Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 11:09:03 AM EDT
Hey yall. I have been wanting an A1/Vietnam War era AR-15 for as long as I can remember. I have researched building one, but do not feel comfortable in my abilities to do so, piece by piece. Although a little pricey, I have been eye balling Fulton Armory's line up of legacy/retro ARs. They offer the slick slide or A1 model, as of right now around $1,200. I already have one of their A1 buttstock kit assemblies, so I was planning on just purchasing one of their A1 barreled uppers, which is $900. Does anyone here have any experience with Fulton? My limited research of them has shown they produce quality firearms, but I have found hardly zero on their AR-15 variants. I am including links to the aforementioned rifles/uppers. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

FAR-15 A1

FAR-15 A1 Upper

Slick Slide FAR-15
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The Fulton have been around for awhile. I think the Troy replicas are closer in detail, better quality and around the same price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered buying an SP1? A nice shooter is not a whole lot more than the Fulton rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you considered buying an SP1? A nice shooter is not a whole lot more than the Fulton rifle.
View Quote
Plus one.  For that money, you can get a very nice Colt SP1 AR15 that will retain value much better.  Also, it will have a chrome lined barrel, instead of Fulton's non-chrome lined barrel.  

Don't get me wrong, Fulton is a great company, with great products.  They are a good alternative for people like me who live behind enemy lines in California, where an SP1 is banned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Plus one.  For that money, you can get a very nice Colt SP1 AR15 that will retain value much better.  Also, it will have a chrome lined barrel, instead of Fulton's non-chrome lined barrel.  

Don't get me wrong, Fulton is a great company, with great products.  They are a good alternative for people like me who live behind enemy lines in California, where an SP1 is banned.
View Quote
The Fulton has a Criterion chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Fulton has a Criterion chrome-lined barrel.
View Quote
Very cool.. Good to know.  I thought they were using the AR15Sport.com non-chrome lined 1/12.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I just ordered the A1 upper, so we'll see. According to their website, the barrel is 1:8 twist and chrome lined.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I just ordered the A1 upper, so we'll see. According to their website, the barrel is 1:8 twist and chrome lined.
View Quote
1:8? What the hell?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't care for the screwed on front sight gas block; should be pinned.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
The FSB is pinned according to their website.....and as far as the twist rate, most everyone is offering either 1/7 or 1/9, with their going with 1/8 it should be better able to handle most everything decently. Once I get the upper I'll do a full review, pics, etc. I'm sure you could do a build slightly cheaper, depending on where the parts come from, etc. but we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
They used to use a front sight with "power wedge" screws.

I got mine 1.5 yrs ago for $300 less and it came with a screwed on front sight and bayonet lug. I later had them pin on a proper front sight with bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
You will like it. Did you order the slick side? Fulton is one of the few that have offered a retro in a match barrel format for some time. They have finally switch to taper pins and offer that barrel assembly. Mine has the power fa power wedge front sight. I am glade they finally switched to taper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
This summer at Camp Perry during the National Matches I stopped in Commercial Row and checked out Fulton Armory. Pricey, but there are not a lot of new M16A1 builders on the block. The A1 didn't look bad or the slick side version either. What turned me off was the black finish. If in original retro grey I'd been more supportive. Good luck on your new purchase and would like feed back once it arrives and shot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I ordered the A1 with tear drop FA and A1 birdcage. If all goes well this will be a shooter and possibly my go to AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The slick side is nice.

I would get that, replace the lower with a NoDak partial fence or Brownell's 80% custom engraved partial fence, and Cerakote the receivers Tactical Grey or a blend of Sniper Grey and Graphite Black to get rid of the blue tones of Sniper Grey.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top