Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 5:23:27 PM EDT
I've been researching the possibility of building a Colt Model 711. I have an A1 with a 1/7 twist pencil barrel that would be proper to get the ball rolling. Add a A2 stock, A2 pistol grip, A2 round handguards, peel washer and A2 flash hider and it looks like I'm in business. The 4 items in question would be the lower receiver, forward assist, dust cover, and rear handguard slip ring.

1. Some pictures show an A1 lower, others A2. A1 is early model I'm guessing.

2. Some pictures show a tear drop FA, others large round button.

3. Some pictures show a A1 or A2 dust cover with an A1 upper.

4. Some pictures show a flat slip ring, and others Delta style for the round handguards.

Yes, beating myself up. But would like to get it right. I'm trying to keep it as accurate as possible by going with what pictures I can find. This kind of reminds me of my Model 723 that uses an A1 upper and lower, pencil barrel, but is still proper if A2 items were used.

Can anyone here chime in. Would like to hear your thoughts.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The early 711s did use M16A1 lowers (SAFE/SEMI/AUTO). They also used M16A1 uppers and then the M16A1E1/C7 type uppers. Barrels were the A1 profile and 1/7 twist. They did use the M16A2 type port door, A2 buttstock, A2 pistol grip, and A2 handguards. Some may have used the original teardrop forward assist, but the round large head forward assist was more commonly used. Also, the Model 711 was an export model and never issued to the U.S. military. These were built during the M16A2 series development.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Lower forging style, forward assist, and ejection port cover could all essentially be random, Colt used these parts all interchangeably in their commercial M16A2 models, with little to no rhyme or reason. You could find A2/FS ("C7") uppers on A1 lower forgings, and A1 uppers on A2 lower forgings.

Colt essentially "used up" all the old parts that they could no longer use for military contract on the commercial/export guns, which is why weapons like the 723 have such a random combination of parts.

That being said, the tapered "delta" ring was a pretty stable feature of the M16A2-series, like the A2 pistol grip, A2 compensator, and 1/7 barrel.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the feedback guys. Soon I'll have this Model 711 completed. Just need a couple new parts swapped out for A2 ones. I'm going to leave the flat hand guard ring instead of a Delta. Gives it that early look.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate the feedback guys. Soon I'll have this Model 711 completed. Just need a couple new parts swapped out for A2 ones. I'm going to leave the flat hand guard ring instead of a Delta. Gives it that early look.
View Quote
This looks like a really early 711 with the A1 FA, dust cover and flat handguard ring. The tic selector surprised me. I guess Colt was using any and all parts to get these out the door to where ever they ended up. Still, a simple model to build from an A1 base gun.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This looks like a really early 711 with the A1 FA, dust cover and flat handguard ring. The tic selector surprised me. I guess Colt was using any and all parts to get these out the door to where ever they ended up. Still, a simple model to build from an A1 base gun.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/Colt-M16A2-machine-gun-711-large2_zpsl8vawhcr.png
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/Colt-M16A2-machine-gun-711-large_zpss5mtfsof.png
View Quote
No surprise in that it would be correct for a A2 lower assembly. It does appear that it is still marked SAFE/SEMI/AUTO which is correct.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I did notice that on all the A2 lower Model 711 pictures I could find, SAFE/SEMI/AUTO on right side. Guess I'll have to purchase a 80% A2 lower if I want it right. No problem. Braceman is only an hour away from me. But then again I plan on using a NDS M16A1 lower which also is correct for the early model. Choices and choices as usual.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to see the sheer variety of what was used on 80s "export" Colts, check out websites that deal in pre86 transferable M16s.

deaelerNFA, and Western Firearms are two that you can find easily via google.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want to see the sheer variety of what was used on 80s "export" Colts, check out websites that deal in pre86 transferable M16s.

deaelerNFA, and Western Firearms are two that you can find easily via google.
View Quote
Thanks USGI. Last night I placed my final order of all remaining parts I'll need to complete a Model 711. A few will go off to John Thomas @ retro arms works for parkerized finish. Pictures soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Today my new A2 stock (complete) w/spacer, A2 USGI grip, A2 dust cover, A2 round hand guards, peel washer and A2 USGI flash hider arrived. Of all things, vendor was out of used USGI A2 Delta rings which they didn't notify me they were out of before shipping. Arrrrh! Kind of hard to place order for a under $5 item then spend $10 to ship. Will be sending a few items off for Parkerizing. Hopefully my friend will have a spare Delta ring he can spare..... coming along just fine this new project.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The other evening I found time to attach my new USGI A2 stock, A2 grip & A2 hand guards. Being an A1 baby from my military service in the 70's, I was surprised by the stock fit. Mine is not as tight as an A1 fit. A tad bit of movement. And I torqued the screw to the point of worrying about stripping the extension threads. It will work though.

