AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRN-180 Review (Page 4 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dusted:

I dunno bud, I’ve ran around 1500 throw mine without issue. Hard through classes and matches, she has been hot. It’s terrible that you’ve gotten two lemons that apparently weren’t torqued down at all.
View Quote
Wow, you could benefit from a new barrel. How about we trade BRN 180s? Mine only has 250 through it and it's even a takedown model!

In all seriousness, it's good to hear some are working well and I really hope I'm the only one who has these issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Conda,

This is Brittany from PWS. Sorry that you've had issues with the 2 BRN-180s. This was recently brought to our attention from Brownells, and is the first time we've heard of this issue. We'd like to get you a new upper sent out ASAP, and also get your current one back to see how this happened. Can you please email me at [email protected] with your mailing address? We will get a new upper shipped out to you as soon as we have a shipping address, and will send you a return label to get your current upper back to us so we can look at it. Again, we apologize for the issues- we want to make this right. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Brittany
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PWS_Marketing:
Hi Conda,

This is Brittany from PWS. Sorry that you've had issues with the 2 BRN-180s. This was recently brought to our attention from Brownells, and is the first time we've heard of this issue. We'd like to get you a new upper sent out ASAP, and also get your current one back to see how this happened. Can you please email me at [email protected] with your mailing address? We will get a new upper shipped out to you as soon as we have a shipping address, and will send you a return label to get your current upper back to us so we can look at it. Again, we apologize for the issues- we want to make this right. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Brittany
View Quote
How's that for customer service
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#4]
Brownells official response..... They will contact customers that may be affected.

"Yes, we have quarantined our inventory for inspection.

In coordination with PWS, we have isolated the likely cause to the initial batch and an improperly applied torque specification. This is not the first semi-auto design to not include a pin (the original AR-180 did not), but it obviously needs to be done correctly. We will be contacting all customers that may have affected uppers, so that they can send the upper in to PWS for inspection and correction if needed.

We are committed to the products we carry and customer satisfaction, so you can rest assure we will address any concerns.
World's largest supplier of firearms
accessories and gunsmith tools

www.brownells.com
800-741-0015"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Can someone give me the ID measurement of the handguard?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#6]
OK I am stumped!!!!!

I got the email and it makes no sense!

It has you insert the shim to see if it goes in more than one quarter inch.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the barrel and how far or tight it is in the trunnion.

That area isn't even near the barrel.

The barrel could be completely removed and that distance would not change.

How is this indicating the torque of the barrel to trunnion?

sorry pics from email wont load here.

@conda

@dusted

Valued Brownells Customer,

Thank you for the purchasing the Brownells BRN-180™ Upper Receiver (Item #078-000-483). We’re contacting you because we have received some feedback regarding a barrel working loose after initial use.

After checking into this issue with our manufacturing partner, Primary Weapons Systems, we have determined that there is potential that a few, early production BRN-180 units may have been shipped with the barrel being improperly torqued into the trunnion.

Between the piston rod linkage and restrictions in the handguard, the barrel cannot rotate enough to cause a safety concern, but we feel all BRN-180 uppers should be checked to ensure maximum reliability and accuracy.

We have developed step-by-step instructions to help you check your upper at home if you so choose.

If you ARE NOT comfortable checking this issue yourself, skip the below instructions and contact Primary Weapons Systems (all information is in this email) and make arrangements to ship the upper directly to them.

To check the upper yourself, follow these step-by-step instructions.

Step #1 – Be sure the upper’s barrel is unloaded/clear of ammunition.

Step #2 – Field strip the upper per the included manufacturer’s instructions.

Step #3 – With the bolt removed, place the upper upside down (laying on the Picatinny rail) on a table.

Step #4 – Cut out an approximate ¼” wide piece of aluminum pop can and cut the end into a taper as shown in the photograph below.

Step #5 – Take the piece of aluminum and attempt to slide the tapered end of the shim/aluminum piece into the very small space between the trunnion and the receiver – depicted by the white highlighted rectangle the photo below.

If you can slide the piece of aluminum into this space more than 1/4” (as shown below) your upper receiver is NOT SUBJECT TO THIS ADVISORY. You may reassemble the upper and continue use as normal.

