Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why the excitement over this? It appears to be a Sig 516 with a few minor changes. What am I missing?
View Quote
Barotocci’s video from Small Arms Solutions  of it running with the sand in it was pretty astounding to me - especially at $999.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The excitement is that it’s not produced by Sig (I hope), is much lighter than the Sig, and is $999. Also some significant design improvements (sand cuts) to the BCG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the excitement over this? It appears to be a Sig 516 with a few minor changes. What am I missing?
The excitement is that it’s not produced by Sig (I hope), is much lighter than the Sig, and is $999. Also some significant design improvements (sand cuts) to the BCG.
It's not. It is produced by Wilcox Industries in NH.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Barotocci’s video from Small Arms Solutions  of it running with the sand in it was pretty astounding to me - especially at $999.
https://youtu.be/WhbToQVFcWg
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
https://caracalusa.com/caracal-and-wilcox-debut-first-collaborative-product/

I've been comparing this to my Sig 516 Gen 2 7.5 PDW....the Caracal is pretty much 100% the same design as 516 in every aspect except the slightly increased upper/rail height.

Small Arms Solutions is wrong saying that Caracal is the only one with OTB support....the Sig 516 has it as well.

Makes you kind of wonder...did Wilcox also make the Sig 516 Gen 2 for Sig...or Caracal has a manufacturers agreement with Sig (or maybe the designer of the 516 holds the patent instead of Sig)...because the BCG, piston rod, piston plug is 100% Sig 516.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Designed by Germans, built in NH, money still goes to UAE. I will never buy an Arab gun.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked mine up today. Seems super solid and oozes quality. Excited to try it out. Came with nice cleaning kit and some goofy 3 point sling.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I got to the range today for a quick break in and I'm impressed so far.  I sighted it in with 80 rounds of M193 and Geco 55gn .223.  It was totally reliable and felt solid while shooting.  It didnt feel heavy at all.  Moslty shot off the bench but I did a few strings of double taps off hand and it was quick handling.  The mil spec trigger has got to go though.  I will probably put a Larue MBT in it soon.

IMG_1314 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/159919645@N03/]

IMG_1316 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/159919645@N03/]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the range report. Anybody get any info about short uppers? I emailed caracal but haven’t heard anything.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, I've put 600 rounds through mine in the last week since I got it and haven't had any issues. Didn't clean or lube itjust took it out of the box and started shooting. The BCG still has the factory lube on it and looks new, but the op rod is pretty fouled.

At the 500 round mark, the gas block vent hole started spraying my right hand with carbon (I shoot left handed) since it vents out the side under the handguard right where I hold it. I don't feel anything while shooting though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the range report. Anybody get any info about short uppers? I emailed caracal but haven’t heard anything.
View Quote
Caracal’s response to my similar question via email:

The pistol configuration of the 814 and 816 product lines will be announced at SHOT Show with availability in Q1 of 2019! We appreciate your support!

I have since followed up asking if they’ll be available as complete uppers, but I have yet to hear back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Are they already selling short ~11.5" guns to LE/mil?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I emailed them yesterday to ask about their SBR barrel assembly availability. When I hear back I'll let you know.

Price point of just under $1000 got me interested. It is a poor mans 416 that was designed and built by the HK416 guys. So not like it was Billy Bob that just threw it all together and called it good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any word on caracal sbr uppers? I might get one for a poor mans 416 substitute.
I emailed them yesterday to ask about their SBR barrel assembly availability. When I hear back I'll let you know.

Price point of just under $1000 got me interested. It is a poor mans 416 that was designed and built by the HK416 guys. So not like it was Billy Bob that just threw it all together and called it good.
Why do you put “Billy Bob Thorton” down?  Is if he just throws stuff together.  He is actually a gun guy. I know him. No need to bash him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone explain some of the ar15 interchangeability in terms of parts? Maybe like the buffer tube, trigger, bolt catch, magazine catch, etc?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can anyone explain some of the ar15 interchangeability in terms of parts? Maybe like the buffer tube, trigger, bolt catch, magazine catch, etc?
View Quote
The complete lower is interchangeable with a standard AR except for the buffer which is marked a circle and weighs over 5 ounces. Not sure about the buffer spring weight.

