User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2017 3:04:08 PM EDT
Budget: Open, no true limit.

Intended purpose and use:  Classes/training and home defense/"social" use.

What brands are the best quality right out of the box?  The answer used to be ABC, but times have changed.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster, Colt, DD
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Noveske next question
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bushmaster, Colt, DD
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Answers will be subjective at best.

My opinion?
Colt/BCM/KAC/LMT/DD @ top.

Several others that are gtg also.
View Quote
This guy is smart!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt 6920. Kbye.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Salient Arms
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt, BCM, LMT, FN, KAC, Noveske - True, top tier military grade.

Due to Daniel Defense's moving from a top tier manufacturer to manufacturing fashion peripherals, extreme price raises over the past few years, as well as the company screwing over great employees by forcing them to sign a two year non-compete agreement, then laying them off, they are now a low tier, bottom feeder in my opinion.

dpms, bushmaster, rock river arms, smith & wesson, psa, anderson, aero, mega arms - low end commercial grade.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Due to Daniel Defense's moving from a top tier manufacturer to manufacturing fashion peripherals, extreme price raises over the past few years, as well as the company screwing over great employees by forcing them to sign a two year non-compete agreement, then laying them off, they are now a low tier, bottom feeder in my opinion.

dpms, bushmaster, rock river arms, smith & wesson, psa, anderson, aero, mega arms - low end commercial grade.
View Quote
I totally agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#10]
KAC
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Has mega fallen off the ship somewhere?  I thought they used to be one of the top tier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My .02 ...and not all brands will be mentioned, just ones I have first hand knowledge of.

Top Shelf: Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, LaRue, LMT.

Just a hair outside of top shelf: Colt, FN, Troy, Midwest Ind.

The "tweener" grade...not quite top shelf, but no where near the bottom: Aero Precision, Spikes, Palmetto State Armory "Premium" line.

The good "bang for the buck" grade.... Smith and Wesson M&P's, Palmetto's "Freedom" line, Ruger, Springfield Armory, DPMS, Bushmaster, CMMG, Del-ton,  Stag,

The "better than a sharp stick" grade....Radical, Bear Creek, Anderson, Hardened Arms, PSA's "PTAC" line, anything with polymer receivers.

Then there's the whole can of worms of home built guns that can fall into any of the above levels, or in other various "tweener" levels depending on what components were used in the build.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Has mega fallen off the ship somewhere?  I thought they used to be one of the top tier.
View Quote
the got bought out by zev tech.

get ready for the price to double and the stupid "features" to start showing up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bushmaster, Colt, DD
View Quote
lol, wut?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

get ready for the price to double and the stupid "features" to start showing up.
View Quote
So that’s the rifle stuff I have been seeing Zev advertising.  Makes sense now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Daniel Defense, Colt, Windham, S&W
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I consider DD, LMT, BCM, and KAC as my go-to options.

There are other good brands out there as well, but these are the four I look at first.

DD is a bit expensive for what you get.

BCM has the most varietal options.

LMT has fewer configs but are extremely reliable.

KAC may be the best and most innovative design of the four...at a cost
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
DD, BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, KAC and anything I've built ;).

Honestly, the guns I trust the most and would depend on in any situation I built all or in part. Not that I wouldn't trust a factory gun from the aforementioned manufacturers, but I'd trust my own work equally or moreso. For me, I'd list parts I find the best quality rather than complete guns, but that wasn't really the question I don't think.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#19]
It's just like it has been forever, whatever guns you are interested in you need to find out what the guns are made of, what parts are included.

All these companies are bottom line first. I don't count on any of them doing what they should or what they have done in the past.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
The best AR ever made will be the one YOU like the best. Every brand seems to have it's fan boys and dissenters.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
The KAC's are the best out of the box gun on the market.

Great trigger, stock and iron sights.  They're ambi and it's very well integrated, not some cobbled on afterthought.  The URX is probably the best handguard on the market.  They're tuned to run well suppressed or not and the E3 bolt has never been broken.

