Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
A2 upper receiver (Page 8 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trunkmonkey4:
Dumb question, but looking at drawings the difference between f marked and non f marked is not much.

I have an f marked carbine barrel I want to pare with an a2 upper.

This as simple as adjusting the front sight post, or am I better off replacing?
View Quote

I think you could use the shorter threaded front sight post. Someone smarter than me can correct me if I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:45:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spacejunk] [#2]
Matrix glitch
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my RRA A2 upper in this morning. Very nice finish and it DOES have me feed ramps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad my A2 Upper had the feed ramps, I value function over authenticity.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]

I ordered one last night. Hope it ships .
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I got mine a couple of days ago.
View Quote

Are they still laser engraved with the company logo?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

that’s not an A2 upper

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Another source for upper receivers:

https://www.dwilsonmfg.com/AR-15-C7-Stripped-Upper-Receiver-Black_p_126.html

that’s not an A2 upper

Technically, a C7 upper is an A2 Upper, at least that’s what it was designated as.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

Technically, a C7 upper is an A2 Upper, at least that’s what it was designated as.
View All Quotes
Another source for upper receivers:

https://www.dwilsonmfg.com/AR-15-C7-Stripped-Upper-Receiver-Black_p_126.html

that’s not an A2 upper

You're not wrong.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I just got mine yesterday, and yes it has Rock River Arms etched on the left side Near the rear sight. Overall it is an excellent upper and mine came with feed ramps as well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GrimEReaper:
Did everyone quit making the A2 uppers? Seems like no one has stock.
View Quote

The ones from Thunder Tactical are available, and GTG. I have one in my dissipator build, and it works fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Newbie question here. Im looking at RRA website right now for an A2 assembled upper and i notice they have 2 options with about 50bucks difference.

Which upper would be best to get?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 4:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah im not gonna go use it for match or any of that sort. Just wanted to build a BHD/ Blood Diamond looking kind of piece.

So the regular one is probably best for me.

Will a 14.5inch colt m4 barrel be okay to pair on this upper? Besides the colt m4 barrel, any other barrel i need to consider?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 6:48:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steepdrop] [#17]
A2 Upper Receiver w/ M4 Feed Ramps - Stripped    117 left now only 20

https://www.jsesurplus.com/A2UpperReceiverw/M4FeedRamps-Stripped.aspx

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Technically, a C7 upper is an A2 Upper, at least that's what it was designated as.
View All Quotes

Technically, a C7 upper is an A2 Upper, at least that's what it was designated as.

Cool
Never saw that 711 brochure before.
What Colt considered an A2 and what the US Military considered an A2 were 2 different things.

For Colt, it was mostly the 1/7 barrel, but also the delta ring, square front sight post, a2 grip and A2 handguard and stock.

Colt took a couple of years to transition the uppers over from field sights to target sights, with the "C7" uppers in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#20]
H&R has gray stripped A2 uppers in stock now also.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sln583:

Cool
What Colt considered an A2 and what the US Military considered an A2 were 2 different things.

For Colt, it was mostly the 1/7 barrel, but also the delta ring, square front sight post, a2 grip and A2 handguard and stock.

Colt took a couple of years to transition the uppers over from field sights to target sights, with the "C7" uppers in the middle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sln583:

Cool

The forward assist followed this transition from Teardrop to Large Round, then finally to Small Round.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
mapartsinc.com
In stock
Stripped and assembled
M4 feed ramps or no ramp uppers available
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered one from M&A, thanks for the heads up.

It is good to see some carrying handle uppers coming back into stock.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

The forward assist followed this transition from Teardrop to Large Round, then finally to Small Round.
View Quote

Thanks for posting just ordered one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I ordered from Thunder Tactical Friday. Got a tracking number today. Only thing that frosts me was paying $20 or $25 for USPS.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GrimEReaper:
I ordered from Thunder Tactical Friday. Got a tracking number today. Only thing that frosts me was paying $20 or $25 for USPS.
View Quote

Damn. What was the hold up
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#27]
Originally Posted By BmNJ:

View All Quotes

If you go look at Tig's reply #11, the Colt advertisement picture shows a large round transitional forward assist. Often you will see those with the side that faces in towards the receiver trimmed flat so the shape is a D. That was done for clearance with the new A2 profile lower receivers, if you leave them circle shaped, they bind up and won't work properly.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#28]

If you go look at Tig's reply #11, the Colt advertisement picture shows a large round transitional forward assist. Often you will see those with the side that faces in towards the receiver trimmed flad so the shape is a D. That was done for clearance with the new A2 profile lower receivers, if you leave them circle shaped, they bind up and won't work properly.
View All Quotes

If you go look at Tig's reply #11, the Colt advertisement picture shows a large round transitional forward assist. Often you will see those with the side that faces in towards the receiver trimmed flad so the shape is a D. That was done for clearance with the new A2 profile lower receivers, if you leave them circle shaped, they bind up and won't work properly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Here’s my M&A that arrived today (shipped same day).

