Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2017 12:53:04 PM EDT
i zeroed my rifle yesterday. it a 16" psa with a free float rail.  i was cleaning it and decided to check the screw tightness of the rail screws with my torque screw driver.  i was surprised in that a couple were loose. so i took them out and loctited them and retorqued them .  

so does this have any affect on zero seeing its free floated? will i need to rezero ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d say you may have had some movement. Best to be safe and confirm zero. Worst case, you just zero it again
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If the optic or front iron sight you zeroed is on that rail, then yes you'll want to confirm and re-zero if needed.

If the optic was only mounted on the upper receiver, then there should be no change from tightening the rail down.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i zeroed my rifle yesterday. it a 16" psa with a free float rail.  i was cleaning it and decided to check the screw tightness of the rail screws with my torque screw driver.  i was surprised in that a couple were loose. so i took them out and loctited them and retorqued them .  

so does this have any affect on zero seeing its free floated? will i need to rezero ?
View Quote

Why were you surprised? You purchased junk from PSA, they sell extremely low quality products when it comes to their AR's and they are full of issues. Doing some research and buying a quality AR would save you the "surprise" of having to deal with PSA garbage while fixing their mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If the sight/optic was mounted to that rail then yes. If not, no.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why were you surprised? You purchased junk from PSA, they sell extremely low quality products when it comes to their AR's and they are full of issues. Doing some research and buying a quality AR would save you the "surprise" of having to deal with PSA garbage while fixing their mistakes.
View Quote
They have everything from premium FN manufactured parts on down to PTAC stuff. Your blanket statement isn't helpful and he doesn't have to deal with PSA to tighten a couple screws. Screws back out under recoil on ALL guns. A little loctite and torque is prudent where recoil is involved.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Loose screws will most likely cause poor accuracy or consistency. Just see what you've got on your next range visit and go from there. But, to answer, your question: yes, you may need to. But it also may not matter yet. Check it out and let us know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
PSA sells good stuff as long as it's not PTAC I consider it good, I always check my screws periodically and especially if I it's a pre-assembled upper.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
went to range today. no change in zero. guess arfcom is right every once in a while
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top