BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quality mags are routinely sold for $8 each.  I see no reason why a person wouldn’t just buy a 100 unit case.  Storage mags. Then start obtaining user mags.

I had owned ARs for 10 years when the 1994 ban hit.  I didn’t have enough.  I remember paying $85 each for worn Glock LE trade in mags.

Don’t be that guy.  $8 today = $80 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
20 is the bare minimum. I feel I should have at least enough to fill up five mag carriers (150 rounds) on my assorted kit and to replace each of those mags up to three times.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I based it on an expected remaining lifetime of broken magazines and the possibility of another mag ban over 10 rounds.
I figured that even with some significant use. I would most likely never break or lose more than 20 plastic ones.

Plastic 20 30’s, 20 20’s, metal 10 each.
10 5/10 rounders in plastic.

Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

This.

Never again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Originally Posted By 18B30:
I remember 1994

This.

Never again.

This.  

Since then, I buy for me, for my kids and my future grandkids.

They're a perishable item...I train and they wear.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Two-dogs:

This.  

Since then, I buy for me, for my kids and my future grandkids.

They're a perishable item...I train and they wear.

View Quote

They can also get lost.  Take a very dynamic class and there are mags laying around everywhere after a training evolution.  Think about a two-way engagement.  Those ten mags could be lost to the wild quickly.  I find it fascinating that people will spend $1000-6000 on a rifle set up and then $80 on mags.  Spend a grand and have enough mags to feed the rifle indefinitely.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy them now and stack them deep while you can.  Aluminum and polymer magazines.  I prefer gen M3 pmags, Surefeeds and D&H.  50 per rifle anyone?  They will be worth more than physical gold at some point IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
1000 rounds worth of loaded AR mags minimum + as many empties as you want to afford.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Ten 30 round 5.56 AR mags per rifle is a start. 100 is good, 1,000 is perfect. Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Accountant30339:
There is a formula..... 1/2 the price of the gun for optics and 1/2 the price of the gun for magazines. So, a $1,000 dollar AR = $500 for optics and $500 for magazines. Total investment of $2,000.

Accountant

ETA: Mags are disposable items. Buy more than you ever think you will ever need, then buy a few more. During the AWB, I was refurbishing old worn out mags, because we couldn't purchase new mags. That time sucked... and I am concerned those days will return.
View Quote

An accountant should know the difference between liabilities and investments.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the “10 per rifle minimum” baseline. I have around 125, but I’ll buy more as I find deals.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
100 baseline
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
You will never have enough. Just keep buying. Then too the SHTF is never going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 3:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#13]
Ten 30rnd mags per AR at the very least if you are on a severe budget. Buy more as you go. One or two here and there. Keep buying until you get into the hundreds and still keep going. Follow suit with ammo. Buy what you can, as much as you can as often as you can.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 4:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#14]
In general, minimum magazine count even for a light usage owner, is
-2 20-round magazines
-3 30-round magazines

You'll find you use the 20's more than the 30's, for general range bench shooting and such.  I prefer them for lower weight/bulk home-defense and hunting usage at times as well - but that's just a personal preference.  Note that the AR15 controls are actually designed around the 20 (which places your thumb right at the bolt release, upon insertion).  You'll also want at least 3 30rounds.  That will satisfy any 3-gun, competition, or other general usage requirement for the rest of your life.

More then that is rarely a mistake, though personally I think some people go overboard.  If you end up with 100 30-round magazines, I kind of consider that "too many".  Only in terms of consumption of resources in a non-consumable item you'll never even use, as well as just taking up space.  100  $10 30-round magazines is $1,000; $800 of which could have been spent on ammo... or beer.  They will never write the law like 1994 again, and current rendition they have been trying (they're always trying), would prohibit the transfer or resell of grandfathered high-cap magazines.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Start with 10 per AR and keep buying them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on what you want the magazines for. For responding to a active shooter or bump in the night or reacting to something that gets away from home. Best real of thumb  is 7 30rnds in 3 double mags on chest rig or a active shooter bag and one in the rifle. And if you have a side arm in your kit 3  mags  if you need more than that you probably going to die anyway. But for mags at home you can have as many as you want. You can get them in bulk so you can buy like a 10 pk 20 pk  and I see real good prices on 50 pk. Just have enough to where you can have some for training/range mags. Some in a bug out bag and so forth