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:42:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Very nice! My M&A was shipped the same day I ordered (Monday) and is scheduled for deliver tomorrow in California. The Rock River I ordered last month took three weeks to arrive. I hope my upper looks as nice as the one posted above.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#32]

beautiful! I ordered one Tuesday but still no shipping
nevermind it showed up 10 minutes after I posted
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleARon] [#33]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#35]
any feedback on RRA stocking and shipping process? i just "accidentally" ordered the a2 assembled upper and a 14.5 chrome-lined R4 barrel but found it weird that they didnt say how much for shipping. (TBD-to be determined?).

How's their barrels? are they good enough for light to medium use?

hope i didnt make a costly mistake.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RecceMiguelGabriel:
any feedback on RRA stocking and shipping process? i just "accidentally" ordered the a2 assembled upper and a 14.5 chrome-lined R4 barrel but found it weird that they didnt say how much for shipping. (TBD-to be determined?).

How's their barrels? are they good enough for light to medium use?

hope i didnt make a costly mistake.
View Quote

I order from RRA on occasions.  I just placed an order a week ago for over 400$ of small parts and kits. Got a shipping notification 2 days later and package arrived quickly.  Shipping was $33.  More then what I would consider economy or ground but probably on par for expedited. At least you know exactly what you will be getting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ECVMatt:

I just got mine yesterday, and yes it has Rock River Arms etched on the left side Near the rear sight. Overall it is an excellent upper and mine came with feed ramps as well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ECVMatt:

Mine has M4 ramps and is marked RRA. Since it’s getting rattle canned it doesn’t bother me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#40]
A2 upper availability has went from famine to feast.

RCA
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#41]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

It almost makes me think the bottleneck was the raw forgings and everyone gets their forgings from the same place.  

And that the forger only sets the dies up doing runs at limited times.
View Quote

While not 100% accurate, there's a lot of truth to this.

Also, until recently the demand just wasn't there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I ordered a complete one from M&A since they had some other parts I needed. They were one of the few places I found that A1 front sight posts I needed for a couple other builds.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Received my M&A complete A2 upper yesterday.
Pretty quick too, ordered on Sunday and delivered on Wednesday.
Also ordered a PSA M16A2 blem lower, that should arrive at my FFL today.
Also have a light weight 16” carbine barrel coming from Del-Ton.
Gonna do a late 80’s early 90’s Delta’ish clone with a Aimpoint 2000 and Surefire 660.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Got my M&A order yesterday. First time I dealt with them but they were great. Fast shipping and good service. I ended up placing two orders. I ordered my upper and some sight parts, then later realized I needed a Delta ring assemble and some other small parts and placed another order. I was just going to suck up the extra shipping since it was my fault for not ordering all at once. The next morning I saw I had a shipping refund on the second order and they sent me a not saying they saw I placed two orders so they combined them. I thought that was awesome.

Anyway, here's the upper. It looks good. It does have M4 ramps, which was fine for my project since I'm doing a carbine and the barrel has M4 ramps.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tstetz:
Got my M&A order yesterday. First time I dealt with them but they were great. Fast shipping and good service. I ended up placing two orders. I ordered my upper and some sight parts, then later realized I needed a Delta ring assemble and some other small parts and placed another order. I was just going to suck up the extra shipping since it was my fault for not ordering all at once. The next morning I saw I had a shipping refund on the second order and they sent me a not saying they saw I placed two orders so they combined them. I thought that was awesome.

Anyway, here's the upper. It looks good. It does have M4 ramps, which was fine for my project since I'm doing a carbine and the barrel has M4 ramps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42803/20230817_171351_jpg-2923632.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42803/20230817_171434_jpg-2923633.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42803/20230817_171444_jpg-2923635.JPG
View Quote

I received mine today and it looks nice like yours.

The ejection port cover spring is the proper silver color, the US-made-looking rear sight assembly is nicely centered in the channel without excessive wobble, the interior is coated in gray dry film lube, and the m4 ramps look adequately deep and uniform.  This looks as nice as any in-spec A2 that I have had in the past.  

This upper will be replacing a flat top upper on a new Colt 14.5" M4 upper assembly with an unmarked, F-height, FSB.  Going for a 777ish build.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#47]
placed an order for an M&A too. couldnt wait for the RRA and it seems nothings happening with that order to the point where i canceled the barrel i ordered together with the upper for a much cheaper one with Luth-ar. if the RRA comes thru then good, if not im sure ill be okay with the m&a.

so you guys just using a milspec buffer system or can i slap a BCM MK or VLTOR a5 system on it without looking funky?

which repro CAR stock has better fitment? B5 or H&R?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm just running mil spec on my various builds.

Not sure on the fit between those too. The only CAR stock I have is from TNTE. I have either regular M4 stocks, various Magpuls and a few other things, or fixed stocks on my other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#49]
gotcha. i think H&R will do fine. its much cheaper too. but ive had experience with b5 stocks and theyre good with fitment without much wobble on milspec tubes, just didnt want to gamble til someone could confirm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By A01R_D31R_R07R:
gotcha. i think H&R will do fine. its much cheaper too. but ive had experience with b5 stocks and theyre good with fitment without much wobble on milspec tubes, just didnt want to gamble til someone could confirm.
View Quote

MA Parts has a damn nice repop CAR stock. Last I knew though you have to request the milspec type latch plunger assembly as many were selling with non milspec components.
Page / 10
A2 upper receiver (Page 8 of 10)
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top