BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Explain how it could be done better? You and your kid... Shit... I'm looking for tips from the masters here...How should I run a business?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Explain how it could be done better? You and your kid... Shit... I'm looking for tips from the masters here...How should I run a business?
View Quote

Well to start off, you should have ethics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Tread lightly here fellas, this is a tech forum.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Super.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
He was not clear about origin. My guess is Potomac is this colt oem manufacturer. They could be blems hence why they are unbranded. Palmetto State Armory was selling some listed as blem but no description of type of blem. I'm wondering if these are the same.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Way woke wonderful
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one of the H&R blem uppers on the first round, the color was lighter than the Shark arms upper.  
  My rear sight parts will be here tomorrow, I'll update on,the fitment.  
  I honestly didn't care about the "Colt" claim and didn't give it much weight.  I figured it was on par with someone saying they are from Chicago, but they actually grew up in Aurora.   Same as companies calling stuff "mil-spec" when there is no mil-spec for AR15 lowers, or lower parts kits.  
 I just wanted a grey A1 upper and they have them and shipped right away.

There are some grey A1 uppers listed on GB with the rear sights already installed for $225.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Got it. Let me know how the luth sights work out. Seen a lot of reviews that the screw is super tight on aperture. I was considering ordering a few sets. Brownells has them on sale for $15.99
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got one of the H&R blem uppers on the first round, the color was lighter than the Shark arms upper.  
  My rear sight parts will be here tomorrow, I'll update on,the fitment.  
  I honestly didn't care about the "Colt" claim and didn't give it much weight.  I figured it was on par with someone saying they are from Chicago, but they actually grew up in Aurora.   Same as companies calling stuff "mil-spec" when there is no mil-spec for AR15 lowers, or lower parts kits.  
 I just wanted a grey A1 upper and they have them and shipped right away.

There are some grey A1 uppers listed on GB with the rear sights already installed for $225.
View Quote

I’m wondering if the reason the sights are already installed in those GB listings is to cover for the jerry rigging that had to be done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
That's what I was thinking.
 I remember a story told to me about a place in Saigon.  You sit at a table, it's dark, you lay your $5 on the table.  A hand comes up and takes the 5 and takes care of business down below for you.  Only the most brave or stupid look to see , everyone else is just glad they got what they paid for.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 I remember a story told to me about a place in Saigon.  You sit at a table, it's dark, you lay your $5 on the table.  A hand comes up and takes the 5 and takes care of business down below for you.  Only the most brave or stupid look to see , everyone else is just glad they got what they paid for.
View Quote

Damn!
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've lived in Saigon, it takes more than a $5..

As for C7 Uppers, I'm patiently waiting for H&R to release, and perfect their version.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Sharks are your friends  
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Amazing
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Here’s a link to a set of rear sights:  https://www.amherstmilitarydepot.com/Rear-Sight-Assembly-A1-AR-15-p/ar15-95.htm

There was a thread here on AR15.com and I ordered a couple of sets.  They work, and the finish matches my Nodak Spud upper.  They look similar to the Luth AR, except these have the L stamped in when flipped forward.
View Quote

PSA has H&R new manufacture in stock:  https://palmetto statearmory.com/harrington-richardson-retro-m16a1-rear-sight-kit-parkerized.html - link broken to avoid Vigilink.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Every operator must have.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The reviews on the H&R rear sights (on the PSA Website) indicate there are problems with them being strangely slanted, and missing chunks of metal.   Lots of customers asking if they came from China.  The H&R CEO/Mike has responded stating they are USA, and the missing chunks of metal are attributed to hand filing or some such thing.  He goes on to tell buyers to return them if their unhappy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  PSA has H&R new manufacture in stock:  https://palmetto statearmory.com/harrington-richardson-retro-m16a1-rear-sight-kit-parkerized.html - link broken to avoid Vigilink.

The reviews on the H&R rear sights (on the PSA Website) indicate there are problems with them being strangely slanted, and missing chunks of metal.   Lots of customers asking if they came from China.  The H&R CEO/Mike has responded stating they are USA, and the missing chunks of metal are attributed to hand filing or some such thing.  He goes on to tell buyers to return them if their unhappy.

He's a member here.  I haven't noticed anything unusual w/ mine, but I've not examined them closely, waiting on an uppper to come available.

ETA:  It looks like a single review posted twice by the same person on the same day.  Gary T is the only poster there asking if they were from China, 3 times.  You have to read internet reviews very carefully or you end up w/ impressions like yours.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Be glad you got it. Im still waiting on a KAC buis from 3 years ago. Ive ordered from him a half dozen times and gotten some real garbage. I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a shitbag.