They're ~$2000 depending on your shopping skills and preferences.  If you buy a 6920 and dress it up comparably you'll find the total costs very close but sans E3 bolt and gas system.

They are somewhat addictive though...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Colt
Daniel Defense
LMT (a little pricey, but good)
BCM

For the former boutique stuff,
Noveske
Larue
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Pretty much hashed out already

Colt (6920) is the way to go right now given the pricing. $700 Colt Trooper is a steal.

BCM makes great stuff. New rail options too. I trust BCM for mid-length rifles.

Larue, KAC, Noveske, LMT great stuff, slightly higher pricing for extra features you may or may not appreciate, may not be mil spec.

My $$$... Colt right now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Not worrying about money but with a budget of 2k max. And wanting to handle them first. It was between DD, BCM, and midwest industries.  Colt not even on the radar. At least not when I had that much to spend.  Colt just didn’t come close to fit finish etc.
   I went with the Midwest industries. Couldn’t be happier.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has this happened yet? Still confused why Mega would currently be considered low quality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Where would newly produced Armalite rifles place in the quality hierarchy?
A local dealer was selling the Defender models for $476 OTD until recently. MSRP on these is $799.
I bought two - one front sight model and one slick top version.
The barrels are 1/7 twist with what appear to be the correct markings and the front sight base is marked “F”.
The owners manual states that they are, in fact, “mil spec” rifles.
I put a borrowed carry handle A2 sight on the first one, cleaned and lubed per the manual, and fired the 200 round recommended break in with no issues that I can blame the gun on. One failure to feed because of failure to fully seat a magazine and another failure to pick up a round from a GI mag that I need to mark and keep an eye on.
The icing on the cake is that I am getting a Vortex SPARC AR optic free as a promotional item. Should be here in a couple of weeks. That one will go on the slick top rifle.
At this point, I am pleased. A class with each rifle will tell me more about how I did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#27]
LMT, Larue, BCM, Noveske, LWRC, POF and many many other good brands all comes down to personal preference
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#28]
You got a good deal on the Armalite, especially with the free Vortex Red Dot.  I would say the Armalite is midgrade below Colt/BCM/LMT, but better than entry level S&W, Ruger, Anderson ETC.  It offers a milspec barrel with chrome lining and 7075 receivers.  I could not find info on the Receiver extension material or if the barrel  and bolt are MPI/HPT, but it checks most boxes for a good rifle.  Have fun and shoot it as much as possible!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#29]
What about the SIG M400/Elite with full ambi set up, or DSArms? What tier would you guys put those rifles
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#30]
LMT, KAC, BCM, Larue, and Noveske. Can’t go wrong with any of these. 
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What about the SIG M400/Elite with full ambi set up, or DSArms? What tier would you guys put those rifles
View Quote
i wouldnt touch a sig rifle with a 10 foot stick unless it was to beat it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alrighty, why? I had one but sold it and made money from it even before I got to shoot it lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Give Windham Weaponry a look. They're the original Bushmaster guys. When Freedom group bought Bushmaster and moved the plant, the original guys started up again under a new name. I love mine to pieces, and I'd happily buy another complete Windham if I wasn't getting into building them instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVEitTfxm0

No, it didn't come with the bayonet, but it did come with the sling and one 30rnd mag.

Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The best AR ever made will be the one YOU like the best. Every brand seems to have it's fan boys and dissenters.
View Quote
I get what you're trying to say, but this isn't an emotional conversation in many regards.  Some brands are tested more thoroughly, have been around longer, and have stood the test of time for durability.  These are the better quality guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Colt - the true spec. Anything else being better is a matter of bells and whistles. You can add those later.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#36]
What's the take on BCI Defense?  I work literally right around the corner from them in Bremen, Indiana.
I'm looking to pick up my first AR as a Christmas present to myself (from my wife) and don't know a whole lot about the platform yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Colt - the true spec. Anything else being better is a matter of bells and whistles. You can add those later.
View Quote
E3 bolt laughs at you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
E3 bolt laughs at you.
View Quote
this.

