Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2003 6:19:45 PM EDT
I got the idea of a Colt/Oly style hybrid after I screwed the SOCOM block into the receiver.

I chopped the SOCOM ($60) and used it as the filler block then I had the mag catch slot milled out at the local machine shop ($25). The mag catch is a one piece milled out of steel, very strong.  I bought it from a board member after he had a few made for a similar project he had abandoned ($15).  
The whole thing works great and I haven’t had any function problems, works just like a standard mag catch.
The only thing I would have done differently is use roll pins instead of machine screws to pin the block in.  I would have had a different block made, but the SOCOM was already a proprietary type of setup so I couldn’t have a new filler block w/o running into screw alignment problems.  
I don’t know if it was cost effective compared to simply getting a Colt style, but it was still a fun project, not to mention it is an original!

Before…

After! The catch is still in the white. I have to get it parkerized.

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Boom!  Man that looks great!  I'm glad it all worked out so nice.  If my Colt-style project fails, I will no doubt go the way you did.

[party]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you simply graft 2 sections of mag catch together to get the extra length?

Lets add a spin, reduce the thickness of the rear block, and make a front  block, looks like a possible way to feed the Colt pattern again, seeing the other block set is "lost" somewhere....
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Did you simply graft 2 sections of mag catch together to get the extra length?
View Quote

Its all one piece (steel).

Lets add a spin, reduce the thickness of the rear block, and make a front  block, looks like a possible way to feed the Colt pattern again, seeing the other block set is "lost" somewhere....
View Quote

I considered that too, but since Olympic feeds from the front portion of the mag well I went with what works.  If I had my Own mill I would have created a two block set just to try it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, sweet.

By the way, who had the longer mag catches made?  I might want one or two, for "parts"....

I wonder if your notch for this matches up w/ the notches in the Colt notched Sten mags I have?  I guess it all depends on the Oly bolt and how it positions the mag.

An Oly 10mm has been fed w/ a Colt type block.  The front was modified heavily, but it worked.  They used 41 cal Uzi mags w/ the modifed block to feed the 10mm.  So in theory, a two peice block can feed an Oly.

But you had fun doing the project, that is the important thing!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
By the way, who had the longer mag catches made?  I might want one or two, for "parts"....
View Quote

I bought it from Corvus, and IIRC he bought it from the guy who made a small batch of them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An Oly 10mm has been fed w/ a Colt type block.  The front was modified heavily, but it worked.  They used 41 cal Uzi mags w/ the modifed block to feed the 10mm.  So in theory, a two peice block can feed an Oly.
View Quote

Circuits has done the same thing with a 9mm Oly, and I'm doing the same thing right now with my Oly 9mm, as a prelude to one in .45ACP.  That's why I had the spare mag catch to sell to Boom_Stick!  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Well guys I am Glad to see my mag catch worked.  If I had more time I would mill up some more. But I am busy building a semi 50bmg Hyperdel right now.  I still need to finish my Sten lower, but time is the major issue. If people are really interrested in the Mag catches email me and If there is enough interest, say 10 or so I will make up a batch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well guys I am Glad to see my mag catch worked.
View Quote

Your mag catches rule!  My application changed slightly, so I will probably end up not using them, BUT, I could very well end up using them as well, depending on how my project fares.

But I am busy building a semi 50bmg Hyperdel right now.
View Quote

A WHAT?   TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My application changed slightly, so I will probably end up not using them...
View Quote

If you dont use 'em let me know, I'll buy another one! [bounce]

They're built like a tank but it's always good to have an extra especially since they're proprietary.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Corvus The Hyperdel has some AR15 parts so I will say it is still on topic.  Here is the website  http://www.hyperdel.com/
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll take an extended mag catch if anybody has an extra one.  Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top