The bolt assembly is a standard AR, but the rest of the upper is proprietary.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
After seeing a reference to the 816 on fb, i started researching. Vids from small arms review and defense review were highly impressive. I dont need another ar, but after seeing the vids on this i was impressed. Ordered one, got it in, did a few changes such as a aimpoint compm5, raptor charging handle, geisselle trigger and a surefire m300c light. The quality and heavy duty build was first thing i noticed. The buffer , 3 adjust gas plug, heavy duty piston system and new bolt carrier design were all impressive.. shot great, with the geisselle upgrade.. accuracy is good...ordered a 2nd one from rainier before they sold out.. there will be no more at this price, i was told from caracal..
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Caviat: If you're into those binary, pull release things, you'll need to take down the vertical safety stop/ fence and touch up the finish. A really nice Geiselle is probably the best trigger upgrade for this beast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Can anybody provide a longer term update on how these rifles are performing?  I would love to get my hands on a shorter upper.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can anybody provide a longer term update on how these rifles are performing?  I would love to get my hands on a shorter upper.
View Quote
I have 700 rounds through mine. Took it out of the box and started shooting without any lubrication or cleaning. BCG still looks like it just came out of the box, but the piston and op rod are coated in carbon. No issues so far.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Admittedly have yet to fire it, but from handling it, it exudes quality. I noticed they put something like lithium grease on the recoil spring and in the safety selector pocket of the lower receiver.

I wish the hand guard were a bit longer but that’s about it so far.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Totally agree about wanting a longer handguard.  Probably my only criticism other then I’d rather have a QD sling mount above the grip instead of the hook mount that comes on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Totally agree about wanting a longer handguard.  Probably my only criticism other then I’d rather have a QD sling mount above the grip instead of the hook mount that comes on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish it was ambidextrous. Also, it’s a little unusual that they’d add that little tab to prevent handguard rotation but not implement a way to relieve stress placed on the barrel nut when the handguard is under load.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Considering the two men that were responsible for the HK416, Sig 516 and MCX programs were the same ones responsible for this I would say chances are its gonna be very very solid.  Its made specifically to allow maritime and desert use where water can be in the bore and chamber as well as high levels sand dust.  It passes the same bore obstruction tests all HK firearms must pass.  Where a scrib load is stuck in the bore and a full max psi spec round is then fired thru it.  If the obstruction did not clear but usually does its then cleared.  The rifle then must continue to function.  I have seen Colts M4 rupture barrel and extensions simply from a single over pressure round let alone the number that blew from a squib then recharge and fire event.  50/50 if it blows the barrel at the extension shelf.   That is some of the dif you tend to get with HK and it seems these CAR816 rifles.

I want one of the 11.5" models.  Who currently has the best price?  Are they offering parts for sale yet?  I always try yo pu bolt piston and other proprietary parts to have for later repairs/maintenance.  IMO this is a must to be a real player in this firearm area.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Considering the two men that were responsible for the HK416, Sig 516 and MCX programs were the same ones responsible for this I would say chances are its gonna be very very solid.  Its made specifically to allow maritime and desert use where water can be in the bore and chamber as well as high levels sand dust.  It passes the same bore obstruction tests all HK firearms must pass.  Where a scrib load is stuck in the bore and a full max psi spec round is then fired thru it.  If the obstruction did not clear but usually does its then cleared.  The rifle then must continue to function.  I have seen Colts M4 rupture barrel and extensions simply from a single over pressure round let alone the number that blew from a squib then recharge and fire event.  50/50 if it blows the barrel at the extension shelf.   That is some of the dif you tend to get with HK and it seems these CAR816 rifles.

I want one of the 11.5" models.  Who currently has the best price?  Are they offering parts for sale yet?  I always try yo pu bolt piston and other proprietary parts to have for later repairs/maintenance.  IMO this is a must to be a real player in this firearm area.
View Quote
Caracal was at SHOT show last week with a .300 BO pistol and new handgun model. Looks like they’re hangin in there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked this up on on Rainier sale as well.  Honestly, haven't shot a round through it yet.  The sale came up during my prime bird hunting season and range time gets put on the back burner basically until spring where I live (MN).  I really had not even been looking for a piston AR (I had Fleet Farm Huldra/AA guns in the past) because DI seems to get the job done, but I too could not resist the designers pedigree and the reviews given by SAS and MrGNG along with the $1k shipped price.  As others have said, its built very robustly.  It's 1st in line once the snow clears to get it dialed in and put through some paces.

Rail is shorter yes and its nice and slim. I heard that Caracal tested various lengths and found this to be the best fit and through their testing found this to be the most durable.  Upper and lower mate very well together.  Trigger is mediocre at best.  Grip stinks.  I don't have big hands and its too narrow side to side even for me.  I changed it out right away.

