Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 12:27:36 AM EDT
It has been said here many times, but I tried a few years back and didn't even know it was an issue.

Attachment Attached File

I put a brake on this gun using a peel washer instead of shims and used a clamshell style vice block to do it. Two things that aren't great ideas.

The symptom: thing shot horrible groups. BCM upper, Larue stealth barrel, g rail, g trigger, by all counts it should have been a tack driver but nope. Made 4-6 inch groups at 100 yards regardless of ammo. I tried different scopes and mounts too.

Finally had enough and took it apart. Index pin was fubar, upper is beat to hell and cracked.

I robbed an upper receiver off a different gun, reassembled with with a 51t brake (shimmed properly) and went shooting. I'm pleased to say it shoots better than me now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
barrel blocks and a cheap harbor freight vise are cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And people still chance it.
View Quote
"I thought it could never happen to me"
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It may shoot like shit, but at least it doesn't have galling marks from the aluminum barrel blocks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are the reaction rod devices worth trying?  I’m to the point with my lead jaw liners they need replaced.  Only got 10 years out of them
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have broken a couple barrel wrenches.  I have never damaged an upper receiver.  

Some people could break a bowling ball. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#8]
There’s nothing wrong with peel washers. I use them.

When joining any threaded parts you hold one of the threaded parts and turn the other.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are the reaction rod devices worth trying?  I’m to the point with my lead jaw liners they need replaced.  Only got 10 years out of them
View Quote
I'd like to try/have one myself, just can't justify it when my blocks are good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I began using a Magpul BEV Block after purchasing a couple of billet receivers.  So far it works well and keeps everything lined up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not worth it... Save yourself the trouble and get the Windham Weaponry barreling jig instead. Though barrel blocks are still better for installing or removing muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or two blocks of wood have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a reaction rod now, it's seen a lot of.use from me and my friends. It is pricey but three of us went in on one. It will outlive all of us and our great grand children.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
get the Windham Weaponry barreling jig instead.
View Quote
It would be good if they existed, as a product for sale to consumers at least.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They do, I own one finally.

You need to get caught up. > https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Windham-Weaponry-upper-assembly-jig-/489-254215/&page=2
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You need to get caught up. > https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Windham-Weaponry-upper-assembly-jig-/489-254215/&page=2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$350, they aren't going to sell many of those.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reaction rods are ideal for installing muzzle devices. But imho using rubber lined vise blocks is just as good. Never been a fan of peel washers, much prefer crush washers.

Arnzen Arms sell reaction rods for around $75 delivered and they are every bit as good and well made as any other brand named model.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I confess...  I took the muzzle brake off a AR just using the flats on the end of the muzzle device.

my son's AR shot for shit since day one, but it could be cheap ammo, or bad optic.

It is a Mossberg AR which the reviews said were shooting tight groups.

How would I check to see if I've loosed the bbl from extension, or if the muzzle nut is loose or if I've somehow FUBARed the old bbl / Receiver?

Guess I'd have to strip off the free float handguard?

I picked up a new Melonited bbl a long whiles back that I was planning to mount for him soon anyway, but would like the experts opinions on what to check and how to check...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree... I was in for $500 though, so $350 didn't seem to bad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Good thing upper receivers are rather cheap.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I use the Geissele reaction rod exclusively for muzzle devices and barrel nuts.  I aim for 20 ft/lbs for muzzle devices using new crush washers  -- sometimes I use sand paper to take a hair off the crush washer to prevent having to turn more than 1/2 rotation
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Are timing shims re usable,
thinking about taking my brake off and
going back to a flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#23]
My question to the OP. Was this from one time use, or repeated removal and re installation of the muzzle device?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, could be a lot worse I guess! I changed a few A2's out with my clamshell before I picked up a BEV block, luckily I never had an issue, but I could see how it can happen easily!

