AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 77
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint caps looking smooooooth ❤️

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked up the suppressor yesterday , just need an optic. Will probably be a few months so this is how it will sit for a while.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By home_alone1:
Picked up the suppressor yesterday , just need an optic. Will probably be a few months so this is how it will sit for a while.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/275279/IMG_0088_jpeg-3131370.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm about to dive into the rabbit hole that is the Gordy "clone." Contemplating several barrel options and I need some input (not necessarily looking to 100% clone MSG Gordon's rifle; function over form). Option 1 is a BKF/Ballistic Advantage 12.5" FSB barrel. #2 is a Centurion CHF 12.5 or Criterion Core 12.5 (either with FSB added). #3 is a Green Mountain CL 12.7" (with FSB added).

My end goal is a long lasting, combat accurate barrel that functions well with an AEM5/OCM5 suppressor. Input on the "Gordon collar" vs the AE M4 collar on a 12.5/12.7" barrel is welcome as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By home_alone1:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/275279/IMG_0088_jpeg-3131370.JPG
View Quote

I need to get my shit together and get mine set back up to host the M5 again. And I love the aesthetics of the chopped A1 VFG.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By eddster:
I'm about to dive into the rabbit hole that is the Gordy "clone." Contemplating several barrel options and I need some input (not necessarily looking to 100% clone MSG Gordon's rifle; function over form). Option 1 is a BKF/Ballistic Advantage 12.5" FSB barrel. #2 is a Centurion CHF 12.5 or Criterion Core 12.5 (either with FSB added). #3 is a Green Mountain CL 12.7" (with FSB added).

My end goal is a long lasting, combat accurate barrel that functions well with an AEM5/OCM5 suppressor. Input on the "Gordon collar" vs the AE M4 collar on a 12.5/12.7" barrel is welcome as well.
View Quote

I know the old plans required a 12.7” barrel for the AE or OCM5 to mount up in a faux Gordy build, but I believe OC and AE have made collars with different dims to allow the 12.5” barrels to work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I just got a 3 piece style collar from Ron that's made for a 12.5" barrel. I have a ballistic advantage barrel and it works great.

Before that I had a standard AE collar on the same barrel. Also worked great. Only difference is the look really. Either way you're going to probably need the collar bored out to match your barrel diameter. Both of my collars needed custom machining to get the proper fit (the BA barrel was a little undersized compared to the
standard collars available off the shelf.)

As for 12.7 vs 12.5 that's up to you. If you use the standard AE collar it won't matter. If you want the 3 piece design you'll have to get it specifically made for whatever barrel length you choose.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Flyit14:

I just got a 3 piece style collar from Ron that's made for a 12.5" barrel. I have a ballistic advantage barrel and it works great.

Before that I had a standard AE collar on the same barrel. Also worked great. Only difference is the look really. Either way you're going to probably need the collar bored out to match your barrel diameter. Both of my collars needed custom machining to get the proper fit (the BA barrel was a little undersized compared to the
standard collars available off the shelf.)

As for 12.7 vs 12.5 that's up to you. If you use the standard AE collar it won't matter. If you want the 3 piece design you'll have to get it specifically made for whatever barrel length you choose.
View Quote

Good info, thanks. I snagged a Criterion Core 12.5" for a solid deal, so off to John Thomas it goes for the FSB installation

Dumb question; on the standard AE collar, did you use the M4 or SPR collar?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Good info, thanks. I snagged a Criterion Core 12.5" for a solid deal, so off to John Thomas it goes for the FSB installation

Dumb question; on the standard AE collar, did you use the M4 or SPR collar?
View Quote

M4 collar. It indexes of the little step just behind the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Gordy update. Got a three piece collar from Ron. Looks better than the M4 collar.

This is actually what I'm calling the "Movie Gordon" I've got an M4 suppressor and a 14.5" upper in the works for a more accurate version. Nothin wrong with two Gordy builds right?

Ignore the red dot mount on the M1A. That's a work in progress.

I'll paint the can eventually.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Gordy update. Got a three piece collar from Ron. Looks better than the M4 collar.

This is actually what I'm calling the "Movie Gordon" I've got an M4 suppressor and a 14.5" upper in the works for a more accurate version. Nothin wrong with two Gordy builds right?

Ignore the red dot mount on the M1A. That's a work in progress.

I'll paint the can eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/w4wDX5g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KNmpj4E.jpg
View Quote

The Gordy looks excellent. How much did the 3 piece collar from Ron run you, if you don't mind my asking?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flyit14] [#13]

The Gordy looks excellent. How much did the 3 piece collar from Ron run you, if you don't mind my asking?
View Quote

Thanks!

It was $120 shipped. Just sent him the barrel measurement and he whipped it up for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks!

