Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 2:24:45 PM EDT
Is the 5.56 and 9mm upper the same, just different ejection port door and deflector? And will colt 9mm parts fit a stripped upper?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
a 556 upper receiver can be used for 9mm as long as you have a 9mm  barrel and bolt.

You don't need forward assist with 9mm so many people prefer an upper that doesn't have it.  You can buy the 9mm ejection port kit from Rock River Arms and put it on your 556 receiver.

If you happen to find a dedicated (usually Colt) 9mm receiver, it will not have the gas tube hole and can not be used for a semi auto 556.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing the  upper does is hold the barrel in place, allow for shells to leave the upper, and provide a runway for the bolt to travel.

Only real significant difference between the 2,   556 will have a small hole for gas tube to enter the upper , and have provision for forward assist.

9mm upper will not have a hole for gas tube to enter, and usually have no provision for forward assist,  9mm uppers usually cost a small bit more.

I used a 556 mystery funshow flat top I had laying aroung collecting dust.

See the lack of port door on my upper?  You can either hang the std door assembly --or-- the "9mm" door/deflector assembly.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Will; the forward assist even work with a 9mm bolt? Or would i have to leave the thing out?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The COLT pattern bolt has no notches on the bolt body... the assist is decoration in this case.

I have never installed one to this upper, I do need to fill the hole though, as when I use a suppressor, it is another place for gas to flow out towards my face,  some day I guess I'll do something about it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Could i mill the bolt to add the forward assist notch, for some odd reason I'd like to have it working.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Well,  I suppose you could, as long as the surface is similar to that of the 556 carrier to where you cut useful notches..  Have to lay mine out tonight and look.  

Be advised as per the fella that cut the ramp on mine, that thing is hard, so carbide cutter probably be needed.  

Might be a cool thing to do, but the 9mm case is so short, so there not likely be any real suface area to restrict chambering, other than a fat round at the case mouth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
i would rather get a slabside upper reciever than try and destroy a bolt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Were can i get a stripped RRA or Colt 9mm upper.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top