BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 9:19:37 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Square forge
Cercoatwd green early rebates lug. 601 door line up.  
It's got that Tony's fake 607 hag on it.  No name Bart's.  Ea lower.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you buy it? It can be saved!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You are a lucky guy, JHUD.  is there any way to remove Cerrocoat?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't yet.  
This would be all the spending money I have.
I've got a pile of uppers already.
But none with the 601 rebate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't yet.  
This would be all the spending money I have.
I've got a pile of uppers already.
But none with the 601 rebate. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The ceracoat bothers me.  
The seller always has a similar build they are always coated.
Most of the time it's an LM build
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I've got too many other irons in the fire to spend on this right now so I'll probably just leave it be even though it is really a cool park. I guess if anybody wants to get turned on to It  send me and I am an hour to tell you he's got it
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If you aren't planing on buying it you should tell him how much more it was worth before he painted it.  

I don't suppose any of the other parts are original, barrel etc?  You could perhaps get him to part it out for you, perhaps he would if you offered a good price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Cerakote CAN be removed entirely via sandblasting. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this at the gun show in lyman?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
From what I've been told, sandblasting is about the only thing that will remove Cerakote. It's pretty much impervious to chemicals. The big problem with that, is that sandblasting will also remove the original anodizing beneath the Cerakote.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From what I've been told, sandblasting is about the only thing that will remove Cerakote. It's pretty much impervious to chemicals. The big problem with that, is that sandblasting will also remove the original anodizing beneath the Cerakote.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder who the idiot is that Cerakoted a very, very early 604 upper?  The other problem with sandblasting is the original Colt proof marks are going to be history.  Another possible problem is when the lugs are blasted you might notice some wiggle when the upper is pinned to the lower.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this at the gun show in lyman?
View Quote
yes Lyman . HWY49  lots of good vendors and I'm there too with my magic duffle bag.

I did tell the guy about the value , after scratching my head over buying it.
Apparently all these ARs he sells were made years ago by a now defunct FFL.
The work has been done. However I promised to reimburse him for helping me find more parts like this.
there is a source !!

My collection cant afford it right now

Taz.. there just using local surplus.. old habits
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I will be there tomorrow carrying one of my 50 BMG's around trying to sell it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
It's always nice to have a source for retro parts at reasonable prices since they sure aren't reasonable on here anymore.  Sometimes some really good deals can be found at local shows depending on where you live.  I very very rarely find anything retro at a show around here unless it is a complete SP1 of some flavor but I have found good deals on a couple uppers in the past that nobody else at the show wanted.  That is one advantage about living in a area without a large population, most people don't collect or even know the value of retro parts.

Edited - While I would rather have that upper anodized it wouldn't be that bad if you just painted it with MolyResin to the original color, I don't know how well it would go over the Cerakote.  I'd love to rig up my own anodizing and may even possibly go that route but getting some Moly Resin is much cheaper and looks great.  The only big problem for me is I like the BFPU look and I am not sure I can make the painted rifles look right like I could anodized parts.  I'm going to have to research home anodizing a little more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#15]
everyone is not so unreasonable with pricing

If you want to talk economics and parts. I'm here all day.  
H
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Im from Hburg area, living in Oxford now.. We never have any good stuff show up at gun shows around here. Plus, everyone wants to hike up the prices big time because its "rich Ole Miss folks"

Cool find, none the less though!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
On a side note, I really love the look of the earliest 601/602/604 upper receivers. The way the rebate on the upper lines up with the edge of the lower looks awesome, as does the angular "square forge" in front of the port door. Other than the green Cerakote, that picture at the top of this thread is really making me droooooool...

It's too bad that the "earliest" uppers (and almost all of the other parts) are almost unobtanium, because the earliest 604 is my favorite AR variant. They have a couple of useful improvements over the 602/602 but lack the bolt forward assist of the 603. They are "Clean and Mean". I'll bet even Mr. Stoner approved of the evolutionary modifications that led from ArmaLite's rifle to the Colt Model 604.

It would be tempting to buy that rifle and attempt to "rescue" the upper receiver. Maybe what the seller is calling "Cerakote" is actually something less tenacious, like Gunkote or even paint.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top