Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:25:47 PM EDT
I have a vulcan armament upper with sten mag block that I currently use on my carbine.  Am I correct in thinking this is similar to the olyimpic system?  Is the barrel extension the same?.  I've got a registered pistol lower and want to build a 9mm pistol.  Are there any already made short 9mm barrels available, or should I just get my current barrel cut down.   I'm currently considering building a Colt/RRA type 9mm rifle, or getting an Oly. Glock carbine to compliment my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Garrison in Ohio, as I recall. They had an ad in S.A.R. with good $$$. OTTO. But, All COLT system.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a vulcan armament upper with sten mag block that I currently use on my carbine.  Am I correct in thinking this is similar to the olyimpic system?
I think it is a somewhat copy of the Olympic system

Is the barrel extension the same?.  
The Oly is different than the COLT style. The chamber end of the COLT style is flat and chambered, where as the OLY is back-bored and chambered up -inside the end of the barrel...

I've got a registered pistol lower and want to build a 9mm pistol.  Are there any already made short 9mm barrels available, or should I just get my current barrel cut down.
TROSUSA has 5' & 9" 3 lug barrels he makes, and Henry @ Title2.com has them usually,  WA Tom makes barrel, Randall Rausch here makes barrels,  M60Joe.com will cut/modify existing barrel, ADCO modify, tell us what you want, and we point in right direction.

I'm currently considering building a Colt/RRA type 9mm rifle, or getting an Oly. Glock carbine to compliment my Glock 19.

COLT  style -

Typical Olympic - fuzzy pic by KKF

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  Thanks for the great info and especially the pics!  I'll compare those with my gun... I may still build a whole new gun.  Mine seems to like only 124gr and higher ammo and that makes my ammo options alot smaller.  I've heard that both the Oly and the Colt style aren't as picky.   Is that true?  Those 32rnd sten mags sure do deplete my ammo stores.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Story is the Oly will eat anything you feed it, due to the center feed mag (Sten), and the large cone/funnel  at end of barrel into chamber..

The Colt pattern is finiky about hollow point ammo, as it has to ride up a ramp and hit the chamber right on.  Colt pattern is 100% with ball ammo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had good success with hollowpoints in my Colt 9mm.  Colt magazines work quite well, though others do indeed perform best with ball.

The only exception to this rule is for cartridges that are relatively short.  If the LOA is correct, then they feed fine.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top