Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:46:33 AM EDT
I am trying to decide which upper I want and any info would be greatly appreciated.  I really like the looks of the integrally suppressed Lauer upper but don't know much about it.  I am simply looking for something quite and dependable.  I am thinking about either the Lauer or maybe the LRM M-169.  If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Just looking at the size of the LRM can (1.5x13) seems to suggest that doing better shouldn't be hard.  

The LRM is getting a good solid sound reduction (29 dry), but companies like AAC are doing that [and better] with muzzle cans that are 7inches long.  

AAC's upper is just an AR15 upper with a thread mount, and it appears SWRs is too.  SO integrals are not big on the market and I really don't understand that.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The LRM is getting a good solid sound reduction (29 dry), but companies like AAC are doing that [and better] with muzzle cans that are 7inches long.  

AAC's upper is just an AR15 upper with a thread mount, and it appears SWRs is too.  SO integrals are not big on the market and I really don't understand that.  

Comparing the LRM to an AAC, SWR or Gemtech for that matter is like comparing apples and oranges.

LRM is the only INTEGRAL upper of the ones I mentioned above.  I don't know anything about the Lauer one.

The LRM upper is the ONLY one of the ones above where you can put standard 115 or 124 ammo in it and it will remain subsonic.  

However, if you have a good source of 147 Grain 9mm or reload then a muzzle can from Gemtech, SWR or AAC is what you need to look into.

BTW, I have a LRM M169, as well as Gemtech and SWR muzzle can.  All great stuff.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't you just mount a thread mount or fast attach suppressor to the muzzle of a 3inch 9mm barrel underneath an RAS and get the same thing?  [subsonic with all rounds and 32 DB dry reduction?

I know they aren't the same thing but I don't see how a 29DB integral should be quieter than a 32 DB muzzle mount.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Couldn't you just mount a thread mount or fast attach suppressor to the muzzle of a 3inch 9mm barrel underneath an RAS and get the same thing?  [subsonic with all rounds and 32 DB dry reduction?

I know they aren't the same thing but I don't see how a 29DB integral should be quieter than a 32 DB muzzle mount.

I don't know if 3" would be subsonic for the variety of loads that I know that the LRM drops down to subsonic velocities and even if 3" could do it, then you are comparing 3" to the LRM's ~9 or so inch ported barrel which is pretty darn accurate.  

My 5" Gemtech 3 lugged barrel is accurate as I need it to be but 3", I think is too short.

Then you may be running into reliability issues shooting non-suppressed at 3" with possibly not enough back pressure for reliable cycling.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just pulled that 3 inch length off of the results of goldenloki.com's gelatin test for the Kahr 9mm.  

3.1 inch barrel and almost everything is subsconic except +P loads which are not.  I think the idea of not experiencing accuracy is a little unfounded.  I do see where a integral should provide better accuracy by virtue of bleeding all gas and imparting no turbulence to the bullet,

Bar-sto is selling 1.25 inch guaranteed Glock barrels close to 3 inch length or at it.

I would just like to see an integral 13inch can getting high 30's for reduction, and think that at 29 most people might be better off doing something like an AAC 9mm handgun can with a stainless blast baffle so they can swap it to a couple guns.  

Of course then you run into threads and loosening so maybe the M9SD [which will only cycle non-camming barrels like the M9] or any fast attach is a better idea- so that's complicating slightly as you would need a rail system relieved on the bottom for the fast attach button and with an easilly removeable lower pannel.  

It may not cycle without the can but then I wouldn't see any reason to use it without either.

SORRY FOR THE DIVERSION- You'll be lucky to find people with Lauer experience- it's a small shop and a recent commer to the suppressor field.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It may not cycle without the can but then I wouldn't see any reason to use it without either.

I can.  When I go shooting with a lot of guys that want to try out my 9mm setup, they bring all kind of crap ammo like wolf, WWB etc....  I don't want that stuff going through one of my expensive suppressors + doing beta mag dumps.

I just pop my muzzle can off and they can rip and run.

I like options.  

I'm curious what accuracy you will be losing at that barrel length (3" vs ~5").  May not lose any but who knows.  I'm not hacking my barrel to find out.
Personally, I don't like shooting 115 or 124 grain at subsonic velocities to begin with.  
Reason being is that I shoot SMG matches and many times it doesn't have enough power to consistently take down the metal pepper poppers.
The 147's do it much better.
In addition, depending on the ammo you are using, the powder most likely won't be all burned up in a 3" barrel so that means more gas that the suppressor has to deal with which = louder and more fouling.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top