If you CANNOT slide the shim/aluminum piece into the notch between the trunnion and the receiver more than 1/4”, please send your BRN-180 back to PWS for repair. PWS will send you a shipping label and repair your BRN-180 immediately upon receipt.

To do so, please visit Primary Weapons Systems warranty service website or call their customer support line at 208-344-5217 to make repair arrangements.

Once arrangements are made, please be sure the BRN-180 is void of any ammunition and ship to:

Primary Weapon Systems

C/O 180 Warranty

255 Steelhead Way

Boise, ID 83704

PWS and Brownells are committed to do our best to make sure you as are satisfied completely with your product and will do whatever it takes to ensure there are no flaws in workmanship that might affect reliable operation now – and in the future. Both PWS and Brownells stand behind all products with our lifetime guarantee. There is no time limit for repairing this issue.

Very Best,

PWS & Brownells Customer Service
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#7]
After study, could it be that the test is identifying two different trunnions being used?

With the shim hitting a lip or something on the bad trunnion and not hitting a lip on a good trunnion?

And the test just identifying which trunnion was used on yours?

Like I said, you could remove the barrel from the trunnion and that distance the shim goes in should not change, so the test is not checking for actual proper torque, OR AM I WRONG?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PWS_Marketing:
Hi Conda,

Thanks,

Brittany
View Quote
Now that is outstanding CS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:10:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#10]
Originally Posted By Brownells:

The shim is to identify the first trunnions that were used.  You are correct, it is not checking for torque, rather which batch of barrel/trunnion combo you have.  A new trunnion was transitioned to following the first batch, which has a slight gap present above the piston port.
View Quote
thanks. hey i was right on the money.

and my test shows the shim going in more than a quarter inch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Here’s what I’ve found out so far, my upper failed the shim test. I called PWS and they have a serial # range that was effected and mine isn’t in it. If you check the serial number on your upper located on the bottom toward the rear guide rod cap the effected serial numbers are 03XXXXX, mine was an 05XXXXX. So check your serial number and then check with a feel gauge or soda can piece.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
It appears Conda is the only documented case of it happening and he was lucky enough to get two uppers in that serial range within 10 numbers of each other. How’s that for luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
It appears Conda is the only documented case of it happening and he was lucky enough to get two uppers in that serial range within 10 numbers of each other. How’s that for luck
View Quote
10 numbers? No, maybe 50 or more numbers with what he posted.

Are you sending yours back?  Mine passed the test as being not affected and 05 made.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]
No mines not within the effected serial numbers
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
No mines not within the effected serial numbers
View Quote
i do not believe it is based on sn from the information released.

conda had a 04 and 05 and you are going by a 03 identification?

if mine failed the shim test it would be going back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I hadn’t seen the serial number post from conda, mine is only 4 digits away from the replacement he had issues with lol. I’m really not worried about it, if it hasn’t worked it’s way loose after 1500rds it’s not going to. If it happens to I’m just down the street from PWS
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#17]
LOL, conda got his replacement BRN-180.

Brownells/PWS will never be made the fool again and shipped him a pinned barrel.

I believe PWS was heard saying "shoot this one loose you crazy SOB."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_92gdvsv-U

@conda

you should do the shim test on it. i am curious what trunnion version they sent you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Just put a .005 inch feeler gauge between the receiver and the trunnion. Went much deeper than 1/4 inch, so it looks like my upper is much newer. Serial # starts with 0719.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Surfgun] [#19]
Mine was in the 05 prefix, failed the shim test.  They said mine should be okay after they got my full serial number.  They asked if my barrel had loosened any?  They basically said get back to us if an issue shows up at some point.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I torqued on mine that failed the shim test, I couldn’t get it to budge with a wrench. If you haven’t had any issues I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe when they add the adjustable gas block I’ll turn it in
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#21]
did anyone notice the third offering is now a 18.5 bbl pre-order?

very poor marketing by brownells. the offering had almost zero marketing push.