I will say one thing that really stood out to me is the smoothness when racking the bolt back.  Other new rifles seem to be a bit gritty until they get broken in over time, but this feels like someone took some sandpaper and gave it a nice polishing.  Maybe this is the combination of their anti-tilt BCG, Buffer and Tube working together in one cohesive unit, or maybe I have too much Balistol vapors in my work room.  But I'd be interested to see if any of you other owners noticed this and if they notice it during shooting as well.

One QC thing I noticed that my castle nut was not staked at all.  This needs to obviously be a priority.  But I make it a habit to always check this on my rifles as this was not the 1st or im sure the last time ill catch this.

All in all glad I got it so far and will be following this thread.

Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if HK416 handguard would fit the Caracal 816. Brownells has the 11” gas block cut picarinny handguard on sale for $199.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if HK416 handguard would fit the Caracal 816. Brownells has the 11” gas block cut picarinny handguard on sale for $199.
View Quote
The caracal uses 2 screws on top to secure the rail and the 416 uses a bolt on the bottom of the handguard. Similar profile but I would doubt they would interchange. That being said I really wish caracal would make the original Picatinny rail on the UAE guns available.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Finally got to shoot my CAR816 last weekend. It doesn’t suppress well. It functions perfectly fine but it was louder than my other piston ARs and surprisingly gassy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#27]
what suppressor were you shooting with?  And were you shooting it with the suppressed setting? (I know, I know, day one stuff, but still have to ask)

I just picked one up, myself.  I'll be shooting it with a saker556, so I'm assuming it will be gassy, too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
what suppressor were you shooting with?  And were you shooting it with the suppressed setting? (I know, I know, day one stuff, but still have to ask)

I just picked one up, myself.  I'll be shooting it with a saker556, so I'm assuming it will be gassy, too.
View Quote
Sico Omega, yes it was on the correct setting for shooting suppressed. Louder than my other piston ARs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://caracalusa.com/caracal-and-wilcox-debut-first-collaborative-product/

I've been comparing this to my Sig 516 Gen 2 7.5 PDW....the Caracal is pretty much 100% the same design as 516 in every aspect except the slightly increased upper/rail height.

Small Arms Solutions is wrong saying that Caracal is the only one with OTB support....the Sig 516 has it as well.

Makes you kind of wonder...did Wilcox also make the Sig 516 Gen 2 for Sig...or Caracal has a manufacturers agreement with Sig (or maybe the designer of the 516 holds the patent instead of Sig)...because the BCG, piston rod, piston plug is 100% Sig 516.
View Quote
I don't know.  I own three 516's, as well as a M400.  the lowers are all the same.  No difference.  With no insider knowledge, I believe that Sig does indeed make the 516/716 if for no other reason than the government contracts Sig has, which accounts for many thousands of these rifles.  I also know that my rifles are extremely well made, and I have never had a malfunction with any of them.  As well, they all shoot exceptionally well.  I have been trying to think of a reason to try another brand of AR, but so far can't think of one.  My Sig's have been excellent.

As far as the Caracal goes, it does seem to be an exact copy of the Sig operating system.  I would like to buy one, actually, because of Hirt and Sirosis designed it, it has to be good, IMHO.  Other than an 816 if one becomes available, I'm going to keep buying 516's and M400's.  No reason not to!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Had the 816 out to the range again today. Sighted in the TA31 ACOG. I think I put 3 mags of plinking Ammo through it, maybe 4. I ran it suppressed and I suppressed but kept it on the suppressed setting for both. It ran fine but for a range mag that I’ve had problems with that didn’t seat well. I like this rifle and will be hanging onto it. Good score for $1k
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Designed by Germans, built in NH, money still goes to UAE. I will never buy an Arab gun.
View Quote
Great. Post that on the politics part of the forum.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Had the 816 out to the range again today. Sighted in the TA31 ACOG. I think I put 3 mags of plinking Ammo through it, maybe 4. I ran it suppressed and I suppressed but kept it on the suppressed setting for both. It ran fine but for a range mag that I’ve had problems with that didn’t seat well. I like this rifle and will be hanging onto it. Good score for $1k
View Quote
The ACOG is my dream optic for this gun.  I have a Romeo5 on it, currently, but I think the ACOG would be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Americans with jobs in NH, making hi Q rifles. Works for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Just picked one up on GB for $999.  Looking forward to shooting it based on the reviews here and on YouTube.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just picked one up on GB for $999.  Looking forward to shooting it based on the reviews here and on YouTube.
View Quote
Great score! A very stout rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#36]
This is really interesting.. Didnt know it was available in US market.. Goes to show how I been paying attention.

