Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2003 8:12:06 AM EDT
I am considering getting a 9mm colt setup in the next couple of months here.  However, I was under the impression that a lot of times it takes some work to get one of these running 100%, so I thought I would post a poll.  Please respond only if you have a colt style system (nothing against Oly owners).  Also, any comments on why things worked/didn't work would be great.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
RRA 9mm.....Had to tweak the ejector a bit...Simple fix,but took me a while to figure out what it needed..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Underdog,

What did you have to do to the ejector to make it work?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Underdog,

View Quote

If you look at the space that the ejector has to contact the case, it is minimal.....

The ejector needs to ride as close to the bolt at the side and the top without dragging, so as to get max contact with case' base to "punch" the empty out.

I voted "other", as Kurt cut my barrel from a blank, and it was chambered too deep (excess headspace), the fire pin would not strike the primer hard enough. My Hy-Tech block was set up right from the start, no ejector adjust needed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
give me a couple weeks and I will let ya know.
My upper should be here in a week and I am gonna get a hy-tech adapter and a ASA adaptor.

I like the factory style mag release the ASA adaptor provides, but hate the fact you have to notch the uzi mags to make it work.

I like the no-mag-mod the Hytech adaptor has, but don't care for the mag release.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Underdog,

View Quote

If you look at the space that the ejector has to contact the case, it is minimal.....

The ejector needs to ride as close to the bolt at the side and the top without dragging, so as to get max contact with case' base to "punch" the empty out.

I voted "other", as Kurt cut my barrel from a blank, and it was chambered too deep (excess headspace), the fire pin would not strike the primer hard enough. My Hy-Tech block was set up right from the start, no ejector adjust needed.
View Quote

Yep, Thats it..Thanks Hal,.......UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like the factory style mag release the ASA adaptor provides, but hate the fact you have to notch the uzi mags to make it work.

I like the no-mag-mod the Hytech adaptor has, but don't care for the mag release.
View Quote
[blue]

After notching maybe 15 mags, you could have gotten the Hy-Tech for free.

As to the mag release, I gots a remedy for that, a 1911 extended mag release button.... Have you cruised the tacked thread at top about the repair/fitting of Hy-Tech block?
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=166968[/url]
This has been turned into a web page hosted by "quarterbore"--- [url]http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/hy-techblock.html[/url]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pb8a211a343ca13581c9fd4d2a3731a16/fb0d3223.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
QB, I have read your site.
I am gonna get the hy-tech block and another one.
BTW good job on the site.

CHARLES
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine needed the ejector adjusted, the headspace fixed, and the bolt ramped.

Others I have worked on required:
-ejector adjustment
-headspace re cut
-bolt ramping
-extractor groove re-ground to de-burr edge
-extractor bent a little to grab better
-feed ramp channels and throat barrel
Feed ramp and throat made JHP Silver Bear
Ammo in a Vector UZI 72 round drum run 100% in
my M16.
-bolt surfaces re milled do to heavy brass rub
marks.  Who ever modified his UZI mags had
them too high and the rounds in the mag were
rubbing excessively on the bottom of the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mine needed the ejector adjusted, the headspace fixed, and the bolt ramped.

Others I have worked on required:
-ejector adjustment
-headspace re cut
-bolt ramping
-extractor groove re-ground to de-burr edge
-extractor bent a little to grab better
-feed ramp channels and throat barrel
Feed ramp and throat made JHP Silver Bear
Ammo in a Vector UZI 72 round drum run 100% in
my M16.
-bolt surfaces re milled do to heavy brass rub
marks.  Who ever modified his UZI mags had
them too high and the rounds in the mag were
rubbing excessively on the bottom of the bolt.
View Quote

Hmmm...right now I have an HK clone that has been back for repair work twice and still won't run. I was thinking of getting a refund and going with an AR 9mm, but sounds like there would most likely be probelms with it too.

JoeBlack, is there any brand that seems to be more reliable/higher quality?  I was looking at RRA mainly (excluding the usual suspects of Hesse/ASA, etc. which I would not buy in the first place...)
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]
For the most part everthing Joe has stated are "extras"....Ramped bolt,clearence cuts,etc...I feel that if you stick with A colt or Rockriver you should be fine...If any problems should show up....Ask away on the boards..If you state you problems and the varibles clearly someone will help and has Fixed the exact thing your seeing....Either way youll be better off than with a "Spechal Wepoens"..................UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hmmm...right now I have an HK clone that has been back for repair work twice and still won't run. I was thinking of getting a refund and going with an AR 9mm, but sounds like there would most likely be probelms with it too.

JoeBlack, is there any brand that seems to be more reliable/higher quality?  I was looking at RRA mainly (excluding the usual suspects of Hesse/ASA, etc. which I would not buy in the first place...)
View Quote

I have a RRA barrel, ASA mag well adapter, and converted UZI mags.  I build this myself on CNC mills and CNC lathes. The ASA adapter is snug in the lower receiver and the UZI mags are snug in the ASA adapter.  I like the close fit, it's like tooling to me. I've gone over 1,800 rounds with out a jam. Yes, my life is so boring I keep track of the quantity of rounds fired!!!YMMV on the ASA, I like it. The colt style never ends up in the same place twice because it's so sloppy.  However, look above at the poll, some colt style run right out of the box.  Full auto is different then semi, so, I don't know if the poll reflects auto users or semi users....... As far as all the "fixes" I've done for people, these were to make the gun run in full auto with out problems.

Speaking of 9mm, I make Optic Rails for UZI Top Covers too. [url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=118&t=183985[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
My Colt 635 upper, Colt 1 piece magazine adapter, Colt M16A1 lower and Colt 20 & 32rd magazines have been 100%

The only problem I have ever had was with Colt LEO magazines. Asjusting the spacing of the feed lips fixed that and now they are 100% also.

For controlability, smooth running and to save wear on my lower I had the bolt ramped and a tungsten weight installed. I also use an AAC buffer to slow it down and smooth it out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a RRA 9mm for a few months and had constant problems. I had a couple mags that seemed to work, but they would fail to feed or eject sometimes. I wound up selling the rifle and got a new Glock 17 for it. Next spring I'll probably get a new Vector semi-auto Uzi or an Oly Arms PCR-9.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#14]
ASA upper and block.  Was missing the firing pin spring (made one out of some springs I had).  Mag that I got w/ it was a USA, so it was okay, but I tweaked it.  It was a slightly used unit.....so I don't think it counts.  Demo unit.

I like tinkering.  I've got it running quite nicely now.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top