Glad it worked out for OP, that thing looks good.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That sounds like Soi 6 in Pattaya.   They say it’s a daytime venue.   I walked past, but never went in.   It’s not $5.00.    I was told it’s About 1,000 baht ($30.00).    
View Quote

The guy that told me that story was a Sea Bee there in 66-68.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have pics to show difference in this “sight pocket” depth?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone have pics to show difference in this “sight pocket” depth?
View Quote

If, as stated earlier, it can be compensated for with a .010" shim (beer can material thickness) there wouldn't be much to see. I intend to try this fix once I get a free couple of minutes and feel like taking apart the fiddly mess that is an A1 rear sight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#24]
The bestest.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There’s more than one problem.   So, my upper arrived today.   I attempted one spring, and it was floppy loose; like no tension at all.   So , I bent one spring significantly,’and then put a second spring on-top of the first.   That seemed to hold (sort of) but there’s another issue:   The sight doesn’t fit flat because it’s been milled  too deep.   So, in short range position the sight is tilted back towards you.   In the forward (long range) position it’s tilting away from you.  It’s a troubling sight picture.     I can’t post pictures, but I’d be happy to email them to anyone, provided they post them here.     The anodizing looks more sky blue than gray.   It’s disappointing.   Chris, I know you’re reading this, and it’s coming back to you.   Edit:  I tried a military set, a Luth AR Set, and I tried using an A2 peep.   Same issue.   I also have a Nodak Spud and an unknown with the “A” forge mark.   They’re straight.
View Quote

Email sent. I'll post if you like.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Team PSA
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I sent you a series of photos.
View Quote

@Mikeoutwest

Your pics sir.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
The pocket is 1.9mil to deep. Your shim needs to be 1.9 to 1.8mil with about a 1 mil channel hogged out in the middle (to allow room for the spring and detent.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Chris is your friend.   Buy lots of these.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can shim the spring all day long, but the L shaped sight still won’t sit flat.  The sight doesn’t sit on the spring, it’s supposed to lay flat on the flat part inside the channel.   The channel is too deep.    The sight will be at an angle.
View Quote

That’s why you fill that void with a filler shim. So yes, you are shimming the spring.

With the right tools to measure and work with the materials, it will work. Is it convenient, no, but if you have the ability, it’s just fine.  I will snap a picture of my end result tomorrow, my sight sits straight both sides.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That’s why you fill that void with a filler shim. So yes, you are shimming the spring.

With the right tools to measure and work with the materials, it will work. Is it convenient, no, but if you have the ability, it’s just fine.  I will snap a picture of my end result tomorrow, my sight sits straight both sides.
View Quote

How does your shim stay in place unless you lay it over the top of the leaf spring?  it’s an interrupted cut.  Only thing I could figure is JB Weld or bondo lol.

BTW, this is what I was trying to describe in one of my earlier threads.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Sure enough, I just measured mine as well.  If you consider the two level pocket as one unit, the whole thing is too deep relative to the sight screw hole.  Those top shoulders being low gives the A1 sight a rearward or forward cant.

I put an A2 sight in and it sat more perpendicular than the A1 sight since they have more meat on them.  

I'm going to shim the bottom and run it with the A1 canted sight to see where it zeroes. I'll try an A2 sight too.   If needed, I will epoxy in two shims on the shoulders.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How does your shim stay in place unless you lay it over the top of the leaf spring?  it’s an interrupted cut.  Only thing I could figure is JB Weld or bondo lol.

BTW, this is what I was trying to describe in one of my earlier threads.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/6819FFD6-7234-4D55-9947-1BC8169EE0CA_jpe-2774823.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/BCBF7850-E7BC-4619-B9E6-7D40AD4E557D_jpe-2774824.JPG
View Quote

looks like you are be right.  Compared to my H&R upper, its the same shelf cut.  But compared to my Colt upper, neither of them are the same.  Both the Shark and H&R have a slight forward cant when set to L.  The Colt is straight up and down.  The rear shelf on the colt is a bit more shallow than both the shark and H&R.  I still wonder if the Shark and H&R are from the same mfg.

Crap potato phone pics below....

Shark

H&R

Colt

I can not get a good image of the Colt rear pocket nor do I have a good way to measure the pockets w/o taking the sights apart (sorry fella's, not gonna do that) to see the differences between the Shark, H&R, and Colt.

Edit;

ok, i worked it a bit and got my calipers in there on the shelves.