I'll "dispose" of that upper for you if needed. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Leather grips barrels very well.  Just put a strip of leather around the barrel up close to the muzzle threads and grip it hard, really hard, in a good bench vise.  You can then remove or install muzzle devices with ease.

Always grip a barrel at the end where you are working, and as close to the work as possible.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a Super Reaction Rod from Primary Arms last time they had a sale on Geissele products. I wanna say it was 99 bucks on sale. Worth every penny. It's rock solid and I didn't bother with receiver blocks when I torqued down the Midwest Industries barrel nut to 40 lb ft on a .300BLK build a few months ago. Needless to say it didn't budge at all when I put the KVP linear comp on the barrel either.

The Super has to brass tabs that clamp down on the ejection port to keep the upper receiver from torquing on the extension tab when you're installing the barrel. Works great once you remember to take the pieces off it before you slide the receiver over it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got a Super Reaction Rod from Primary Arms last time they had a sale on Geissele products. I wanna say it was 99 bucks on sale. Worth every penny. It's rock solid and I didn't bother with receiver blocks when I torqued down the Midwest Industries barrel nut to 40 lb ft on a .300BLK build a few months ago. Needless to say it didn't budge at all when I put the KVP linear comp on the barrel either.

The Super has to brass tabs that clamp down on the ejection port to keep the upper receiver from torquing on the extension tab when you're installing the barrel. Works great once you remember to take the pieces off it before you slide the receiver over it.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IMG_0901.jpg
View Quote
I own the Super Reaction Rod and I tried to like it but it's a very fiddly system that takes a while to set up, and the Allen drive slots of the two tiny hex screws that go through the brass wedges stripped out on mine within three barrel assembly jobs.

The Windham Weaponry barreling jig is a much better and easier to use tool that offers much more support to the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My question to the OP. Was this from one time use, or repeated removal and re installation of the muzzle device?
View Quote
One time, remove a standard flash hider with crush washer, install new brake.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I confess...  I took the muzzle brake off a AR just using the flats on the end of the muzzle device.

my son's AR shot for shit since day one, but it could be cheap ammo, or bad optic.

It is a Mossberg AR which the reviews said were shooting tight groups.

How would I check to see if I've loosed the bbl from extension, or if the muzzle nut is loose or if I've somehow FUBARed the old bbl / Receiver?

Guess I'd have to strip off the free float handguard?

I picked up a new Melonited bbl a long whiles back that I was planning to mount for him soon anyway, but would like the experts opinions on what to check and how to check...
View Quote
FWIW, I had a Mossberg bolt action that SUCKED for accuracy. I got so aggravated with it I sold it off. My cheaper Savage outperforms it in every way with a worse trigger.

So It very well could be a crap barrel I dunno.  I always check scope mounting first, they can shake loose. After that I look at ammo. It's usually one of the two. From what you are saying I doubt it's the barrel nut or extension, but to inspect any of that you'd need to get the rail off yes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I use the magpul bev block. works great for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I began using a Magpul BEV Block after purchasing a couple of billet receivers.  So far it works well and keeps everything lined up.
View Quote
The reaction rod is a great tool, but for muzzle devices and a couple of other AR15 maintenance issues, the $45 Magpul Bevblock tool is way more than adequate.  I also use a set of barrel clamps made out of some kind of polymer occasionally that I have in the toolbox.  The homemade wood blocks can work just fine if done properly.  On the use of wood, I noticed there is also a resin you can get to apply between the wood and barrel the makes the grip more effective without marring the barrel finish.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad I saw this thread, I had bought a clamshell and was ready to use it. I'll be getting the BEV block instead and using that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reaction Rod is worth every cent. Takes all pressure off the upper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I own and use both types, the Block and Claim Shell holders.
People who work on and build AR guns for a living would say they never have that problem with either type of holders.
I am not saying the Geissele Reaction Rod is a bad tool, it works too and works good.