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It all depends on what you want the magazines for. For responding to a active shooter or bump in the night or reacting to something that gets away from home. Best real of thumb  is 7 30rnds in 3 double mags on chest rig or a active shooter bag and one in the rifle. And if you have a side arm in your kit 3  mags  if you need more than that you probably going to die anyway. But for mags at home you can have as many as you want. You can get them in bulk so you can buy like a 10 pk 20 pk  and I see real good prices on 50 pk. Just have enough to where you can have some for training/range mags. Some in a bug out bag and so forth

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939579089?pid=995283

This is a nice bag for quick mag bug out with a few other gear.

I purchased a few.

YMMV

Be aware of Midway USA Bad CRS.  After over 25 years they showed their true colors.+

The true owner, Larry Potterfield needs to know what is going on in his company.

I wish him wll after his hunting incedent.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Redoubt99:
100 baseline
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
However many you get you will want it to be a multiple of x2.

Why?

Because when you are using the gun for self defense you will want a minimum of 2 mags, one in the gun and one spare on the gun or in a pouch.

Why?

Because the purpose of having a spare mag is not just about more ammo, it is also about malfunction clearances, or if you drop one, etc.

So I recommend a BARE MINIMUM of 6, or 3 sets of 2.

You use 2 at a time and hold the rest in reserve.

In order to make this work as good as it can you will also want a magazine loader such as a strip lula which can load and unload both loose ammo and ammo on stripper clips. This will decrease wear and tear on your feed lips helping the mags last longer. It will also make the frequent loading of mags since you have a limited quantity more tolerable.

You will inevitably want to get more especially when you go to a formal training class. 6 is just the bare minimum starting point.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#21]
how many do you have , now add 30
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I had more than enough for my wife and I. I was buying them for my great grandchildren at one point. Laws in this state changed, and I liquidated everything as a result.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd say 25 per rifle.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#24]
How much money is enough?
How much ammo?

The answer is ALWAYS more.

100 AR mags is $800.  This is less than one decent rifle and about the same price as one Aimpoint CompM4 or T2.  It’s about 1500 rounds of ammo.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#25]
21 mags per rifle is a minimum standard:

7 dedicated exclusively to training
7 dedicated exclusively to “bump in the night” duty
7 in reserve when you damage or lose one of the above

Mark the Training mags so they don’t get mixed into duty rotation.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RandyBroshankle:
I'd say 25 per rifle.

View Quote

lol , theres no way that works for everyone , maybe if you have one or two rifles , doesnt matter how many rifles you have you are only going to shoot as much as you shoot  , and if you have 10 AR's then what is 250 mags going to do that 30 will not do
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Migmaqman:

lol , theres no way that works for everyone , maybe if you have one or two rifles , doesnt matter how many rifles you have you are only going to shoot as much as you shoot  , and if you have 10 AR's then what is 250 mags going to do that 30 will not do
View Quote

Put a smile on your face.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#28]
There is no right/wrong answer here. The need differs for everyone.

I know guys that have but 2-3 mags total and have been content for more than a decade. Thrilled that they have a spare mag.

Pick a number based on your anticipated need. You'll end up with more. We always do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Realistically, as many as you can afford.  Practically, 21 mags per rifle.  Even if you have duplicate rifle.  Mags got crazy, stupid prices during the AWB.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
I remember 1994
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#31]
10? 10? Maybe 30, more if you have more guns.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
I based it on an expected remaining lifetime of broken magazines and the possibility of another mag ban over 10 rounds.
I figured that even with some significant use. I would most likely never break or lose more than 20 plastic ones.

Plastic 20 30’s, 20 20’s, metal 10 each.
10 5/10 rounders in plastic.

View Quote

Same here....compared to the number of range mags and how long they have been used without issues, based on this I will be able to reach Moses age and still have parts left over

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Enough for what?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Vague:
10 per rifle, minimum.
View Quote

This is the right answer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't have an exact number, but have made a habit of grabbing them when on sale, or on a deal with rifle bags, etc.

I have probably twenty mags in use with my rifles but also have a box of unused mags in the closet with close to fifty more, and will continue to add to it over time...can never have too many mags.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
10 is just a starting point, figure at least 25+ 30rd mags per rifle all loaded with enough spare ammo to reload each mag twice minimum.

