Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one on order.  It is going on a Bushmaster .308 MOE rifle I have on the way.

BTW, they are having a Christmas sale on these wherein you order the scope at its normal price, and you can get a free quick detach mount for nothing with it.  The QD mount is like $70.00 by itself.

View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got one of these and the clarity is awsome as is the illumination. I have to get it mounted and will take it to the range for a full report. I am really impressed with the glass.
pat
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I got mine along with the free high speed low drag quick detach mount.  Very clear optics, the ACSS reticle is great both in black and red when illuminated.  Mount is very solid and rugged.  Anticipate taking the weapon to zero it this weekend.  Primary Arms customer service is great.  One of my lens cap covers was bunged up and they are already sending me another to replace it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Glass on this compared to Nikon 223 3x scope?
View Quote

I had the old PA 3X and the glass was significantly better than the P223 it replaced. PA says the glass on this one is even better than the old 3X, so I'd expect a good difference
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had the old PA 3X and the glass was significantly better than the P223 it replaced. PA says the glass on this one is even better than the old 3X, so I'd expect a good difference
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glass on this compared to Nikon 223 3x scope?

I have to say on mine the clarity is comparable to an ACOG. I no longer have any of my ACOGS to do a side by side comparing on but I do have a TR24 1-4 Accupoint and the clarity is very close.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Another GRSC CRS ripoff?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Another GRSC CRS ripoff?
View Quote

Its not a rip off and the reticle is designed in house by Primary Arms. In fact I wish I could put this reticle in some of my high dollar scopes like my Swarovski Z6i and Vortex Razor 2.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one, and took it to the range twice now.  Really like it.  Clarity is exceptionally good.  I like the reticle.  It holds zero well.  Accuracy capability is quite good, was able to do nice precision shooting with it.  Quick snap shooting with it is very good.  I purchased this unit because I wanted low power magnification in a package that can be used for both precision shooting, and snap shooting.  That meant 2-3X level power, a quick view sight, which has fine precision aiming points as well.

A question though, what are the MOA drop levels for each of the dots?  For example, how many MOA is the second dot below the first, and so-on down the line?  This would be useful to plug into my ballistic calculator, as I may not be shooting the same loads it was designed for, or might even zero it for 200 rather than 300 yards.  Yes, all the cool kids do 300 yard zero, and that's cool.  But  I like the 200 yard zero better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its not a rip off and the reticle is designed in house by Primary Arms. In fact I wish I could put this reticle in some of my high dollar scopes like my Swarovski Z6i and Vortex Razor 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another GRSC CRS ripoff?

This - it's not a rip-off of anything I've seen.  There's some thought into that reticle.  Best advise I can give is zero your rifle, and try like heck to see how much precision accuracy you can get.  I think you'll be pleased.  Then pick it up and snap-shoot off-hand at that same target again.  You'll find the small horseshoe works great.  Then snap-shoot again at 25 yard targets.  The big horse-shoe works.  And the best part is you'll naturally go with the right feature - it's not something you think about.  No cumbersome flipping a sight over, and then flipping it back.  Just the same sight for everything.

I suppose it would be cool if it had a light sensor and auto-adjust option on the red dot.  However, since the reticle is etched, that's far less necessary than something like an EOTech.   Honestly, I think the whole EOTech bubble is popping.  I know I finally wised up to the fact that $500 for a holographic red-dot that is never at the right light level, and doesn't self adjust, was pretty silly.  And since I don't generally shoot an AR at 25 yards, the concept of low magnification makes a lot more sense for me, than no magnification plus a combersome multiplier that I added and always used, just making everything heavy.  

