division (there were only 3 of us) but 7th out of 33 overall.  And I suck, I've been away from competitive shooting for too long.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder what happened to FMP, did he get lost at ShotShow?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#46]
FMP,

Any idea when you'll be sending some of the reserve mag FM-9 Lower Receivers to Brownells?

Thx
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone had issues mounting accessories on their FM M-Lok rails?  I have two rails now.  Only things I've mounted are QD sling mounts, one BCM and one Magpul.  I had a heck of a time getting the t-nuts to go through the slots.  They finally went, but took a little bit of anodizing with them.  The slots seem to be a bit on the small side.  Other than that I really like these handguards.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah. He was in here all the time, but not so much recently.
Hopefully just busy knocking out new stuff!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Has anyone had issues mounting accessories on their FM M-Lok rails?  I have two rails now.  Only things I've mounted are QD sling mounts, one BCM and one Magpul.  I had a heck of a time getting the t-nuts to go through the slots.  They finally went, but took a little bit of anodizing with them.  The slots seem to be a bit on the small side.  Other than that I really like these handguards.
View Quote
I mounted a Magpul VFG, no problems.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know, I have keeping an eye out for their Colt style uppers to drop at DSG, hopefully FMP is working on getting those out.
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top