Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2017 12:42:28 AM EDT
I waited to buy a SR762 because of all the problems that plagued this rifle when it come out. I have not seen any real negative post in a long time and I thought I remember that after about 7k of these rifles were built things were going good. Well I finally got around to buying one and guess what. FTF on the third round using factory federal ammo. Cleared the round and had two Mir FTF before emptying the first magazine. I noticed some metal shavings inside where the bolt goes and seen a small nick in the metal. Was it ever determined what the actual problem was with these rifles?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
My SR556 wouldn't make it more than 5 rounds without a jam. It actually bent the case and gouged the shit out of it. The chamber was full of brass shavings.

I sold that piece of shit, and unfortunately had to write off Ruger in the process.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My SR556 was the reason I wanted the SR762. It eats everything I've put through it and is acurate. I love mine! This is the first Ruger I've had a problem with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happened to me. I also thought I had purchased a later model where the problem had been corrected. I was wrong. The LGS ended up sending it back to Ruger for me. Pretty good turn around time. Can't recall what they ended up doing, I believe it had something to do with cleaning up the chamber. It runs fine now, and is a nice shooting gun. Try the Ruger forum, there's a lot of info on the SR 762 over there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I'll take a look!
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I waited to buy a SR762 because of all the problems that plagued this rifle when it come out. I have not seen any real negative post in a long time and I thought I remember that after about 7k of these rifles were built things were going good. Well I finally got around to buying one and guess what. FTF on the third round using factory federal ammo. Cleared the round and had two Mir FTF before emptying the first magazine. I noticed some metal shavings inside where the bolt goes and seen a small nick in the metal. Was it ever determined what the actual problem was with these rifles?
View Quote

Don't struggle with it and get frustrated.  Just send it back to Ruger and let them take care of it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The first time I took mine to the range it fired twice then ftf. Did this a few times. I changed mags and it happend again. I was using PMC bronze. Figured gas setting was on lowest setting. Clicked up one and never had any more issues. Runs like a top.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I shipped it back and got confirmation Ruger received it 9/1. Just got a notice that I would receive it back 9/12. Can't beat the turn around time. Fingers crossed it is gtg! I'll post again after I test it out again and also let you know what was done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shipped it back and got confirmation Ruger received it 9/1. Just got a notice that I would receive it back 9/12. Can't beat the turn around time. Fingers crossed it is gtg! I'll post again after I test it out again and also let you know what was done.
View Quote
It stinks that Ruger didn't have it 100% out of the box but I'm sure it'll be good now.  Ruger has great customer service.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for taking so long to update! Got the rifle back really quick. Had fte on 12th round and randomly from then on. Tried different settings, ammo, and magazines to no avail. Sent back again this past week. I have lost confidence in this particular rifle and ask for current production replacement. I love the SR-762 if Ruger can get me one that will run. I have the SR-556 and have not had any issues with it. Hope to get resolved soon. Range time I need!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Did they state what the “fix” was?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
They replaced the regulator and honed the chamber. I have confirmation they have received it back, so should know something before long on second go around.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Update on rifle after receiving it back on the second return. They replaced regulator again and replaced the bolt. Very first round fte. Next 19 rounds ran perfect. Second magazine ftf every round. Third magazine same thing. Went back to first magazine and ftf still. Off to Ruger for third time. Got email after they received it that they are replacing the rifle. Hopefully it will be current production and problem will be solved. Customer service has been great and very fast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the continued updates.  This has been a rifle I’ve considered purchasing in the past.

I hope the new production model works great!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I had issues with mine.  Sent it back and they replaced the entire upper receiver.

Glad they are doing right by you, even if it took a while.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my new rifle in yesterday and I didn’t waste anytime. I put 50 flawless rounds down range. They did send me a current production rifle. I have to say the new trigger is a huge upgrade. I’ll be spending some more time on the range this weekend but so far so good. Oh yea I put some of the same ammo through this new rifle flawlessly that the other wouldn’t take.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Great news!  Glad they got the mess all straightened out.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My SR556 was the reason I wanted the SR762. It eats everything I've put through it and is acurate. I love mine! This is the first Ruger I've had a problem with.
View Quote
My SR556 out of the box would shoot shotgun sized patterns. Could cal them groups. Sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the entire upper, bolt and for whatever reason the safety. That was 8 years ago. Has run flawlessly since then and 5 shot 100 yard groups run about 0.75 m0a when I do my part. However had to replace the horrible stock trigger with a Geissele SSA-E to achieve that.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top