Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 12:55:00 AM EDT
I love my sp1 but hated the triangle hand guards.  Found a huge tote of Colt hand gaurds for 5$ each so I bought 3 pairs of various shinyness and when I got home tonight a put the closest matching ones on it.  . Flame away purest.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I may turn my carbine into a dissipator
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an indisputable fact that A2 Handguards are superior to A1s
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks a lot like some of the rifles we used for our yearly qualifications. One of the range NCOs even put delta rings on them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Round handguards preceded triangular...  i.e. prototypes.  Also the "A2" type handguards were designed in the late 1960s., as per The Black Rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Really? no one, anywhere has ever disputed that all encompassing statement?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your absolute universally applied statement holds no water to be even close to being 100 percent true. Subjective, yes. Superior? That's up to the shooter and not just one guy saying this.

The A2 hand guards is just one reason among the many why I will not want to do an A2 clone and would rather do an A4 clone, and that A2 hand guard does play a part in that decision.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your absolute universally applied statement holds no water to be even close to being 100 percent true. Subjective, yes. Superior? That's up to the shooter and not just one guy saying this.

The A2 handguards are just one reason among the many why I will not want to do an A2 clone and would rather do an A4 clone, and that A2 hand guard does play a part in that decision.
View Quote
The reason why I like A2's a lot more than A1s is first that they're pretty much available everywhere. They aren't prone to the breaking that I've encountered on A1s. Another reason why I like them is that there's only one handguard part, not a left and a right. I also like how they're round compared to the triangle, it facilitates more shooting styles from a C clamp to using a sling a lot easier than triangle handguards. By A4 Clone, I assume you mean a guardrail. I like quad rails, but I prefer A2s over them as they're lighter, cheaper, and slimmer. I usually mount a light and a foregrip. The standard A2 and M4 handguards have accessories that allow it mount these without having to use a quad rail.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm just mad that you didn't hook us up with the $5 handguards

Was that per each one, or per set of 2?  If per set then that is a great deal and I would have got quite a few of them myself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hope not. I just got some Brownells A1 handguards. Hopefully, these hold up from what I heard, they're made out of Zytel
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The reason why I like A2's a lot more than A1s is first that they're pretty much available everywhere. They aren't prone to the breaking that I've encountered on A1s. Another reason why I like them is that there's only one handguard part, not a left and a right. I also like how they're round compared to the triangle, it facilitates more shooting styles from a C clamp to using a sling a lot easier than triangle handguards. By A4 Clone, I assume you mean a guardrail. I like quad rails, but I prefer A2s over them as they're lighter, cheaper, and slimmer. I usually mount a light and a foregrip. The standard A2 and M4 handguards have accessories that allow it mount these without having to use a quad rail.
View Quote
Brownells is now selling reproduced A1 hand guards, so there is the availability there. They've never broke when I was issued an A1. The round part is not suitable to do more precise shots. Look at the bench rest rifles, they're flat in the front for a very good reason. Using a sling is just the same to me with an A1 as it is with an A2. I don't C clamp. Yes I mean quad rail, I can put on Magpul covers that aren't as slippery as the KAC or A2 hand guard. Magpul has a hand guard that has Mlok. Mlok is the future. I can easily find things for that to use to mount things to the rifle and I use the foregrip as a thumbreak because as I said earlier, I don't use the C grip.

The only thing that I ever liked about the A2 was the heavier barrel, the pistol grip, and the delta ring.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Brownells is now selling reproduced A1 hand guards, so there is the availability there. They've never broke when I was issued an A1. The round part is not suitable to do more precise shots. Look at the bench rest rifles, they're flat in the front for a very good reason. Using a sling is just the same to me with an A1 as it is with an A2. I don't C clamp. Yes I mean quad rail, I can put on Magpul covers that aren't as slippery as the KAC or A2 hand guard. Magpul has a hand guard that has Mlok. Mlok is the future. I can easily find things for that to use to mount things to the rifle and I use the foregrip as a thumbreak because as I said earlier, I don't use the C grip.