But hey, if anyone disagrees, I have a great XPS2-0 with LaRue Mounts all for sale for merely twice the price of this one scope.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna need to start saving pennies, cause I've decided to get one of these.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got one and it is VERY nice.  For the $$ can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
If there are any around this summer to late spring I am going to buy one and then torture test the hell out of it with video.  See how well they do at holding and returning to zero
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I got mine mounted in the American Defense QD mount and sighted it in today.....took 18 rounds to get it where I wanted.  The center dot is the same size as the bull at 100 yards (1 moa dot??).  Given that it is designed as a quick snap-shoot CQB reticle, I was very pleased with its precision.  In other words, I'm diggin' the reticle.  The flip caps could fit a bit tighter, but that is minor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got mine mounted in the American Defense QD mount and sighted it in today.....took 18 rounds to get it where I wanted.  The center dot is the same size as the bull at 100 yards (1 moa dot??).  Given that it is designed as a quick snap-shoot CQB reticle, I was very pleased with its precision.  In other words, I'm diggin' the reticle.  The flip caps could fit a bit tighter, but that is minor.
View Quote

Took mine out to get sighted as well.  Couldnt be happier.  Worth ever single penny.  The free QD deal was just too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Took mine out to get sighted as well.  Couldnt be happier.  Worth ever single penny.  The free QD deal was just too good to pass up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aw man!  Early buyers didn't get that!
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Does this still come with the ADM mount?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...I should have waited a couple of weeks to order mine.    Oh well, will be ordering a QD mount soon anyway.

Love the scope though!  I also have one of the old 3x scopes.  The new glass and reticle are definately an improvement.  Seems like the eye relief is a bit more forgiving.  
Also dig the external design of the 2.5x.  Not a whole lot smaller, but feels like it because of the cleaner design.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Primary Arms 2.5X Compact AR15 Scope with CQB ACSS Reticle Review

I recently received a Primary Arms 2.5x Compact scope for testing an evaluation.
I mounted it on a Noveske Rogue Hunter I have which has been my back up three gun rifle.
On 12-22-13 I took the rifle and optic out and sighted it in at 50 yards. My groups at 50 yards were in the .75 to 1 inch range which is typical of what this rifle will do with that ammo as its generally shooting 2 to 2.5 moa with the ball ammo I tested with (25 grains of H335 behind a Hornady 55 grain FMJ my standard 3 gun load in my JP this load averages 1.25 moa but that’s another topic).  
During sight in I was impressed with how clear the glass was.  Glass like this is generally not seen on optics lower than $500.  I also liked the reticle although I would like to see the bullet drop configured a bit different. Its set up for a 50 yard/200 yards zero with the next mark down being 400 yards next being 500 yards and the next being 600. I would like it to be set up for the zero being 100 yards and the next mark down being 300, then 400 then 500.  But that is just a preference issue not a fault with the optic.  The reticle illumination is excellent. Very bright. No issues with it washing out at all.  

The next day on 12-23-13 I took the rifle out to a 400 yards range the longest one I have access to. Hitting 10 inch steel plates at 200 yards was easy.  Hitting ½ size steel silhouette  targets  was easy at 300 yards. At 400 yards Hitting full sized steel silhouette’s was also easy. Could not test further than this as this was as long as the range was.

On 12-24-13 the temperature dipped to 5 degrees but I still wanted to work this optic out in some practical shooting drills at close range and some positional shooting on steel targets at 100 yards. So me and a friend went out and braved the cold.  The range was very icy so I did not want to do any drills that required movement as I would have ended up cracking my head open.
Drill once was simple. Three  paper targets were placed in front of the shooter, one at 7 yards one at 10 and one at 15.  The drill was simple start from low ready and fire 2 rounds into each target as fast as possible.
My friend Greg averaged 3.85 seconds on this drill while I averaged 3.32 seconds.  For comparison I ran the same drill with my rifles off set red dot sight and the time was 2.26.  I ran this drill at the end with the front scope cover closed and my time started out faster but I ran out of ammo and was not able to fire the last shot.  I was at 2.50 when that last shot broke however so with my splits being around .24 or so that would have put the last shot at 2.74.   While with this type of optic (fixed power) I prefer to run an off set red dot  you could do nearly as well for up close shooting by just closing the front cover and shooting it as an occluded gun sight.

Then we moved over and did some simple drills using a shooting barricade and two steel targets placed at 100 yards. One was a 7 inch piece of hanging steel and the other was a C zone steel target (roughly 12 inches wide by 18 inches tall)  
The first drill was simple shoot the big target from teach step on the barricade.  The second drill was to shoot the small steel from each step on the barricade and the third drill was to shoot both pieces of steel from each step on the barricade.
Greg’s run on the large steel was 13.69 while mine was 10.05
Greg’s run on the small steel was 23.56 while mine was 22.04
Greg’s run on both steel targets was 37.82 while mine was 21.49.