Not sure why anyone would not buy it because it was UAE linked as the OP mentioned.. UAE is one of the closest US allies that as far as foreign weapons go thats a big plus unless there are quality concerns due to UAE not being a traditional arms manufacturer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is really interesting.. Didnt know it was available in US market.. Goes to show how I been paying attention.

Not sure why anyone would not buy it because it was UAE linked as the OP mentioned.. UAE is one of the closest US allies that as far as foreign weapons go thats a big plus unless there are quality concerns due to UAE not being a traditional arms manufacturer.
View Quote
The UAE rifle was designed by the guys who designed the HK416 (German) and Sig516 (USA). The US versions of the rifle were produced here by Wilcox (current US MIL and LE gear producer).

UAE may fall into the “ally” column but we have a number of political bedfellows who are dirtbags. Oh well, lots of our favorite gunmakers are dirtbags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I emailed Caracal about their 11.5" pistols, and they told me 4-6 weeks out.  That was about a week go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Does the Caracal use a standard height BUIS, or are they shorter like the HK416 and SCAR?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does the Caracal use a standard height BUIS, or are they shorter like the HK416 and SCAR?
View Quote
the pic rail on the upper is slightly higher than a std M4, so I purchased the shorter Troy "micro" sight set for HK416 for mine.  I've also got a ADM QD scope mount that's lower height than std AR-15 but don't have a LPVO dedicated for it yet.

Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I emailed Caracal about their 11.5" pistols, and they told me 4-6 weeks out.  That was about a week go.
View Quote
Do you know if they will be selling the pistol uppers by themselves?
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
They said they would, but no official timeline.  I know I'd love to get a pistol upper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just messaged them and they said they don’t have a release date as of now for pistol/SBR uppers.  Caracal seems to be dropping the ball marketing and promotion wise.  I don’t know anyone else that has one, I haven’t seen any in a gun store and there are only a couple videos on YouTube.  They need to be handing these out to every gun channel and trainer to get some word of mouth going on these rifles.  WTF!  I’ll be pissed if they go out of business and I’m stuck with a discontinued proprietary piston gun without replacement parts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I would love to buy one of their short barrel uppers, inasmuch as I have a couple of already approved sbr lowers to put them on.  Hopefully they will become available soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just messaged them and they said they don’t have a release date as of now for pistol/SBR uppers.  Caracal seems to be dropping the ball marketing and promotion wise.  I don’t know anyone else that has one, I haven’t seen any in a gun store and there are only a couple videos on YouTube.  They need to be handing these out to every gun channel and trainer to get some word of mouth going on these rifles.  WTF!  I’ll be pissed if they go out of business and I’m stuck with a discontinued proprietary piston gun without replacement parts.
View Quote
they might be kinda busy, manufacturing capacity, with the foreign military contracts they've landed recently.  might keep them focused on that segment for the next year or so.  much to our dismay.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#46]
From emailing with purportedly the national sales manager, all operations were moved form the east coast to Boise, ID. That’s why there is next to no inventory.

Supposedly standalone uppers will start showing up at the beginning of 2020.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
From emailing with purportedly the national sales manager, all operations were moved form the east coast to Boise, ID. That’s why there is next to no inventory.

View Quote
Boise, you say? Isn’t there a manufacturer there who has been turning out rifles and uppers for Zev and Brownell’s? Particularly a manufacturer with experience doing proprietary piston ARs? This is how rumors get started

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
PWS rocks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does that mean Wilcox Industries will no longer be manufacturing these?

Quoted:

Boise, you say? Isn’t there a manufacturer there who has been turning out rifles and uppers for Zev and Brownell’s? Particularly a manufacturer with experience doing proprietary piston ARs? This is how rumors get started

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421435/14D3E532-BC1D-463D-A950-FD1D508B6301_jpeg-1127319.JPG
View Quote
I know PWS makes the Brownells stuff but what does PWS make for Zev?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I know PWS makes the Brownells stuff but what does PWS make for Zev?
View Quote
I think I’ve got it backwards and Zev made those triggers for the early mod2 rifles. I know PWS produces a mod2 rifle and rebrands it for someone else, just can’t remember who...
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top