I mentioned in an earlier thread I was shorted a Delta ring in my original order. Since the invoice didn't say BO, I assumed vendor forgot? So I ordered another one per a recommendation from a valued gunsmith from a different company. He said there's are more retro gray than current black. THEN, yesterday I receive the original ordered Delta ring. And it's more gray than black. So, I'll wait until the 2nd ring arrives so I can compare them before I do anything barrel removing.

This morning I shipped my A2 dust cover i.e. ejection port cover and A2 flash hider to John Thomas @ Retro Arms Works for parkerizing. When I'm completed this project should look exactly as the 2nd picture in the 1st thread. Doing my best to keeping it as accurate as possible.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The A2 stock should fit just as tight as the A1 stocks. I'd back the screw out and inspect everything.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, that don't sound right to have the stock loose.  

And OH MAN that is a really really nice configuration.   We do need pics you know.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks 103 & JJREA. I'm expecting my couple of new anodized parts back from John Thomas (www.retroarmsworks.com) this Thursday. Along with another new Delta hand guard ring to compare with the one I have on which one is more grayish in color. Won't have together until next week. But will provide pictures as soon as together, don't worry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you talking about the handguards or the buttstock?   If it's the handguards, I could see how that can happen.  My carbines a a bit loose.  I don't think my rifles are though.  I'll have to look.  I haven't that them on and off very much.  Maybe once or twice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the handguards or the buttstock?   If it's the handguartds, I could see how that can happen.  My carbines a a bit loose.  I don't think my rifles are though.  I'll have to look.  I haven't that them on and off very much.  Maybe once or twice.
View Quote
Buttstock is a tad loose. I can twist it slightly left/right. Nothing major. When I start finishing up installing the new parts I'll take the stock off and see why it's not tightening up like it should.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if the threads in the buttstock are stopping the screw from going in all the way tight for some reason.......

Here's a cool pic for you:

Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The picture that gave me the idea for this project. I just noticed the lower in this picture looks like a partial fence lower (XM16E1). Neat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Last night I finished up adding the new parts for this 711 project. I'll have pictures later this afternoon. I couldn't last night due to time change darkness, and horrendous dark thunder storms and rain.

What I completed was add the A2 dust cover, a Delta style hand guard ring, peel washer and A2 flash hider. Thank you John Thomas @ www.retroarmsworks.com for the rapid turnaround on Parkerizing the dust cover and flash hider. I never have worries when sending you parts. What made my evening was the peel washer and FH lining up first time. I set the peel washer behind the FH and torqued to 25ft pounds. I'll be darn, FH had perfect alignment. No peeling of shims. Still in shock over that. Ha!

I did check the loose stock issue I mentioned earlier. All I did was re-tighten butt stock screw with lower in vise (with magazine block inserted). I got about another full turn out of screw and I'm good as gold now. Hopefully week after next I'll be able to hit the range for a sighting in session. Before I took off barrel this rifle was already sighted in. I'll be curious on how much adjusting I'll have to do since barrel was removed. Report to come.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is a picture of the finished product. M16A2 Model 711. Came out pretty good. Once I have a chance to re sight in, I'll have a range report. And if someone would like to help on uploading photo's from imgur, or my saved pictures on home computer it would be appreciated. I'm going PB free. Had it with those thief's.

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Just go to www.imgur.com and get started.  Otherwise email them to me and I will.  But imgur seems to be working pretty good for me thus far.  

Very nice build.  Smokin
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally made it to my gun club late this afternoon with this Model 711. I did a quick 50yd sight in using an NRA small bore 100yd target insert (the rifle was previously dialed in with the 1-12 twist barrel). I did 3 series of 3 shot groups with 2 dope adjustments, 1 click right, 2 clicks down. Then moved out to the 100yd line with an ISPC standard target. All I fired was 10rds from the bench using a centering hold. All 10rds centered in A zone and high which I wanted. Cool. Wish I had more time and my camera with me. This rifle was a great idea and very simple change over from an A1 once I acquired the correct A2 parts. I really dig this rifle.........
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I dig it too.  Yeah, pics of it outdoors would've been super cool.  
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top