The only thing that I ever liked about the A2 was the heavier barrel, the pistol grip, and the delta ring.
View Quote
Brownells is just one vendor. A2 Handguards are available by virtually all manufacturers. I'm assuming that these rifles aren't for bench rest shooting. Free floated rifles are better suited for bench rest shooting than any of these. You can add covers to Quad rails, but they'll still always be twice as thick as standard handguards. I also like the 1/7 twist a lot better than the 1/12 and the squared off front post and rear sight aperture.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just mad that you didn't hook us up with the $5 handguards

Was that per each one, or per set of 2?  If per set then that is a great deal and I would have got quite a few of them myself.
View Quote
They were per set.  I was at Knobscreek and the guy had a few good deals.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Brownells is just one vendor. A2 Handguards are available by virtually all manufacturers. I'm assuming that these rifles aren't for bench rest shooting. Free floated rifles are better suited for bench rest shooting than any of these. You can add covers to Quad rails, but they'll still always be twice as thick as standard handguards. I also like the 1/7 twist a lot better than the 1/12 and the squared off front post and rear sight aperture.
View Quote
And there are tons of discarded A2 hand guards at the shops and shows where people have gotten rid of them for something else more liked, so what's your point? You missed the whole point of having a more stable rifle for precise shooting, it helps when things are on the move or in a fixed position. Twice as thick to who? The C clamp shooter or the thumb break shooter? Hint, the thumb break shooter isn't bothered at all. I qualified Expert and on a bad day Sharpshooter with 1/12. The A1 front and rear are still the best iron sights to me.

This back and forth just goes to show that your claim of indisputable has just been disputed more than once
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]
hell . . . I always wondered why they switched to triangular

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of a retrohead swaps triangular guards for round?!

Now folks are going to start telling me the 1980s was a long time ago....

Dang, I’m old....
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Heck, that's exactly what my first rifle for qualifications as a cadet was, an A1 w/swapped out furniture.  After I shimmed the upper and lower with cardboard it still shot pretty damn well...
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I love my sp1 but hated the triangle hand guards.  Found a huge tote of Colt hand gaurds for 5$ each so I bought 3 pairs of various shinyness and when I got home tonight a put the closest matching ones on it.  . Flame away purest.  https://i.imgur.com/zinKejb.jpg
View Quote
Would you happen to be selling the triangular ones?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my sp1 but hated the triangle hand guards.  Found a huge tote of Colt hand gaurds for 5$ each so I bought 3 pairs of various shinyness and when I got home tonight a put the closest matching ones on it.  . Flame away purest.  https://i.imgur.com/zinKejb.jpg
no I am going to keep them.  I saw a shit ton of new old stock for 20$ a set
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pristine SP1, not worn M16?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the A1s were brand new, saw used ones also.  Couldn't find any new A2s
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I can remember and loathe when uncle sugar took my A1 away and gave me that A2 POS !!!. And several years after that when in the nasty guard I was real happy with the old A1's I got to love years before. Than then one drill they had a handguard party as all the rambutts wanted the new roundy doundy awesome tacticool  round handguards...... was a bad day in A1 ville. Almost as sad as when they took away the  1911A1's and doled out the POS M9 gats !.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I have to agree about the A1 being better than the A2.  First the A1 triangular handguards sit flat in the off hand while shooting.  You don't grasp it, you cup it.  Second, the fact that the Ar15 platform started out as a very light and handy 6 pound platform, and the A2 turned it into a clunky 8 pounder.  If I was going to carry 8 pounds, it would be my PTR91 HK91 clone in 7.62 NATO, or an FN FAL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This...See my earlier post.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's not forget about the Lone Star A1 upgrade handguards!

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#27]
That's how we had our M16A1s in my first unit.

It's a very good-feeling/handling configuration, especially with the Type D stock, but we had mostly Type E and A2 stocks.

Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:25:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Not really a bad thing, IMO.  

It would be far worse to take your weapon and neuter it just to re-live the 1994-2004 era.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Ref: Lone Star handguards.
I just picked up a pair at the last local gun show. They were in a junk box, got them for $10 along with an A2 pistol grip. I was wondering what they were. Good to know they are retro, sort of.
They will match the Lone Star grip I got from Gunparts.
Did Lone Star make buttstocks as well?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#32]
The only thing I dont like about A1 handguards is how wide they are in the rear, I have to get creative in fitting all of my retro builds into the safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ref: Lone Star handguards.
I just picked up a pair at the last local gun show. They were in a junk box, got them for $10 along with an A2 pistol grip. I was wondering what they were. Good to know they are retro, sort of.
They will match the Lone Star grip I got from Gunparts.
Did Lone Star make buttstocks as well?
View Quote
I don't think they ever did a buttstock. There is very little info I've been able to find about the Lone Star stuff. The Stowaway 2 grips seem to be sought after by the guys doing the SOPMOD clones.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top