Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 6:04:40 AM EDT
I think I've been through the archives pretty thoroughly, so sorry if I'm asking a previously answered question.

My 9mm oly hasn't arrived yet, but the mags/loader/etc did, and I have questions.

Any idea as to the various markings on sten mags? I've got a random assortment of numbers, letter stamps, the Star of David on a couple of them, and who knows what else. FWIW, these are the first sten mags I've ever seen and they appear to be built like a tank.

They're supposed to hold 32 rounds, but some hold 33 or even 34.

It appears that there's no real difference in bullet weight/shape with regards to which loads easier w/ the brass loop loader (which I must say is every bit as handy as I was told it would be).

As a general rule, do oly's run better w/ 115, 124, or 147 grain ammo? I'm sure fmj's run better in general, but which weight (either hp or fmj) is most likely to feed best?

How much velocity am I gonna gain over pistol specs shooting w/ a 16" barrel? If I decide to suppress the weapon later, will 147's @ 960 fps(pistol spec) still be subsonic w/ the carbine barrel?

Oh, if anyone would like pics of the mags (maybe for a pistol upper mag FAQ?)I could take them and email to someone, I don't have anywhere to host them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Star of David might mean the mag went to Israel at some point and that was the "Okay, it passes...." Just guessing.

A lot of my Sten mags have marks and numbers.  Some of the numbers were serial numbers....  I never really looked into it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top