The problem that was experienced was due to, to much or over torque being applied.
Crush washer normally can only be used once and some times a crush washer and a shim is required to clock your muzzle devise correctly.
Also how the barrel mfr finished the threads up to the shoulder of the barrel has a lot to do with installation methods of the muzzle devise.
It's possible to over torque the muzzle devise and damage barrel and or threads, etc.

The manufactures torque spec for their muzzle devise is way way less than what was applied to cause the upper receiver damage as shown.
The muzzle devise manufacture will give you a torque spec range and supply or give you the Loc-Tite product spec to use so it won't loosen.
Using the correct torque spec and Loc-Tite products is going to give a good end result and you wont spend money on another specialty tool.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I can not help but think that that looks like that came from a loose barrel nut. My thinking would be this: If the barrel nut is tight/properly torqued, the barrel extension should in theory not be able to move. If the barrel nut is too loose, I could see the barrel/extension being able to rotate inside the upper and therefore causing this damage. When you removed the barrel, how tight was the barrel nut?

I am far from a AR expert and neither am I a gunsmith. I am a mechanic and know about proper torque on fasteners. That is why this is so confusing. This is also the first time I have seen such damage.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Incorrect and correct...

The standard Reaction Rod takes all of the traditional torque that would normally be evenly spread out on the exterior surfaces of the upper when using upper receiver vise blocks and instead places it all on the upper receiver's indexing pin notch and the indexing pin.

Basically, the standard Reaction Rod creates a worst case scenario when used for installing or removing barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Incorrect and correct...

The standard Reaction Rod takes all of the traditional torque that would normally be evenly spread out on the exterior surfaces of the upper when using upper receiver vise blocks and instead places it all on the upper receiver's indexing pin notch and the indexing pin.

Basically, the standard Reaction Rod creates a worst case scenario when used for installing or removing barrel nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect and correct...

This is a thread about torquing a muzzle device, not installing a barrel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
And places it all on the barrel extension.

Barrel blocks are the correct tool for muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is a thread about torquing a muzzle device, not installing a barrel.
View Quote
Yes, I am aware of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#40]
BEV block
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It may shoot like shit, but at least it doesn't have galling marks from the aluminum barrel blocks!
View Quote
Pine my boy, Pine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I removed a flash hider from an FN barrel by using a wood clamp and clamping the fsb then clamping the wood clamp in my vice. Then I remembered I owned a nice drill press and have a stack of wood....
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#44]
You guys are making it too hard.  If you have a bench vise, and you should if doing barrel work on either end, just wrap a strip of leather around the barrel close to the muzzle and grip it hard in the vise.  Leather grips well and will not slip.  A few inches from an old worn out belt is all you need.

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Reaction rods are ideal for installing muzzle devices. But imho using rubber lined vise blocks is just as good. Never been a fan of peel washers, much prefer crush washers.

Arnzen Arms sell reaction rods for around $75 delivered and they are every bit as good and well made as any other brand named model.
View Quote
they are decent for muzzle devices and as bad or worse than what OP did for barrel nuts. clamshell is better than reaction rod for barrel nuts. its the exact same thing. load doesnt want to be on the index pin. using the reaction rod you are loading the index pin even installing a muzzle device, only then its at least steel on steel and is stronger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I have the clamshell, it's in my tool box somewhere. I use reaction bars (mine are Geissele). Saying that they're bad makes me think that you don't own one and are getting that info from someone that doesn't own one either. You might not want to use one to remove a stubborn flash hidder or compensator since that could remove the barrel from the barrel extension. I've never actually seen it happen but then I use jamb nuts ever since my first bad experience trying to remove a crush washer.

Beyond installing barrels, the reaction bar works slick for installing gas blocks, hand guards, etc. You can rotate the entire upper to any position you want without ever touching the vise.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a jam nut instead of washers.  I time the brake and use two wrenches to tighten the jam nut against the brake.

Should I be concerned about twisting the barrel?  It seems to me that it should not be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Use a jam nut instead!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top