This optic shines from 25 yards to about 300. I will be bringing it to some three gun matches and exposing other shooters to it for more feedback.  I am very impressed with this sight. For the money you can’t do better in a fixed power multipurpose AR optic.  I am really hoping Marshall can put this glass and reticule illumination into his 1-6 variable power scope.  This is the best glass I have shot in this price range.  I also hope Marshall expands this line and offers a 3.5x or 4x version of this sight down the road.  I can’t say enough good things about this optic I am very impressed.  If you’re looking for  a fixed power scope for simplicity and ruggedness on your AR or similar rifle and don’t have a lot of money to spend this is the optic for you. I will update you guys as I get more time behind this optic.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the write up on that, I have been looking for something like this for my sbr and this scope looks like it would fit the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Took mine out on my M4 this week, fired it at 200 and 300 yards.  It did fairly well.  The optical clarity still impresses.  The fine precision dot is a bit hard to see when really trying to aim precisely at 300 yards, and I think it would have been better to have these go even brighter than they do - the dot is tough to see on black bullseye.  That said, if I were shooting a gong, I would have hit it pretty regularly.

In comparison to an EOTech plus multiplier, this is still way better.

Got home, and my QD mount upgrade showed up.   The QD mount is quite nice.  I was apprehensive about getting one, fearing that elevate my sight by being a bigger and heavier base.   Not at all, it replaces the existing base, and weighs about the same too - if not even less.  I like the QD mount quite a bit, and recommend it as an upgrade.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are you not able to see the illuminated dots against the blk gong?

Dimitri
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took mine out on my M4 this week, fired it at 200 and 300 yards.  It did fairly well.  The optical clarity still impresses.  The fine precision dot is a bit hard to see when really trying to aim precisely at 300 yards, and I think it would have been better to have these go even brighter than they do - the dot is tough to see on black bullseye.  That said, if I were shooting a gong, I would have hit it pretty regularly.

Got home, and my QD mount upgrade showed up.   The QD mount is quite nice.  I was apprehensive about getting one, fearing that elevate my sight by being a bigger and heavier base.   Not at all, it replaces the existing base, and weighs about the same too - if not even less.  I like the QD mount quite a bit, and recommend it as an upgrade.

Dimitri

Not as well as I'd like.  They are small and quite fine, and for my eyes not easy to see against a black background on a bright day - the red just isn't quite strong enough.  I was shooting near Pearland - ironically enough
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not as well as I'd like.  They are small and quite fine, and for my eyes not easy to see against a black background on a bright day - the red just isn't quite strong enough.  I was shooting near Pearland - ironically enough
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dimitri

Could it be that your having difficulty spotting a dark target against a dark background. Illumination does not help with that as much. I had the same issue the other day with the targets we put up at 400 yards that were in the shadows but it was just as hard with a 2000 Vortex 5-20x scope and a 3-15 Nightforce. Painting the targets white helped a bunch. Sometimes it just hard to see stuff but good clear glass helps a ton and this new sight does have remarkably clear glass.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Yesterday I was able to take it out to 200 yards.  

Not bad.  That's something like a 3" group.  For a light weight BBL with ball ammo - that's mechanically about as good as you can hope for.  Heck, I think the high shot was me.  The scope wasn't the limiter.  Dimly lit target again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Reticle seems cluttered, nobody here is gonna use that optic to shoot anybody with a weapon on the run.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Reticle seems cluttered, nobody here is gonna use that optic to shoot anybody with a weapon on the run or at anytime.
View Quote

Really?  Hopefully not but I would not talk in absolutes as that means you will be wrong at least some of the time. Also in three gun we do shoot moving targets.
Here is an example.
moving target
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Reticle seems cluttered, nobody here is gonna use that optic to shoot anybody with a weapon on the run.
View Quote

Try it.   I did.   When shooting from the bench,  clutter (the finer dots) are the aiming points, you don't notice the horseshoes.  

Then you stand up and try snap shooting, at something far, and all you even see is the fine Horseshoe - you don't see the other clutter.   Shoot while on the move at close things, all you see is the big Horseshoe.

It works - try it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
You should add 6.8 to your description as well.

There are quite a few loads that match up nearly perfectly to your BDC.