Rear Shelf;

Colt - 1.22 mm

H&R - 1.38 mm

Shark - 1.39 mm

Front Shelf;

Colt - 1.25 mm

H&R - 1.62 mm

Shark - 1.57 mm

That's using the bottom of the channel (the flat part) in the carry handle as the basis of "zero".  So there might and likely is slight variations between the channel on each side of the sight pocket and between mfg's.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Added inch dimensions to your measurements because this is America

Colt - 1.22 mm (.048)

H&R - 1.38 mm (.054)

Shark - 1.39 mm (.055)

Front Shelf;

Colt - 1.25 mm (.049)

H&R - 1.62 mm  (.064)

Shark - 1.57 mm (.061)
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Added inch dimensions to your measurements because this is America

Colt - 1.22 mm (.048)

H&R - 1.38 mm (.054)

Shark - 1.39 mm (.055)

Front Shelf;

Colt - 1.25 mm (.049)

H&R - 1.62 mm  (.064)

Shark - 1.57 mm (.061)
View Quote

lol.  I work in mils way more than inches in my job.... but thanks!

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I just compared some of my uppers
2 Colt CH, no cant
Anchor Harvey C marked, no cant
Anchor Harvey C7, canted forward, straight rear
Shark, canted both ways.  
 That explains having to bend some springs up and flatten others when assembling.
 Either way you slice it the Shark Arms needs more attention for sure..
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#37]
It amazing how un mechanically inclined some people on here are ,shim on top of the spring ? I have one of these and it’s not that hard to figure out a fix ,but it’s easier to run to the computer and complain than taking the time to work through a problem on your own
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Bondo
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Is it my eyes or does the Colt have a thicker aperture body than the others ?   Beefier dimensions of the rear sight body might solve the shimming issue but now its getting crazy.

Quoted:

looks like you are be right.  Compared to my H&R upper, its the same shelf cut.  But compared to my Colt upper, neither of them are the same.  Both the Shark and H&R have a slight forward cant when set to L.  The Colt is straight up and down.  The rear shelf on the colt is a bit more shallow than both the shark and H&R.  I still wonder if the Shark and H&R are from the same mfg.

Crap potato phone pics below....

Shark

https://i.imgur.com/JstbgQI.jpg

H&R

https://i.imgur.com/SSU8gu7.jpg

Colt

https://i.imgur.com/L9YqwjB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1mCB8uP.jpg

I can not get a good image of the Colt rear pocket nor do I have a good way to measure the pockets w/o taking the sights apart (sorry fella's, not gonna do that) to see the differences between the Shark, H&R, and Colt.

Edit;

ok, i worked it a bit and got my calipers in there on the shelves.

Rear Shelf;

Colt - 1.22 mm

H&R - 1.38 mm

Shark - 1.39 mm

Front Shelf;

Colt - 1.25 mm

H&R - 1.62 mm

Shark - 1.57 mm

That's using the bottom of the channel (the flat part) in the carry handle as the basis of "zero".  So there might and likely is slight variations between the channel on each side of the sight pocket and between mfg's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is it my eyes or does the Colt have a thicker aperture body than the others ?   Beefier dimensions of the rear sight body might solve the shimming issue but now its getting crazy.

View Quote

It might. I will measure the three when I get back to the house later.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It amazing how un mechanically inclined some people on here are ,shim on top of the spring ? I have one of these and it’s not that hard to figure out a fix ,but it’s easier to run to the computer and complain than taking the time to work through a problem on your own
View Quote

Post up your "fix", include pics.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok. Bear with me on this.....

Shark receiver (H&R sight) - 2.69mm

H&R receiver (Luth sight) - 2.72mm

Colt receiver (Colt Sight) - 2.87mm

These measurements are just for the "L" side.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#43]
An A2 rear sight thickness is 3.5mm and 2.65 on the wide opening.  It still sits canted in my Shark arms upper.

I'm going to make a bottom shim that fits the whole well space. (I'll update with the thickness)  I'll relieve a channel for the sight wheel spring (as mentioned before by someone)

I'm not sure the cant is going to affect anything on a regular 20" barrel sight picture  ( the rear sight sits a little lower)
  If you are running a carbine barrel with an F front sight base, you will probably bottom out the front sight to raise your point of impact.

Edited to add:
 If you have small taps, you can tap a stop screw on the shelf for the sight to rest on to pull up that slack.  You would only see a nub on the opposite side.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Wonder if this is related to the H&R zeroing issues a few folks have reported?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#45]
That’s super.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hopefully these posts will alert anyone considering buying one of these.
View Quote

This is what it's all about.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#47]
The upper specs were or are online. Either they meet or they don't. I have a couple of old aftermarket uppers and there is no problem with them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Colt's drawing:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Makes sense given the dimensions I posted above with the colt being very close to that .050 shelf measurement.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#50]
ODA Team PSA uses Shark Gear.  
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top