Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 3:59:12 PM EDT
Hello - I apologize if some of my questions might be dumb, however this is my first AR and I want to be sure I do things correctly.

1) I see lots of tutorials on cleaning, but not how to properly oil or which products to use....Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
2) How many rounds should I run before cleaning and oiling?
3) Thinking of adding a light...Rail switch or no rail switch?
4) Best ammo for the money at the range - Springfield Saint with free float 1/8 twist?
5) Best Multi purpose ammo
6) Best ammo for white tail?
7) Any other newbie tips/tricks and help would be very appreciated

Thanks all for your help
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello - I apologize if some of my questions might be dumb, however this is my first AR and I want to be sure I do things correctly.

1) I see lots of tutorials on cleaning, but not how to properly oil or which products to use....Any help on this would be greatly appreciated Any gun oil or motor oil will work just fine. Oil any spots that metal is rubbing on metal.
2) How many rounds should I run before cleaning and oiling? Doesn't matter
3) Thinking of adding a light...Rail switch or no rail switch? Try both and see which one you prefer
4) Best ammo for the money at the range - Springfield Saint with free float 1/8 twist? Each gun shoots different ammo differently. Shoot a variety and choose whichever shoots best in your rifle. Although unless its match grade you probably won't see much of a difference in different FMJ ammo.
5) Best Multi purpose ammo In my opinion multi purpose means its mediocre at everything. I'd buy ammo specific to your needs at the time.
6) Best ammo for white tail? I don't have experience hunting whitetail with 5.56 but there are many threads in the hunting section of this forum.
7) Any other newbie tips/tricks and help would be very appreciated Shoot as much as you can afford and have fun learning the ins and outs of you new rifle. Then buy another one!

Thanks all for your help
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1) I see lots of tutorials on cleaning, but not how to properly oil or which products to use....Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
2) How many rounds should I run before cleaning and oiling?
3) Thinking of adding a light...Rail switch or no rail switch?
4) Best ammo for the money at the range - Springfield Saint with free float 1/8 twist?
5) Best Multi purpose ammo
6) Best ammo for white tail?
7) Any other newbie tips/tricks and help would be very appreciated

Thanks all for your help
View Quote

1) CLP, Slip 2000, mobile 1 synthetic motor oil
2) doesn't matter if shooting steel case always clean before shooting brass. Steel is dirtier.
3) up to you
4) standard xm193 m855 whatever is cheapest. Wolf steel case.
5) xm193 m855
6) none pick another caliber. Buy a 6.5 Grendel upper if you want to hunt deer
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for you help

Much appreciated
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
For the range I go with whatever is cheapest normally PMC Bronze or Wolf Gold sometimes I get xm193 for about the same price.  General purpose/shft ammo xm193 or 855. For hunti g it depends on the game. For smaller pests like rodents 50g Hornady Varmint is great, xm193 works as well. For larger game Federal Fusion 62g, Speer Gold Dot 64g, anything loaded with a SMK in 69-77g. All are effective hunting loads.
On cleaning and oils I pike and use Synthetic more oil 5w40 but you inhale it some when the get the rifle hot since it will smoke a bit, ALG ultra thin grease is somthing new Im trying and like it so far and  CLP pick your brand of choice all work. The AR is not picky on lube type somlong as it is lubed well it will run. As for cleaning and proper lube points do a google or youtube search, there is already a ton of info out there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
G96 CLP is all i use for cleaning and lube mostly.  I did just pick up some ALG Juice as I have heard good things.  I would stay away from froglube because it binds up in cold weather.  Check out MrGunsAndGear on youtube, he has some good cleaning and lube videos posted
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep the bolt wet, especially if shooting steel.  A couple times I've run my bolt drier than I wanted, and stuck a steel case in the chamber when barrel got really hot.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top