Course if ten mags is all you want then just get ten and be a gun hobbyist.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Minimum basic:
7 per rifle
4 per handgun

More is better
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#39]
10???  Are you serious
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
10???  Are you serious
View Quote

If I were buying for myself, I would not have a problem with 10 quality mags on hand. However, I've stockpiled so as to not let my great grandchildren down, so I needed 11 or so.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200] [#41]
I keep 10 per gun, and buy more when I can.  I actually have way more than that, but have 10 set aside for each AR.

Yes, I, too, remember 1994 all too well.

DSG Arms has 10-pks of black or gray teflon aluminum USGI type 30 rnd mags for $100.  Palmetto has Pmag Gen 2 30 rnd
polymer mags for $8.99 ea if you order min 5 and use the PMAG discount code.  I've got 20 of these, no problems, 100%
feed and function.

Oddly Gunmagwarehouse.com is just about out of stock, but previously has been my go-to supplier of magazines.  I like
C-Products 30 rnd alum, but not to be had at Gunmagwarehouse right now.  EDIT:  Most color C-Prod mags back in stock.

Most of my mags are Okay (also sold as NHMTG and Surefeed), but D&H, DSG, Bravo Co, Palmetto, C-Products (sold as
Duramag) are all good USGI Alum mags.  Never a problem with any of them.  I also have older USGI mags, D.L.Sanchez,
Adventure Line, Parsons, Center, Labelle, etc, and those all have had the original black followers replaced first with "green"
anti-tilt followers when those became available.  Later, I replaced all of those with Magpul followers, which has really made
mags 100% reliable.

EDIT:  Okay is no longer producing 30 rnd USGI mags.

My oldest, most beat up mags are tossed in a box for "range duty".  They all have Magpul followers, which seem to overcome
any weak spring issues, too.  As old and ugly as these range mags are, they work fine.

Mags do wear out, get damaged, etc.  I number my mags, and if any give any problem that I can't trace to any other reason
and have narrowed it down to the magazine, I will discard.

Other things you want in your kit, for EACH rifle, a GI cleaning kit, extra lube and patches, a couple of stripper clip guides (aka
"spoons").  EDIT:  In each kit a paint can opener.  Handy for prying out a stuck case.

I use the Galati GLMP30 mag pouches.  They have 6 pockets with velcro flaps.  Velcro noise?  After you have expended 30 rnds
from the mag in your rifle, they know you are around, the Velcro is not going to give you away at that point.  I let the strap
adjustment out all the way, put it over my head and over my right shoulder, pouch hanging on my left hip.  Takes 1 second to
saddle up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Vague:
10 per rifle, minimum.
View Quote

That's my minimum level.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#43]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Quality mags are routinely sold for $8 each.  I see no reason why a person wouldn’t just buy a 100 unit case.  Storage mags. Then start obtaining user mags.

I had owned ARs for 10 years when the 1994 ban hit.  I didn’t have enough.  I remember paying $85 each for worn Glock LE trade in mags.

Don’t be that guy.  $8 today = $80 tomorrow.
View Quote

And that’s assuming a future ban would allow transfer of preban products. A lot of the latest legislation bans all sales and transfers.

Best to play it safe and plan excessively.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Not even going into tactical boogaloo fantasies, it's practical to have a pile of mags.

They wear out, break, dent and crack. Junk the mags that don't work.

They hold their value, you can always sell or trade them away.

How many rounds you shoot when going shooting?

100? 200? 500?

Have enough mags so you aren't spending range time reloading and fighting with a junk magazine.

STANAG mag is also one of the most popular in the world, so it's not like your screwed if you sell that one rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#45]
FYI about USGI (Stanag) mags:

(CAGE = Commercial And Government Entity)

CAGE codes on magazines:

OKay Industries- #33710
(Also made UI/Simmonds Industries)

Center Industies- #6P199
(Parsons bought Adventureline, later bought
by Center)

Parsons #31907

Cooper #30389 *****BAD MAGS!!!*****

FN #3S679

Labelle #90435
General Stamping #90435
(Labelle also made Bushmaster and DPMS)

D. L. Sanchez - #87NJ2

Okay (Surefeed) #33710
NHMTG (New Hampshire Marketing) #33710
Colt #33710

COLT INDUSTRIES INC (NY) #00928
COLTS MFG CO INC (NH) #13629
COLT INDUSTRIES OPERATING CORP (CT) #51712

D&H #04TQ4
DSG #04TQ4 *
Bravo Company #04TQ4

Palmetto State Arms Q4TQ4 same as D&H

Defense Solutions Group (DSG) #1L0J5 *
* DSG mags have "CAGE 1L0J5" on baseplate, and "04TQ4" on right side of body.  
  Date stamped on left side of body.

