Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 6:08:06 PM EDT
I nabbed this upper on gunbroker and was curious what causes the upper to turn red.  I have seen the purple discoloration before, but not reddish.

Any info is appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
is that paint?   almost looks like a coat of red lead.....    

I have seen anodizing turn purple, but it still has the look (or sheen?) of anodizing on it... that looks flat... 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Its hard to tell by the pic but try and rub some oil on it, may just be dry...IDK just an idea
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That definitely looks dyed or painted.  It may have been a training or drill weapon, or something.  I know that the hard coat anodizing will take dyes.  I would say to clean it with a bristle brush and acetone.  Acetone really pulls everything out of both parkerizing and hard coat anodizing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
That upper has been painted or treated with something that is coating the anodizing or coating bare metal, anodizing will not turn that rust primer color on its own.

Anodized receivers used to turn purple because of environmental reaction to the anodizing, which you don't see anymore.

But that receiver needs to be stripped.  Pick up some MEK or a small bottle of acetone and start taking that coating off, which actually looks like old fashion rustoleum lead based primer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't have it for a week or so, but I really appreciate the info guys!  

I will be sure not to eat the paint chips if it is lead based!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
From the auction:
"It's not purple, don't know how that happened ??"
Some sort of unwanted photo effect maybe?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some sort of unwanted photo effect maybe?
View Quote
That was my first thought when I saw it. I bought a Colt upper that looked very purplish in a pic, and was a charcoal grey in person.
Looks like a bad picture to me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello.  I've got an old 604 upper receiver that looks similar, it has a red-brown tint even on the dark lugs. (the one on the left)

The color shift looks even across the whole part, I don't know what caused it.

Quoted:
I nabbed this upper on gunbroker and was curious what causes the upper to turn red.  I have seen the purple discoloration before, but not reddish.
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/696435000/696435423/pix435630090.jpg
Any info is appreciated!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hello.  I've got an old 604 upper receiver that looks similar, it has a red-brown tint even on the dark lugs. (the one on the left)

https://i.imgur.com/MuHSpeU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u9Zr6Su.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Hi1iYXV.jpg

View Quote
Naw, you got one of the coveted purple hued ones there...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
That upper is factory.

I have seen several early uppers with the purple hue like that with little freckle spots on them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my royal tiger uppers was basically new with a coat of grease. I took a can off brake cleaner to it and that kind of happened..
But that color looks mystical.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Sell it with a story involving blood stains from the Tet Offensive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/MuHSpeU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u9Zr6Su.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Hi1iYXV.jpg

Really?
I have a purplish brown/black upper that I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to match the finish.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sell it with a story involving blood stains from the Tet Offensive.
View Quote
"The damaged nuclear reactor was built on an ancient Indian burial ground in Vietnam and when the soldier Rohn Jambo was bitten by the radioactive spider that ate lead paint, he and his rifle turned red with special powers and Rohn went on a one man rampage that began the Tet Offensive."

This is probably not the most far-fetched line - I have seen some nearly as bad on Armslist!

To keep it technical - I do plan on spot testing the acetone to see what happens.  The pics look like it is in decent shape and even if it stays red, I will be the only kid on my block with a red SP1!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got an old Leupold M8 scope that has turned to that brownish red color.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Colt proofed, no forge code, rebated front lug A1 upper that is a reddish-purple. The color is even and under the dry lube inside. I tried MEK and Acetone since we have both at work and neither touched the color. The blotchy spot near the barrel threads is from my trying Acetone and MEK. It's still the same color, that white area rubbed off to being the reddish-purple.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I am betting that acetone or MEK will remove the red.  WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES!  Sloshing either around with a brush will send micro droplets flying!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am betting that acetone or MEK will remove the red.  WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES!  Sloshing either around with a brush will send micro droplets flying!
View Quote
If you use MEK, heed this man's advice. That stuff is absolutely pure concentrated evil. Don't get it on your skin, and don't use it without lots of ventilation, meaning preferably outdoors. It is one potent solvent though, and can be useful.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top