Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2017 7:51:59 PM EDT
Well, here it is my faux 602 build...probably soon to be a Faux-601 if the green painted Brownell's brown furniture works out.
Lower:                NDS-601
Lower Parts Kit:   Colt
Buffer tube:        Colt
Upper receiver:    Colt SP1 CM Forge code
Barrel:                Brownell's 1/12 twist pencil barrel, chrome lined chamber and bore with DPMS 3 prong flash hider
BCG:                  Fulton Armory chrome slick side BCG with Stag chrome bolt
Furniture:           Brownell's Retro black M16A1 set.
Sling:                 Original GI
Bayonet:            original Colt contract M7 (not German made)
Mags:                USGI 20s
Scope:               UltraLux 4X Colt clone from EBay $39!

The furniture is great.  My only two major observations are 1) the shiny edge of the stock where it hits the lower, below lower receiver extension.  Need to make it matet with some sandpaper to match the stock. 2) pistol grip top is more like modern A2 grip.

Yes, it can shoot!

Iron sights: 25 yard battle sight  Each square 1/4" or 1 MOA (at 25 yards)

UltraLux 4X Scope  50 yard sight in
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great, dude!
Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I wanted a shooter that was a representation of a 601 or 602.  In years past I have chased original parts for the perfect build.  Years ago (late 1980s) I put an original 1/14 "W" barrel on an early SP1, and used a chrome 601 BCG, Edgewater buffer, and an original set of 90% intact green 601 furniture and an original 601 duckbill and charging handle.  I always tire of them, or find something else to build.  In that case, a supposed friend borrowed the furniture, and never returned it!

This time I just wanted to have an affordable shooter with the early retro look.  I returned the green Brownell's furniture and asked them to send brown instead. I will paint it with Testor's FS 34079 like I did my last 601 build. That I used USGI, and when it scratched or woreoff black shown through.  With the brown Brownell's furniture underneath, at least it will look more correct.  Also I will not have to murder a nice set of scarce original furniture like I did that time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats your plan regarding that bullet button? I'm looking for solutions to make my guns featureless.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I am getting a custom grip wrap for A1 grip from MonkieBoi on Cal Guns.  Then I am using the faux-601 duckbill John Thomas did up for me.  Off with the bullet button then.  I refuse to register as assault weapons and keep bullet button on.  

CAV-Comp breaks are great, too.  That's what I have on my middy 1/8 twist M4gery.  It looks like an A2 flash hider, but is a legal muzzle brake.

I used the CAV-Comp on my featureless Ar180 build, also.

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am getting a custom grip wrap for A1 grip from MonkieBoi on Cal Guns.  Then I am using the faux-601 duckbill John Thomas did up for me.  Off with the bullet button then.  I refuse to register as assault weapons and keep bullet button on.  

https://i.imgur.com/LBG2BTH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xLHNd0q.jpg

CAV-Comp breaks are great, too.  That's what I have on my middy 1/8 twist M4gery.  It looks like an A2 flash hider, but is a legal muzzle brake.

https://i.imgur.com/BZp7tKE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V6nV34B.jpg

I used the CAV-Comp on my featureless Ar180 build, also.

https://i.imgur.com/AUWNBPw.jpg
View Quote
Ah yes, atleast we get to keep our bayonets
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Your build turned out great, nice work!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good man
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking 602 clone. I did one a few years ago using a CM forge code SP1 upper as well. Although it does not look that correct in comparison to the 602 upper receiver, it serves my purpose. I did use a lot of original Colt parts on mine as well. The slickside BCG is a DPMS unit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice looking 602 clone. I did one a few years ago using a CM forge code SP1 upper as well. Although it does not look that correct in comparison to the 602 upper receiver, it serves my purpose. I did use a lot of original Colt parts on mine as well. The slickside BCG is a DPMS unit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/602c-319959.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/602b-319960.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/602e_small-319957.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/602f-319961.JPG

These are older pics. I have since changed the sling to a cotton web sling.
View Quote
Nice!  There is something so awesome about the lean, slim, slick side ARs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking great!

I like the early guns without FA.  The tubular look through the gun seems more in line with what Stoner envisioned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice rifle, imarangemaster. I'm a little surprised that you can still legally assemble a rifle like that in CA. What are the laws as they now stand? I see those funky flap-shaped thingies on your other rifles, do they make a rifle compliant?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice rifle, imarangemaster. I'm a little surprised that you can still legally assemble a rifle like that in CA. What are the laws as they now stand? I see those funky flap-shaped thingies on your other rifles, do they make a rifle compliant?
View Quote
Well, its complicated.  If you possessed the rifle with a bullet button before 1-1-17, you have to register it by 7-1-18 as a Bullet Button Assault Rifle and use only 10 round magazines.  If you choose, however, you can make it featureless, (fixed stock, no pistol grip, and no flash hider) and not have to register it, and you can use a standard magazine release button and any magazine.  M1 Carbines, Mini-14s, M1As and Kel Tec SU16s are naturally featureless.  ARs and AKs can be made featureless by using a grip wrap that prevents a "Pistol Style Grasp", replace the flash hider with a muzzle break, and pin the stock if it collapses.  

This build has a bullet button as I had it before 1-1-17. As soon as my grip wrap arrives, I will install it and the Faux flash hider I got from John Thomas and make it featureless with a standard magazine release.

Magazines of more than 10 rounds were supposed to be banned as of 7-1-17, but a Federal Judge stopped the law in its tracks.  Prior to that, you had to have the high capacity magazine prior to 1-1-2000.  This law would ban them all together, except active and retired LEOs.  As an retired CA LEO, I can keep the mags if if the law goes into effect.

Some of my "Featureless Weapons"

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the clarification. Such asinine laws.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that 602 turned out real nice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.  Just ordered two of y'all's Ledgegrips to build AR57 pistols with.  Are you able to build featureless rifles from scratch, or do you have to start w/ a serialized lower?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not sure.  I think you have to assign it a serial number or something.  I never paid much attention, as I have no 80%.  Calguns forum is the place to ask.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow, that 602 turned out real nice.
View Quote
Thanks Pard!  All done with a little help from my friends!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the brown Brownell's furniture and painted it OD  with Testors.  My 602 will be a 601 after I get the triangular charging handle from NDS, the the 601 bolt catch from John Thomas at Retro Arms Work.  I have two choices here in Californication.  I can use a kydex paddle and the faux-duckbill from JT - and not have to register (having the ability to use high cap mags and a regular mag release. Or I can install a bullet button, register it as an assault rifler, and be stuck with 10 round magazines.  The upside is no paddle and a standard flash hider.  My initial inclination is to just use the paddle.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top