Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 6:18:45 AM EDT
The range officer (current) at my local range is attempting to forbid ordinary jacketed rounds, claiming they damage the backstop.  We're talking 9mm/.45acp.

The backstop is simple angled steel plating.  It doesn't seem like a problem to me at all.

Does anyone know of any data, or have any professional experience that I can show to refute the claim that jacketed ammunition causes backstop damage?

Thanks,

-- Freddy
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
copper is softer than steel, and so is lead. The 9mm and 45 will spread the impact over a greater area. Concentrated 22LR is a problem, takes years to do damage....

Tonawanda Sportsman Club in Tonawanda NY has a 50 ft pistol range in the basement... most of the users are Bullseye shooters. The backstop is steel plate, angled to put slug down into sandbox. On that plate is another 12x12 steel plate directly behind the target. The area that typically represents the black area on a 50 ft rimfire target was all worked-peened from constant 22 impact in 1 area. We would shoot 45, 9mm and 38 Super in the basement for IPSC in the winter, and the slugs simply splatter-flatten out, no dents.

Your range guy is F-O-S.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top