Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:50:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stinkypol:
I believe the movie prop rifle had a moderator that had the slots cut off and was around 4” in length.
I went with a 601 style at 3.5”.
Quasi BD clone, a bit of movie and reality mixed together.
View Quote

Seems like their Gen 2 (4.3" and 6oz or 10oz weight) would be similar to the style in the movie.

The issue doing either the 3.5" or 4.3" moderator vice an A2 FH is that if I'm adding length and weight to the gun I may as well direct thread my Saker 556K to get some real debarking

I'll probably end up leaving it with the A2 FH in place, since I'm running the 11.5" barrel of the 733 as the base upper, but the moderators do add a certain panache to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 5:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#2]
I've been conflicted on breaking up my 6520 upper and installing the M4CQB barrel. So I'm stalled on this build.

aka bump
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
I've been conflicted on breaking up my 6520 upper and installing the 6933 barrel. So I'm stalled on this build.

aka bump
View Quote

I’m dragging ass on mine too.

I keep side tracking myself, with things like this.

Attachment Attached File

I need to call this week and get a mount for it to put my Aimpoint 2000 on it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stinkypol] [#4]
Did some rattle can work.

I left some areas black, .  Added more paint.  Maybe a darker brown would have been better.
I like overall.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]

I left some areas black, .  Added more paint.  Maybe a darker brown would have been better.
I like overall.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136710/IMG_4952_jpeg-2948538.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136710/IMG_4953_jpeg-2948555.JPG
View Quote

Looks good, but it needs a painted mag to make it whole.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished mine up not this week.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody have recommendations on getting zero'd?  I ran out of elevation adjustment and still not on....
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:
Anybody have recommendations on getting zero'd?  I ran out of elevation adjustment and still not on....
View Quote

Higher or lower?

Lower, get a taller front site post.  KNS Precision makes one.
File, stone, shorter post for moving up the impact point.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Higher or lower?

Lower, get a taller front site post.  KNS Precision makes one.
File, stone, shorter post for moving up the impact point.

View Quote

I should have specified....in the Aimpoint, not the irons.  I need to get the POI lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

That looks great. Build details?

@98Zixxer
View Quote

I was taking pics along the way of the build, especially with the handguard and Aimpoint ring, but ended up deleting them as progress continued.

Retro Rifles 3.5" "607" flashhider
Aero Precision 10.5" barrel with pinned FSB
Knock off Surefire 660  in an old Weaver ring on a barrel mount that I had to trim a bit to fit under the FSB
A2 handguard that I chopped down, and grafted the back end on
PSA "M16A2" lower
A2 Upper but not 100% sure who made it
B-Square carry handle mount
Leupold 30mm rings that I JB Welded together, and body puttied to make it look like one ring
Aimpoint M2

The rest (stock, buffer tube, LPK) are just off the shelf basics.

Then I took a Dremel, sandpaper, and steel wool to the high spots to give it a little more life.

I have a heavy case of 'tism and tried to get as 100% accurate as I could, but some of the stuff like the 30mm ring and flash hider are/were difficult to get my hands on. Especially the FH probably being some weird one off Hollywood prop guy's creation, hell just look at the handguard. Paint job was also tough since there are only a few good shots of it, and the resolution on some of the scenes is so muddy, you can't get a full grasp (at least I couldn't) of what it really looks like.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#14]
Originally Posted By 98Zixxer:

I was taking pics along the way of the build, especially with the handguard and Aimpoint ring, but ended up deleting them as progress continued.

Knock off Surefire 660  in an old Weaver ring on a barrel mount that I had to trim a bit to fit under the FSB
PSA "M16A2" lower
Leupold 30mm rings that I JB Welded together, and body puttied to make it look like one ring
Aimpoint M2

Then I took a Dremel, sandpaper, and steel wool to the high spots to give it a little more life.

I have a heavy case of 'tism and tried to get as 100% accurate as I could, but some of the stuff like the 30mm ring and flash hider are/were difficult to get my hands on. Especially the FH probably being some weird one off Hollywood prop guy's creation, hell just look at the handguard. Paint job was also tough since there are only a few good shots of it, and the resolution on some of the scenes is so muddy, you can't get a full grasp (at least I couldn't) of what it really looks like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That looks great. Build details?