the sr-15 is the true evolution of the ar15.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

this.

the sr-15 is the true evolution of the ar15.
View Quote
True as in it’s Stoner’s final masterpiece.
Love my SR-15, but I’d argue that the evolution branched and at the top we have the SR15 with E3 on one side and the MRP with enhanced bolt on the other. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Look no further than top of your computer, see all the Company Logos displayed, they all supply or manufacture quality components for AR's
The bar has been raise over the last 5-10+ years in the AR gun world.
Any manufacture that doesn't bring quality to the market will be flushed out.
There is no place to hide in this very competitive market.

Mil-Spec used to be the Gold Standard and still is today, quality standard that wont let you down on the battle field.
As Manufactures seek ways to differentiate then selves and make parts better in some way, there are a lot of AR parts that exceed Mil-Spec standards.

Focus on your intended use and budget and only buy for reputable sources like those shown above and you wont be disappointed in quality of the parts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Aero Precision is one amoung many good brands.  Just finished putting this together and it was flawless. Without optic and forward grip, it weighs 6.58 lbs with a m16 bcg and H2 buffer and a hanson barrel. Thats not a skinny ultralight barrel. Im shocked at how light weight the manufacturers are getting their rifles and carbines. Huge departure from the prior generations of rails.

Forged receivers with integrated finger guard, flared magazine well, and threaded bolt catch pin, and a sweet as hell rail with four points of anti rotation.

I would not call them low end consumer grade. They have several product lines that are a step up in quality. The M4E1 series has been spectacular.

The BAR style M4E1 is another forged unit.

I have really grown to appreciate the brand since spending the coin on the BAR M4E1 platform. I would put the fit and finish against any MFG.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's the take on BCI Defense?  I work literally right around the corner from them in Bremen, Indiana.
I'm looking to pick up my first AR as a Christmas present to myself (from my wife) and don't know a whole lot about the platform yet.
View Quote
I've heard good of them so far.  I own a couple of hand guards made by them, no complaints.  The nitrided BCG's have a good finish.  Last I checked they were using Faxon barrels on some of their models.  Local shops such as Belchers and Midwest Gun Exchange sell them.  I found I can get some of their parts cheaper through Belchers than through BCI's website.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
For the price I expect better looking anodizing and forging flash cleaned up around the trigger area.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've heard good of them so far.  I own a couple of hand guards made by them, no complaints.  The nitrided BCG's have a good finish.  Last I checked they were using Faxon barrels on some of their models.  Local shops such as Belchers and Midwest Gun Exchange sell them.  I found I can get some of their parts cheaper through Belchers than through BCI's website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks, Moondog.  Midwest had a couple of them a few weeks ago that I like the looks of.  I'll check out Belchers in a week or two and see what they have.  BCI Defense has periodic 'build your own' classes that I've seriously considered doing as it seemed like a great way to get to know and understand the platform.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
E3 bolt laughs at you.
View Quote
Now you are getting into proprietary.... I loves me a KAC, but one of the appeals of the AR is the standardization of the platform.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

For the price I expect better looking anodizing and forging flash cleaned up around the trigger area.
View Quote
Both fine on the couple of Colts I’ve owned. People complain about the finish as if they were taking it to the prom.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#47]
To me, the best value is BCM
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To me, the best value is BCM
View Quote
BCM is the equivalent of Colt in the quality of it's parts, and it's a good bit ahead of Colt in the fit and finish department. I have two Colts and two BCMs. You can set one of each side-by-side and see the difference in appearance. Much more attention to detail in the BCMs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#49]
KAC, Noveske, Colt, LMT, DD, BCM, FNH.  Buy Top Tier and "Buy Once, Cry Once."
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#50]
What makes a Colt, BCM or DD better than a Spikes? I have owned all four at one time or another an I notice no real difference. At what point are you just paying for a name?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top