LOL after shot show the entire line lost all traction due to poor marketing.

very poor marketing.

not one notable review by a established well know reviewer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BRN-180:
did anyone notice the third offering is now a 18.5 bbl pre-order?

very poor marketing by brownells. the offering had almost zero marketing push.

LOL after shot show the entire line lost all traction due to poor marketing.

very poor marketing.

not one notable review by a established well know reviewer.
View Quote
I did not know about the 18.5" version but it is now showing in stock. My credit card just got hit for the BRN-180S so I will have to wait a bit to get that one. By the way I got a pre production shorty last week and I think everyone will dig it as much as I do.

Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#23]
That stock.......

At least that ugly thing will allow nice smooth operation of the buffer spring and buffer.

Oh wait the BRN-180 doesn't use one LOL.

kidding aside........... Can you tell us if your barrel came pinned in the trunnion?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sunnybean] [#24]
Originally Posted By BigRix:

I did not know about the 18.5" version but it is now showing in stock. My credit card just got hit for the BRN-180S so I will have to wait a bit to get that one. By the way I got a pre production shorty last week and I think everyone will dig it as much as I do.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/9F5520A9-944F-486D-B29F-AFD64DD08559.jpeg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/516779D3-3460-482F-AE86-0E9EE78B73D8.jpeg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/B4AAF323-DCA4-4EDC-AE02-83899EC9979C-e1569515499706.jpeg
View Quote
What lower is that in the bottom picture?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#25]
That is the lower I designed. I will be offering an 80% version through my website and Nodak Spud has licensed my design and is producing a 100% version.

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 9:44:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#26]
That is the lower I designed. I will be offering an 80% version through my website and Nodak Spud has licensed my design and is producing a 100% version.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/1467DDDE-DBF2-4662-9E03-D66605C93221.jpeg
View Quote
LOL. you or they couldn't even go just one extra step and mark it safe semi "auto".

so stupid!  Way to go

@mike_NDS

Also, did you try and get Brownells involved with the project? As is sales will be very small IMO. That could change if it was Brownells marked.

Would be very cool if the model was BRN-180 and had Brownells name on it. WORK IT OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.

@Brownells
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
We have never marked any of our AR-15 type products with "AUTO". It was a hot topic in the retro forum 12 years ago.

If customers wish to do so that is their choice.
View Quote
Kinda reminds me of Colts business model. They really could care less about what their customers want or think.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Kinda reminds me of Colts business model. They really could care less about what their customers want or think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
We have never marked any of our AR-15 type products with "AUTO". It was a hot topic in the retro forum 12 years ago.

Some people do want some lowers to say AUTO. I don't know why someone would want this non clone lower to say it. You are welcome to your opinion but you sound like a douche.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#30]

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/1467DDDE-DBF2-4662-9E03-D66605C93221.jpeg
View Quote
Neat. Not my cup of tea but it looks like a great lower to use with the BRN-180.

Do you have a picture of it with an AR15 upper?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#31]

@mike_NDS

Also, did you try and get Brownells involved with the project? As is sales will be very small IMO. That could change if it was Brownells marked.

Would be very cool if the model was BRN-180 and had Brownells name on it. WORK IT OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.

@Brownells
View Quote
Whilst I could be wrong, based on NDS’s existing relationship with Brownell’s on their retro AR line, I will hazard a guess this lower may eventually show up with a Brownell’s roll mark.

But do you truly think demanding this to happen in any way, shape, or form will force the two companies to collaborate so? Just curious.

As an aside, seeing the AR18-esque lower, has made me much more interested in the BRN-180 upper. I feel a new project coming on...
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
That’s awesome!  Very cool.

Any idea as to when you and NoDak Spud will begin selling them?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#33]
View All Quotes

You should form your own company so that you can care about what your customers want.  The lack of AUTO doesn’t bother me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: criley] [#35]
I don't know if many people will care, but a Magpul BAD lever doesn't work with my BRN-180S upper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#36]
Originally Posted By criley:
I don't know if many people will care, but a Magpul BAD lever doesn't work with my BRN-180S upper.
View Quote
Since you have a BRN-180S can you tell us if your barrel is pinned into your trunnion. This would be a update to previously sold models.