It was $120 shipped. Just sent him the barrel measurement and he whipped it up for me.
View Quote

Excellent. Once my Criterion gets here, I'm going to get some measurements and hopefully get Ron to work his magic for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]

hopefully itll upload with enough quality to see that only one of the car15's has a shell deflector..... also look at those flashlights

so mostly early 723s. all had extendo mounts
second from the right has a "C7" upper
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/delta-3133910.jpg

hopefully itll upload with enough quality to see that only one of the car15's has a shell deflector..... also look at those flashlights

View Quote

fyi dude lower left is wearing Gargoyle sunglasses, the very same worn by Dale Earnhardt, the terminator, and randy savage.... incase anyone was wondering.. the boys had style, no doubt about it...
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:51:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#17]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/delta-3133910.jpg

View Quote

Holy pencil barrel, Batman

And it looks like all the carry handles we can see have a long RDS on it. Presume the Aimpoint 2000 or 3000?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Heres another looking at the car15s from that time frame.
Left, and center are c7 types, right is A1.
Center and right have "M4" profile barrels, left is pencil.
All 3 appear to be running loan star grips.
All 3 running gangster grips, but with differences..
Left is using a loan star grip, center is using an A2, right looks like another loan star.
Center looks like it has the colt hbar delta grip cut for the gg, or at least the medallion installed, i say this over a button because it looks like a triangle inside of a circle.
No idea on lights, but the dude on the left is running a red lens cap.
Dude on right may be rubber banding a tape switch on

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the era photos.

Surprised you don't see much of the old carry handle 4x20's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

View Quote

The colt ones? Ive actually seen more photos of them from GWOT than anything
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#21]

The colt ones? Ive actually seen more photos of them from GWOT than anything
View Quote

Yeah, the old Colt scopes. I just remember them being on ARs when I got into shooting in the late 90s
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

A 4x scope is not what you want on your rifle when your duty title is "assaulter."  The early red dots are much better for MOUT and working in the dark than a 4x scope.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody got another source for that Streamlight handguard flashlight mount? They're no longer available thru Amazon. I'm seeing a few other vendors but IDK what their stock is or if they're reputable.

GG&G offers this one   but it's quite a bit longer than the footprint of the ring so I'd probably end up cutting it to achieve a cleaner look.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Surefire 6P in the EE

One of you please get it before I have to
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:
Surefire 6P in the EE

View Quote

I won't tell you how much I paid for mine 😁 you'll be mad, trust me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Surefire 6P in the EE

I think I gave like 60 for mine. I’ve heard of guys getting them for 15 bucks out of the bargain bin at pawn shops

eBay was all over the place last time I looked
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#27]

I think I gave like 60 for mine. I’ve heard of guys getting them for 15 bucks out of the bargain bin at pawn shops

eBay was all over the place last time I looked
View Quote

I was fortunate enough to snag a very nice condition 6p from a stellar fellow ARF member for a great price.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Anybody got another source for that Streamlight handguard flashlight mount? They're no longer available thru Amazon. I'm seeing a few other vendors but IDK what their stock is or if they're reputable.

GG&G offers this one   but it's quite a bit longer than the footprint of the ring so I'd probably end up cutting it to achieve a cleaner look.
View Quote

I think most of us got them on ebay and amazon.  The couple places on google showing in stock seem sketchy.

I’ve got an extra if you need one.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

i think when i actually build out a period as possible Delta carbine, ill end up cutting a weaver rail scope mount. ive heard that was pretty common in the 80s and 90s.

not sure how i want to build it though since we've now seen photographic proof that not all delta dudes ran "c7" uppers and that the 723s were a mixed bag of barrel/receiver combinations. the easy thing would be to jjust put my A1 uppper back together, but i intend to use my 6520 lower as a base, i kinda want to track down a Colt A1 or C7 receiver in similar condition to match, then use the salty upper for a ragged out M16A1 build.
pic of lower for reference  

its the darker grey with a purple hue when wet.

to get back on track with a light mount....

personally i think these would be be the play

does anyone remember the minimum barrel diameter for Rons collar for the M4 can? Ideally id like for my set up to be done with a pencil barrel, which i happen to have.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#30]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/Classic_48460_Top_ThreeQuarter-3139320.jpg
View Quote

I think those are tight too, so who makes 'em?!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/Classic_48460_Top_ThreeQuarter-3139320.jpg

Those ones he pictured are Weaver # 35 and 36 for Remington 700 receivers. What you would want to do it find a weaver section that matches the contour of the handguard as close as possible.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:52:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#32]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Those ones he pictured are Weaver # 35 and 36 for Remington 700 receivers. What you would want to do it find a weaver section that matches the contour of the handguard as close as possible.
View Quote

