Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:47:47 AM EDT
Is there a difference?

I saw a post in the EE, indicating that there was, at least for the colts.

If so, what is the difference?  Is there any benefit to having one over the other in a semi rifle, other than the obvious PC-ness of having something that can't possibly be used in a MG?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there a difference?

I saw a post in the EE, indicating that there was, at least for the colts.

If so, what is the difference?  Is there any benefit to having one over the other in a semi rifle, other than the obvious PC-ness of having something that can't possibly be used in a MG?

Yes, there is a difference.  Here's a picture I stole off the web from somewhere, my apologies to the original poster.  The full auto is on the left.  There is no benefit from one or the other in a semi but Colt stopped producing the semi a long time ago and ships the fulll auto version in all of their guns.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 There is no benefit from one or the other in a semi but Colt stopped producing the semi a long time ago and ships the fulll auto version in all of their guns.

So does the auto version have the "trigger slap" issues associated with the use of a regular hammer, and non-ramped-semi-bolt?

Or does the full auto colt use its own 9mm specific full auto hammer?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So does the auto version have the "trigger slap" issues associated with the use of a regular hammer, and non-ramped-semi-bolt?

Or does the full auto colt use its own 9mm specific full auto hammer?

Yes, the full auto version has the trigger slap issue.  In fact, it's a lot more noticable in full auto then in semi.  The full auto version uses the standard M16 hammer, its the semi that requires a different hammer.  I had my bolt ramped and weighted by SAW.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
With the tungsten SAW 9mm auto carrier did you stick with a 9mm buffer?

Or did you go to something lighter???
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Heavier.  On the reccomendation of Ken at SAW I went with the X buffer.  Thousands of rounds through the M16/9 and still going.  I'm thinking of trying one of those MGI buffers, just to see what all the fuss is about.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heavier.  On the reccomendation of Ken at SAW I went with the X buffer.  Thousands of rounds through the M16/9 and still going.  I'm thinking of trying one of those MGI buffers, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I'll go heavier on the buffer and use faster ammo.  I have the SAW tungsten'ed and ramped carrier and an H-Buffer.

Using 115gr Remington UMC FMJ it was slooooow.....

Maybe I'll get some NATO pressure ammo and see how it runs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'll go heavier on the buffer and use faster ammo.  I have the SAW tungsten'ed and ramped carrier and an H-Buffer.

Using 115gr Remington UMC FMJ it was slooooow.....

Maybe I'll get some NATO pressure ammo and see how it runs.

I only shoot my reloads so have nothing to compare it to but different ammo would be worth a try.  I have no idea what my ROF is, but I can pull singles if I really try.  Normally a nice gentle squeeze and release gets me a perfect (for me) three round burst.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top