@criley
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#37]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

You should form your own company so that you can care about what your customers want.  The lack of AUTO doesn’t bother me.
View Quote
Any business that does not want input from their customers has a terrible business model. Poor business practices end in poor sales regardless of what you are selling.

In this case adding AUTO would have cost basically nothing in the design step and adding one more bell or whistle for zero cost is damn good business practice.

I don't want to be cynical, but I would be shocked if these lowers sell more than a few units. Not because of AUTO marked but because the design is terrible and evolved into something that customers didn't want.  Lots of input was provided by others in the threads about the lower. It could have been very desirable but ended up IN MY OPINION to be stupid.

The big mistake was in the designer wanting them to be dual use, AR and BRN-180. AR lowers are less than $50. There is no reason for dual use.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Any business that does not want input from their customers has a terrible business model. Poor business practices end in poor sales regardless of what you are selling.

In this case adding AUTO would have cost basically nothing in the design step and adding one more bell or whistle for zero cost is damn good business practice.

I don't want to be cynical, but I would be shocked if these lowers sell more than a few units. Not because of AUTO marked but because the design is terrible and evolved into something that customers didn't want.  Lots of input was provided by others in the threads about the lower. It could have been very desirable but ended up IN MY OPINION to be stupid.

The big mistake was in the designer wanting them to be dual use, AR and BRN-180. AR lowers are less than $50. There is no reason for dual use.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

I'm thinking about buying some of these lowers without the AUTO marking and using them with standard uppers...

Then I'm going to get standard lowers without the AUTO marking and using them with BRN-180 uppers and standard receiver extensions...

Just to spite user BRN-180
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#40]
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. You are, however, in a very small minority.

We've been getting some good response so far.

More pics.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_d_JPG-1108972.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_c_JPG-1108970.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_b_JPG-1108969.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_a_JPG-1108968.jpg
View Quote
The lower is gorgeous; is it compatible with Gen 3 PMAGs?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#42]
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. You are, however, in a very small minority.

We've been getting some good response so far.

More pics.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_d_JPG-1108972.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_c_JPG-1108970.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_b_JPG-1108969.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/1815_m4_a_JPG-1108968.jpg
View Quote
If you sell 20 I will be shocked. They won't be cheap. Maybe $250-$300 range I would guess.

If it was tied to Brownells I could stomach one but if it isn't ever, than I will pass. Just to hideous. Nothing more than a undesirable AR-15 lower.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
So, let me get this straight.  You're calling out two of the best supporters of the super-niche Retro AR market for not listening to their customers?  Are you serious?

What you really mean is that they're not listening to you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone know if the Magpul bev block will work on the BRN 180 uppers?  Having trouble getting the flash hider off of my BRN 180S and the Geiselle rod doesn't quite fit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mbinky] [#45]
I'll tell you what, I want one of those lowers just for something different.  When the Brownells upper came out I was intrigued and this lower makes it more likely that I will get one (a Brownells upper).

But I also think this lower will look great mated to a Wolf T91 upper.  Just for something different.  (When the Space Force gets off the ground I don't want to be running around with a cookie cutter rifle for my recruiting poster shots ).
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 7:40:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#46]
the one close up i have seen of a BRN-180S in a customers hands and recent does not show the barrel being pinned like conda.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#47]
how NOT to mount an optic on a BRN-180...............

Not wise to mount half on fixed rail and half on removable rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WqPSuxO_Q
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterTwo] [#48]
the one close up i have seen of a BRN-180S in a customers hands and recent does not show the barrel being pinned like conda.
View Quote
I've got a BRN 180S. Where do I need to look to see if the barrel is pinned or not?

FYI, the Magpul bev block works on the BRN 180. It also helps to know that the factory flash hider is secured with a jam nut.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
I assumed they did that just for conda.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 3:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#50]
Originally Posted By MisterTwo:

I've got a BRN 180S. Where do I need to look to see if the barrel is pinned or not?

FYI, the Magpul bev block works on the BRN 180. It also helps to know that the factory flash hider is secured with a jam nut.
View Quote
shown here. is yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_92gdvsv-U
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 4 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top