@98Zixxer

PSA "M16A2" lower
Aimpoint M2

I didn't even notice the doubled up 30mm rings or the modified A2 HGs until you mentioned them. Nice job adding those movie specific touches.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep the A2 FH on the 733 upper I've turned into a qasi-BD build or grab one of those Retro Rifle flash hiders. Could also leave the A2 and use one of Griffin's A2 to Universal hub adapters. so I can run it suppressed if I want.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#15]

I didn't even notice the doubled up 30mm rings or the modified A2 HGs until you mentioned them. Nice job adding those movie specific touches.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep the A2 FH on the 733 upper I've turned into a qasi-BD build or grab one of those Retro Rifle flash hiders. Could also leave the A2 and use one of Griffin's A2 to Universal hub adapters. so I can run it suppressed if I want.
View Quote

It’s subtle stuff most people aren’t going to notice it, but it would have driven me nuts if I didn’t do it.

Drop a long enough can on yours, and you’ve got a Black Hawk Down “Gordon” more or less. Which BTW after doing the BD, I really want to build now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#16]

It’s subtle stuff most people aren’t going to notice it, but it would have driven me nuts if I didn’t do it.

Drop a long enough can on yours, and you’ve got a Black Hawk Down “Gordon” more or less. Which BTW after doing the BD, I really want to build now.
View All Quotes

I already have an Allen Engineering Gordon/M4 can in NFA jail at the moment for a proper suppressed 14.5" BHD build

Ron did the barrel and collar work earlier this year and I've sourced a proper CH mount and Aimpoint 9000SC, which looks like the period correct Aimpoint optic while using modern guts. Just need the can and I can get down to rattle canning it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]

I already have an Allen Engineering Gordon/M4 can in NFA jail at the moment for a proper suppressed 14.5" BHD build

Ron did the barrel and collar work earlier this year and I've sourced a proper CH mount and Aimpoint 9000SC, which looks like the period correct Aimpoint optic while using modern guts. Just need the can and I can get down to rattle canning it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/Gordon_jpg-2960338.JPG
View Quote

Oh sweet, a real Gordon. I spent more time than I probably needed to trying to decide which direction I wanted to go.

I was torn between the BD or a movie accurate Gordon since they're the same rifle minus the paintjob and fake can. The can I don't think exists outside of the one they used in the movie which looks like some kind of direct thread tube, so I went with a BD instead. Starting from scratch now, whenever I do decide to start it, I'll probably go the way of an actual Gordon, versus the movie version, unless I do a hybrid of a movie accurate with a 14.5"and an AEM5/OCM5 which could be best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Oh sweet, a real Gordon. I spent more time than I probably needed to trying to decide which direction I wanted to go.

I was torn between the BD or a movie accurate Gordon since they're the same rifle minus the paintjob and fake can. The can I don't think exists outside of the one they used in the movie which looks like some kind of direct thread tube, so I went with a BD instead. Starting from scratch now, whenever I do decide to start it, I'll probably go the way of an actual Gordon, versus the movie version, unless I do a hybrid of a movie accurate with a 14.5"and an AEM5/OCM5 which could be best of both worlds.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/Gordon_jpg-2960338.JPG

May I introduce you to your next clone inspiration thread? going for a 1993 Somalia car15 build and need your help

Start around page 50...
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#19]

May I introduce you to your next clone inspiration thread? going for a 1993 Somalia car15 build and need your help

Start around page 50...
View Quote

Jesus there's some sexiness in there, that I really need to stop looking at.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the inspiration for my next project!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NWHmoob:
Thanks for the inspiration for my next project!
View Quote
Not clone correct in any way so don't hang me. Still need to pin and weld the flash hider and complete the lower. Also found these super slim Ruger handguards. Slimmer than anything else I've seen and they feel great!

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Alacran:
This thread reminded me of the Katrina Gun Confiscation build I started but never finished.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkUG1F2JiI
View Quote

@Alacran, this was an ignored gem in this thread and worthy of its own thread.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
We’ll be coming out with a complete upper once the FH’s come in.

Production FH’s will be parkerized and also available separately.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/BD_2-2923708.jpg
View Quote

Alright, that’s cool!
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Production FH’s will be parkerized and also available separately.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/BD_2-2923708.jpg
View Quote

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#28]

I like overall.

View Quote

You did a nice job.  How has that flashlight worked out?
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#30]
We'll be coming out with a complete upper once the FH's come in.

Production FH's will be parkerized and also available separately.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/BD_2-2923708.jpg
View Quote

looking at the $2,000+ spent building an upper.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By craig19:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig19:

I like overall.

