Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 11:24:55 AM EDT
Hello again,

About 10 years ago I bought a New DPMS 16" barreled Carbine with Flat top. Lucky for me, It already had a YHM free float handguard, included a great cheapy foregrip, and even a slightly better than average charging handle. My friend gifted me a cheap Red Dot soon thereafter.

For all the "heat" Ive seen DPMS take this weapon has been good to me! Never had any issue, and no I'm not dragging it through the mud or doing a carbine course or loads of rapid fire etc. Simply put its been a solid stick, and I don't plan on getting rid of it even though I have some much better ARs now. Call me sentimental, but I don't want to get rid of it and I figure I wouldn't get much for it anyway. A year ago I added some Magpul Rail covers but its pretty much a "time capsule" Looks like cutting edge 2006!

So my question is what are some simple upgrades I can do? I thought about cutting down the barrel just because those extra long 16"ers look odd. But what does everyone think about just drop in stuff?  I was thinking maybe a nice new BCG and Geissele Super 42 Buffer spring. Maybe a cheaper end upgraded trigger. I figure the barrel is already free floated so I can skip a new rail.

I'm trying to find a balance between making it better and not dumping a bunch of money into an entry level AR...

Appreciate taking the time to read. As always just trying to learn-- Still trying to discern the gimmicks from the need to haves.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a trigger would be the best money spent. It will probably make the biggest difference in the way the rifle shoots accuracy wise without changing the barrel. Second i would focus on making the rifle as smooth to shoot as possible. Maybe try an h or h2 buffer to help out with recoil. Or even an A5 buffer system .  A cheap small upgrade to make on the existing bcg to increase reliability would be to install a BCM extractor upgrade kit. You could also consider a new stock if it has never been changed. I like the b5 sopmod or MFT minimalist.

If you do decide on a trigger a good option around $100 for a 2 stage would be the Larue MBT. For a drop in single stage I like the Velocity trigger. If you want to keep it really cheap Right to Bear has a nickel boron one for like $40 that would be smoother than milspec
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't change the BCG that's just a waste of money and it could screw things up head space and the original bolt being worn into a grove. Trigger would be your best improvement Geissele has their sale right now they are offering SSA triggers in the general forum to benefit Houston SWAT dive team for $150 which is a great deal for that trigger.

Is your barrel free floated? Magpul doesn't make any free floating rails, all drop in rails unless the clamp to the barrel nut with out the delta ring are not free floated. That would probably be the next place I would spend money. If you are going to spend the money to cut the barrel at that point just replace it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You have better ARs now, so don't waste your money or sentimentality on it.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Oracle which has been excellent. I did add a RA-140 trigger and have added a PSA upper  Palmetto State Armory  and Holosun 503C red dot. Didn't need the upper; just wanted it. Though the factory trigger felt fine to me, using a standard gauge and my fancy little digital trigger pull gauge, that sucker was a little over 8 pounds. The RA is between 3.5 and 4.0.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If it were me, I would keep if fairly simple, especially if you have better ARs. I think the best money spend would be on a decent but not too pricey trigger. I like the BCM PNT the best for the money. The ALG ACT is a good bet as well. I woudn't go too crazy putting something like a Geissele in it - kind of pointless in a basic rifle IMHO. Next I would add an H buffer. Then I'd add a new pistol grip and buttstock.

If you still have $$$ to blow maybe upgrade the red dot depending on how cheap the one currently on there is. I'd look at a Vortex or something similar to keep it on the more affordable side.

Personally I hate to see people "over accessorize" rifles. Basic rifle or not, keep it simple, keep it functional.

TL;DR Version:

-BCM PNT
-H Buffer
-Buttstock and pistol grip
-Done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it were me, I would keep if fairly simple, especially if you have better ARs. I think the best money spend would be on a decent but not too pricey trigger. I like the BCM PNT the best for the money. The ALG ACT is a good bet as well. I woudn't go too crazy putting something like a Geissele in it - kind of pointless in a basic rifle IMHO. Next I would add an H buffer. Then I'd add a new pistol grip and buttstock.

If you still have $$ to blow maybe upgrade the red dot depending on how cheap the one currently on there is. I'd look at a Vortex or something similar to keep it on the more affordable side.

Personally I hate to see people "over accessorize" rifles. Basic rifle or not, keep it simple, keep it functional.

TL;DR Version:

-BCM PNT
-H Buffer
-Buttstock and pistol grip
-Done.
View Quote
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the input everyone. Truly appreciate you all taking the time to educate me, and you saved me some serious bucks considering some of the things I thought I needed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Best way to decide what to upgrade is to shoot it alot and figure out what would benefit being replaced.  For a "keep it simple" make over, I'd find a more comfortable stock and grip, and maybe an ALG trigger.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top