FNT INDUSTRIES INC #33996

C-Products (Duramag) #6M9N8

MagPul Industies (P-Mag) #1LX50
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Minimum 3 for any handgun or rifle.
Since AR mags are THE CHEAPEST to buy, there's nothing wrong with a footlocker full either.
What I would recommend is to try a bunch of different brands and see what works for you.

I do like 20 rounders overall for ease of carrying and for tabletop use.
Most of my 20's are various brands of GI straights, Lancers (light and easy to carry), E-landers (steel bodies and some of those have CMMG steel followers, Duramags, and Magpuls, including a few old gen 2 straight 20s.

Can't go wrong with plain ol' milspec aluminum straight 20s from OKAY/Surefeed or Brownells.

Just have enough that when one fails, mark it. Second fail, toss it in the trash. Mags are a disposable item and an unreliable mag is trouble.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Oldtoad:
Been mostly stripper clips with the SKS.
Moving up, looking for opinions. Thinking 20 rounders and maybe a plate or something to insert for hunting.
Also, where to buy?
View Quote

I personally feel it depends on what your intended use is. Hunting (and in general) follow your state law on capacity  If your going to use the rifle for plinking at the range  here and there then 3 or 4 will be more than adequate.  If it will be for home defense and plinking I say the same, 3 or 4.  If you are preparing for SHTF then I would recommend whatever your personal load out is times 3.  If you wanna be ready for anything to include another magazine ban then stack them up as deep as possible while they are available.  

I prefer standard capacity (30 round) magazines.  Given what is now available magazine wise I recommend BCM for their grey aluminum magazines and gun mag warehouse for gen m3 pmags.  FYI I have no connection to the aforementioned companies I merely use some of their kit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I loke to do 10 per rifle that might need to be used for social work. I would buy 30 rounders and have a couple 10s and 20s laying around. I want the most firepower in the best package and 30 fits that space. 40s get to be a little too long for a lot of application but I still have 4 of those. Mags are cheap right now so stock up. You never know which way the winds will blow in and after 2024.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
21 mags per rifle is a minimum standard:

7 dedicated exclusively to training
7 dedicated exclusively to “bump in the night” duty
7 in reserve when you damage or lose one of the above

Mark the Training mags so they don’t get mixed into duty rotation.
View Quote

This is how I do it although my 7.62 load is 5 mags instead of 7.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I think the "Minimum" of 10 Magazines per Gun is a good answer. And add more as you can afford to, because sooner or later you will not be able to buy them.
Something often overlooked is Stripper Clips. I recommend having a large quantity of Stripper Clips, Card Board Sleeves, and Bandoleers on hand plus a few 50 cal ammo cans to store your Clip loaded ammo in. Also not mentioned is a Bag for empty magazines in the field.

I have AR's with far fewer magazines than 10 at the moment.
Tactical Solutions 22 LR Ar15 I believe I have around 7 Black Dog Magazines and probably 3 others that came with the Upper that I never use.
6.5 Grendel "NEW BUILD" only Two 10 rounders at the moment. I will add more, but probably not over 10.
300 HAM'R "NEW BUILD" only Three 300BO Magazines at the moment One 20 and Two 30's. I am 100% sure that I will add a 10 rounder and several more 20's and 30's in the next year. This could easily be my go to AR for general purpose carry.
5.56 Magazines: I still have a few Vietnam era 20's that I shoot the most. I sold all of my worn magazines the last magazine scare. I bought some of the Brownell's 20 rounders a few years back. They seem to be as good of quality as the USGI 20's. Other magazines are USGI 30's as well as P-Mags, and even an HK Roller Mag. One priority of mine is buying magazines of good enough quality that they run 100%.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob R
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top