Actually, really well.
Running the incandescent bulb keeps it old school in a way, but I’ve been thinking about trying some LED bulbs to see how they fit and function.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Oh sure, now you decide to jump into the game after we all have spent our money on our builds.

Really nice to have you guys stepping up and offering more products.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Oh sure, now you decide to jump into the game after we all have spent our money on our builds.

Really nice to have you guys stepping up and offering more products.
View Quote

This one also is about as close to a Blood Diamond that I’ve seen someone pre-fabbing for us to buy in one piece.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Actually, really well.
Running the incandescent bulb keeps it old school in a way, but I’ve been thinking about trying some LED bulbs to see how they fit and function.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'm going to pull the trigger on one for my Gothic Serpent clone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I broke my Shekkin 660 pressure pad when trying to shove it under an inner tube handguard band. Wires separated from the solder joints on the switch board with surprisingly little force and the wires are extremely thin. I re-soldered them and works fine again. Other than that its a cool repro. I missed the boat back when 660's were somewhat affordable
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stinkypol] [#36]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
I broke my Shekkin 660 pressure pad when trying to shove it under an inner tube handguard band. Wires separated from the solder joints on the switch board with surprisingly little force and the wires are extremely thin. I re-soldered them and works fine again. Other than that its a cool repro. I missed the boat back when 660's were somewhat affordable
View Quote

Here’s the one I got in my order that was bad.
After they sent me the replacement, I got a Chinesium tail cap off of eBay and shortened the cord and soldered it to the board in the cap.  The pressure pad is thinner like original Surefire pads, just has that hideous sealed end.
Trick was redoing the heat shrink for the small tube that come out of the tailcap insert that the cord comes out of.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Like to pick one of those flash hiders and a couple of the stocks up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Yep, gonna wait for those FHs for a 733 upper with a PRO on top to BD it up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:06:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#39]
Progress. If I had previously mentioned that the barrel is a 6933, it's actually an M4CQB 10.3" barrel.
Need to file down the mounts for the light.

Not strictly clone correct, but I want a functional gun that can be put to proper use.
So that's why a LT QD mount, SF A2 FH and Blast Warden.

Bought an H&R A1 lower I need to Form1 for this build.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#40]
@mike_nds

Do you have a timeframe of when you might drop those moderators?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Nice, I'd like to pick one up when they're ready.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#43]

The PO is in and they are in production. Once I know more I'll post it.
View Quote

Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Planned to paint after zeroing the Gordon build with the suppressor on, but it’s getting into the 50s next week so I wanted to take advantage of the warmer weather and decided to paint the G and the BD-inspired builds today.

Attachment Attached File

Tan base layer

Attachment Attached File

And then the laundry bag treatment

Attachment Attached File

And remember to make sure we pass on the lessons to the next generation

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Planned to paint after zeroing the Gordon build with the suppressor on, but it’s getting into the 50s next week so I wanted to take advantage of the warmer weather and decided to paint the G and the BD-inspired builds today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5143_jpeg-3007519.JPG

Tan base layer

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5144_jpeg-3007520.JPG

And then the laundry bag treatment

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5149_jpeg-3007522.JPG

And remember to make sure we pass on the lessons to the next generation

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_4943_jpeg-3007523.JPG
View Quote

They turned out great!

It’s awesome to see little one involved, you think you’ve got all the time in the world sometimes with them to do stuff like that. My youngest just graduated high school, and joined the Marines. The day before he left I took him to the range so he could shoot the Blood Diamond and my MK12 that he hadn’t shot yet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Got the BD and Gordon guns out to make sure the paint didn’t break anything

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Finally completed my Build... Mounted the light on the handguard, Got my Comp M2 Aimpoint on and painted it.

Will zero this Friday.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
https://i.imgur.com/VasAc5g.jpg

Finally completed my Build... Mounted the light on the handguard, Got my Comp M2 Aimpoint on and painted it.

Will zero this Friday.
View Quote

I love that paint scheme, it looks really good... nice job!
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#49]

The PO is in and they are in production. Once I know more I'll post it.
View Quote
I call dibs on the first upper!
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Made it to the range today

25 yd zero

100 yds of Bench

7 yd head shot standing

25 yd Standing

I didn't think I was going to like the Aimpoint on the carry handle, but strangely, I do.
And the Offset is not much different then I normally hold too.

Page / 8
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top