The most common is a 110gr at 2600-2700fps. Most all hand loaders are going to be in that range, and most factory ammo that is bought by 6.8 shooters that care enough to worry about a BDC reticle will be in that range as well since most buy the spec II / tactical / combat loads. Very few shooters by the standard SAAMI loads with are 2550-2600fps for more than plinking, and nobody makes the old SAAMI chambers anymore. I would say close to 85% of all 6.8 rifles out there were made in Spec II or equivalent. and out of that remaining 15%, probably at least 5% or so have had the chambers reamed with the Spec II reamer.

Example here, SSA loaded, Nosler 110gr AB , 2650fps

BDC in MOA

100 yards - 0
200 yards- 1.7
300 yards- 4.6
400 yards- 8.2
500 yards- 12.5

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Even SAMMI loads will be very close. Most all loads, in all weights from 85gr - 120gr will be close enough to that to use it effectively, with the lighter bullets being flatter out to 400 yards, and the heavier being a little better at 500.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The reticle is far from cluttered. Dimitri put a great deal of thought and testing into the reticle. It flat out works for BDC and movers.

Pat showed one example in the post above. I shoot movers every time I go to Rifles Only to train. Most good carbine classes include some movers. Plenty of people here train and use their AR in classes.

We offer a 1-4X with a simple German 4 reticle for those that want that as well as most other major brands of scope. Plenty of reticle choose from but IMHO this is the best AR reticle for a combination of CQB anbd mid range.  

On a side note I am proud to say we had the first patent associated the the ACSS system get awarded today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reticle is far from cluttered. Dimitri put a great deal of thought and testing into the reticle. It flat out works for BDC and movers.

Pat showed one example in the post above. I shoot movers every time I go to Rifles Only to train. Most good carbine classes include some movers. Plenty of people here train and use their AR in classes.

We offer a 1-4X with a simple German 4 reticle for those that want that as well as most other major brands of scope. Plenty of reticle choose from but IMHO this is the best AR reticle for a combination of CQB anbd mid range.  

On a side note I am proud to say we had the first patent associated the the ACSS system get awarded today.

Congrats on the patent award!
Pat
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You should add 6.8 to your description as well.

There are quite a few loads that match up nearly perfectly to your BDC.

The most common is a 110gr at 2600-2700fps. Most all hand loaders are going to be in that range, and most factory ammo that is bought by 6.8 shooters that care enough to worry about a BDC reticle will be in that range as well since most buy the spec II / tactical / combat loads. Very few shooters by the standard SAAMI loads with are 2550-2600fps for more than plinking, and nobody makes the old SAAMI chambers anymore. I would say close to 85% of all 6.8 rifles out there were made in Spec II or equivalent. and out of that remaining 15%, probably at least 5% or so have had the chambers reamed with the Spec II reamer.

Example here, SSA loaded, Nosler 110gr AB , 2650fps

BDC in MOA

100 yards - 0
200 yards- 1.7
300 yards- 4.6
400 yards- 8.2
500 yards- 12.5

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Even SAMMI loads will be very close. Most all loads, in all weights from 85gr - 120gr will be close enough to that to use it effectively, with the lighter bullets being flatter out to 400 yards, and the heavier being a little better at 500.

View Quote

From page 1, the 50-300 yard dot is at 0.
400 yard dot at 4.74 MOA
500 yard dot at 8.43 MOA
600 yard dot at 12.44 MOA

This lines up really well with the 110 gr 6.8 load shown above.

Do a 100 yard zero instead of a 50 yard.

The center dot would then be good 50-200 yards.
The next dot would be for 300 yards, not 400.
The third dot would be for 400 yards, not 500.
The lowest dot would match up for 500 yards, not 600.

I have one on my lightweight 6.8.  It is the third Primary Arms compact scope on that rifle:  Original 4x, improved 3x, now the 2.5x.  I like it very much.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm currently looking for an optic such as this one.
I had a look at the Burris AR 332, but the small size of the reticle turned me away from it.
Anyone know if the reticle in the PA is any larger?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
This thing can provide a good application to an sbr 308?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Would this sight coexist with a Troy Micro Tritium BUIS system?
View Quote

you can't co witness magnifying optics
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top