Ah interesting. Might just get the GG&G mount and cut it short. Or maybe beat @Subpar up for his spare.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#33]

i think when i actually build out a period as possible Delta carbine, ill end up cutting a weaver rail scope mount. ive heard that was pretty common in the 80s and 90s.

not sure how i want to build it though since we've now seen photographic proof that not all delta dudes ran "c7" uppers and that the 723s were a mixed bag of barrel/receiver combinations. the easy thing would be to jjust put my A1 uppper back together, but i intend to use my 6520 lower as a base, i kinda want to track down a Colt A1 or C7 receiver in similar condition to match, then use the salty upper for a ragged out M16A1 build.
pic of lower for reference  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/20240220_123907-3139316.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/517593/20240223_190821-3139315.jpg

its the darker grey with a purple hue when wet.

does anyone remember the minimum barrel diameter for Rons collar for the M4 can? Ideally id like for my set up to be done with a pencil barrel, which i happen to have.

View Quote

I have an unmodified collar at home. I’ll measure it when I get home in a couple days. But I know the collar sleeve as it comes is smaller in ID than both my colt 20” pencil barrel and my brownells 16” pencil barrel. I want to say by about 0.020” at least. But don’t quote me on that.

ADCO is currently opening up another collar for a .750 M4 profile barrel for me. So I think either would work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandonbeezy] [#34]
Hey, when mounting a TA11 onto a carry handle i assume you use the forward hole on the optic correct?
What thumb screw is used, my buddy found the TA53 but we're not sure if thats what needed.

Edit, ok we're silly, it clears the rear sight fine. Still need info on the thumb screw though.

Pardon my language, but this gun fucks
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#35]

I have an unmodified collar at home. I’ll measure it when I get home in a couple days. But I know the collar sleeve as it comes is smaller in ID than both my colt 20” pencil barrel and my brownells 16” pencil barrel. I want to say by about 0.020” at least. But don’t quote me on that.

ADCO is currently opening up another collar for a .750 M4 profile barrel for me. So I think either would work just fine.
View Quote

Awesome, im now excited for this build again!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Tried my hand at making a gangster grip today. If you squint, it’s mint.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG_1157_jpeg-3141295.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG_1156_jpeg-3141297.JPG
View Quote

Nice. You guys doing these A1 to VFG things is making me want to do one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG_1157_jpeg-3141295.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG_1156_jpeg-3141297.JPG

It’s an A2 that I took the finger groove off of. Got a little carried away and hand to blend it back in but eh who cares. It works

Put some cold blue on my little plate just now so it wouldn’t rust
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Just measured the unmodified 3 piece M4 collar. I get about 0.569 ID.

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Just measured the unmodified 3 piece M4 collar. I get about 0.569 ID.

View Quote

Did you get your collar from Ron A.? I'm trying to decide if I should go with the "M4" collar, or the 3 piece Gordon collar (assuming I can get it fitted for my Criterion 12.5").
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flyit14] [#41]

Did you get your collar from Ron A.? I'm trying to decide if I should go with the "M4" collar, or the 3 piece Gordon collar (assuming I can get it fitted for my Criterion 12.5").
View Quote

Well the collar I measured is a 3 piece Gordon from adco. adco is also currently machining the Gordon collar that came with my M4 suppressor.

If you’re talking about the regular Allen Engineering style collar then just call Ron and give him the barrel measurements. Much easier that way.

Honestly I’d call Ron either way. That way you know what you get will work.

Also the “M4” collar indexes off the small step that’s behind the muzzle on an m4 profile barrel. If your barrel doesn’t have that you’ll need the 3 piece Gordon style. Or send the whole barrel somewhere to get the step put in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Well the collar I measured is a 3 piece Gordon from adco. adco is also currently machining the Gordon collar that came with my M4 suppressor.

If you’re talking about the regular Allen Engineering style collar then just call Ron and give him the barrel measurements. Much easier that way.

Honestly I’d call Ron either way. That way you know what you get will work.

Also the “M4” collar indexes off the small step that’s behind the muzzle on an m4 profile barrel. If your barrel doesn’t have that you’ll need the 3 piece Gordon style. Or send the whole barrel somewhere to get the step put in.
View Quote

Solid information, thanks! I'll probably give Ron a call.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#43]
The can for my Gordy was approved this morning, of course my shop is closed on Mondays

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#45]

I feel attacked 😂 that's a good chunk of my social circle
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]

What is that contraption around your gas tube, sir?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#48]

That looks a lot like the first red dot I ever had back in 2005
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

It’s a PEQ2 barrel mount
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Good! I wanted it to look old even though it’s brand new
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top