Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:40:36 PM EDT
I'm begining to like the idea of shooting my AR all day long for $10. First off who manufactures upper kits/ full .22 rifles? I'd like to get one thats accurate. Whats the largest mag capicity I can find in .22?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:40:49 PM EDT
Check out Cheaper Than Dirt.
They sell the DPMS complete upper which works real nice.
I just bought a A2 20" HBAR Stainless version.
What a great way to practice and save money...
N2OGV
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:44:01 AM EDT
You can't go wrong with a .22lr AR. I shoot every day i'm home. i built a dedicated upper, for many a $$$ using a modified ceiner and a kuhel SS 20" barrel, an rra fft all set up for service rifle comp. When i want to have fun shooting, i'll stick on the scope and bipod and shoot binladin targets. If i had to do it again, i would shell out the extra bucks and get one from compass lake,
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:41:54 PM EDT
I'll also recomend the dedicated .22 route. I have two: a KKF 16" A2 upper that runs off of a Ciener Kit, and a DPMS DCM 20" A2. The KKF is nice because I have 30 round mags. I have had no reliablity issues, and have put 18,000 rounds through it in the 4.5 years that I've had it. The DPMS seems to be more accurate, but that is probably because of the the extra 4 inches of barrel and the DCM sites. Downside is 10 round mags.

Very cheap to shoot....I can pull the trigger 7 times with my .22's vs. once with my .223's!

Brad

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:01:09 AM EDT
ciener makes a good 22 kit it just drops in like standerd bolt carrier
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:26:06 AM EDT
If you are interested in excellent accuracy take a look at Compass Lake Engineering's .22 upper.

Take a look here.

These things hammer!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:50:49 AM EDT
I am very happy with my DPMS upper and I am a big non-fan of DPMS in general, so that's saying alot.

The drop in kits are not as good as a dedicated upper. Your .223 chambered AR barrel does not have the optimum twist for .22LR but a dedicated upper that was designed with .22LR in mind and with the proper barrel twist will give you better accuracy and make for a more enjoyable firearm.

Go to the websites of any .22LR rifle makers and you'll find that all of them have a twist rate of around 1:16. This is the same twist as the DPMS Uppers/Rifles.
Top Top