Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 4:50:13 PM EDT
OK.  So I bought a Brown Bar upper for a cheaper build.  Everything works as advertised but I just don't know about the BCG as a whole.  Would it make sense to upgrade and keep the original as a spare.  It is MPI but I am just curious as to it's origin and just wondered if an upgrade would be warranted?  Barrel aside if everything else is in spec would the new BCG be money well spent?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Duh.  That should be Brown Bear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's MPI, what's the problem?   Are you also concerned about the barrel?  

If you're not going to war with it, I'd leave it alone.  Even if you're using it for Home defense, it's probably overkill.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's operating correctly, I'd just stick with the BCG that came with it.  
However, with the current great deals going on BCG's, picking up a spare (or more) would be a great idea, too.  

For Example -
Monmouth Reloading has Toolcraft BCGs on sale right now starting @ $79.99 - http://www.monmouthreloading.com/?s=Toolcraft+&post_type=product
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really worried about the barrel.  No good accuracy tests yet but after all this isn't supposed to be a long range tack driver.  Mostly a range/practice piece.  Not to say I wouldn't press it into service if need be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I should stop hyper-ventilating about the little shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It's just a budget rifle, if you replace it you will have a budget rifle with a good BCG and a spare budget BCG.

If you want a high quality rifle, get a high quality rifle to go along with the budget one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to upgrade I saw psa has bolts for 60$ on sale
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
OK.  Don't flame me.  I am not an AR expert.  Not a newbie but not really as experienced as you guys.  So my question is this.  If I have a low budget rifle assuming all things are in spec, how is it an inferior piece if I replace BCG, trigger. etc.?  Maybe I don't get all of the subtleties but I want to learn. Maybe it's the forged vs. billet thing?  This is an honest question and I am trying to learn.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Imho, it's a waste of money to buy a new bcg and check headspace too when it already came with a decent bcg. Save the money for another complete upper that will be on sale for black friday.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK.  Don't flame me.  I am not an AR expert.  Not a newbie but not really as experienced as you guys.  So my question is this.  If I have a low budget rifle assuming all things are in spec, how is it an inferior piece if I replace BCG, trigger. etc.?  Maybe I don't get all of the subtleties but I want to learn. Maybe it's the forged vs. billet thing?  This is an honest question and I am trying to learn.
View Quote
Budget rifles are generally made up of lower grade materials all around, that doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them, but changing one part isn't going to make much difference.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's operating correctly, I'd just stick with the BCG that came with it.  
However, with the current great deals going on BCG's, picking up a spare (or more) would be a great idea, too.  

For Example -
Monmouth Reloading has Toolcraft BCGs on sale right now starting @ $79.99 - http://www.monmouthreloading.com/?s=Toolcraft+&post_type=product
View Quote
http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-phosphate-c-p-9310-mpi-complete.htm

$64.95

I own one they're nice.  Have other TCs as well. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The parts market is much better than it ever has been regarding parts quality.
Relax, and shoot the shit out of your rifle until you see parts wear or breakage.  Let us know how many thousands of rounds it took.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
If it's not broke why fix it
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#15]
If it's your only rifle, a spare bolt kit or full bolt carrier group isn't a bad idea for a future purchase.

Plenty of budget rifles out there that are 100% reliable.

Did you get that from Bear Creek Arsenal? If so, I'd stop losing sleep over it and shoot it. All the Bear Creek stuff I've seen is pretty well made for the money. I'm running one of their BCGs in a PSA upper and it's been fine.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top