User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2017 6:28:19 PM EDT
I'm pretty excited about getting outdoors to test this build
Brick made me a 5" long moderator, so that I could pin and weld it to a BCM 11.5" barrel 1-7 twist.
Everything else is all original parts, except for the Lower Receiver obviously, and the new OEG mount.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't look half bad, even with the slightly-longer-than-usual mod!
And it should be a decent shooter with the modern barrel.  I look forward to the after action report.  I'm sure it'll turn some heads at the range!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly wouldn't have even noticed the longer moderator if you didn't mention it.

Also isn't technically a GAU-5A/A with no forward assist? Not sure just curious.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Great looking rifle, the early 30rd Colt mags are a nice touch!

And yeah as mentioned ^ the XM177E2 was a forward assist model only so its a great looking 630 / GAU-5A!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly wouldn't have even noticed the longer moderator if you didn't mention it.

Also isn't technically a GAU-5A/A with no forward assist? Not sure just curious.
View Quote
Correct. Still nice bine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
jeepdan,

SWEET 649 GAU-5/A/A you got there. Only thing technically wrong would be positioning of the DoD stamp. Should be mag well front. That mount looks great as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
LQQking good jeepdan
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Geeze,
I can't even remember what I had engraved on the receiver last year.  I edited the title.
And they say the mind is the second thing to go
Thanks guys for the constructive criticism. Being a perfectionist, I appreciate getting details right.
I'm going to remove the stamp with acetone and do over.  So, small stamp on the front of mag well?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I personally think that your longer moderator looks better than a longer barrel on a non-NFA, XM carbine clone. It's almost unnoticeable to me, and I'm picky!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, great job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
jeepdan,

Small stamp on front of mag well, and you have perfection. Retro Black Rifle will confirm things for you.

That moderator DOES look nifty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I personally think that your longer moderator looks better than a longer barrel on a non-NFA, XM carbine clone. It's almost unnoticeable to me, and I'm picky!
View Quote
Yep, almost makes me regret doing my normal sized moderator with a longer barrel. Wish I would have thought of it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
jeepdan,

IF it is allowable, what did brick1 charge you for the extended moderator? Perhaps I too will follow the path you blazed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
jeepdan,

IF it is allowable, what did brick1 charge you for the extended moderator? Perhaps I too will follow the path you blazed.
View Quote
It was the same price, or maybe only slightly more than his correct length moderator.
 Only thing was,  I had to wait a short time until he was manufacturing a new batch to get the custom length.
Hands down whatever length, his are the most authentic looking moderators out there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Auto sear pin: Did you shave a piece from a 1/8th inch rod and glue it on with locktite?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Auto sear pin: Did you shave a piece from a 1/8th inch rod and glue it on with locktite?
View Quote
It wasn't LockTite brand CA glue, but yes. And I can pop it off of the aluminum with a Xacto knife if I had to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep, almost makes me regret doing my normal sized moderator with a longer barrel. Wish I would have thought of it.
View Quote
I agree too.  I really wanted one a few years ago, inspired by UXB.  Glad I never saw this or I would probably have one.  I am over it now but that looks really great!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Glad I never saw this or I would probably have one.  I am over it now...
View Quote
You are a retro forum member, yet you state the aforementioned.

I would bet you will regret saying those words once gun shows start back up next month and you are looking for parts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]
That is one sweet build. What is that scope on it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:31:39 AM EDT
[#20]
looks awesome
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is one sweet build. What is that scope on it?
View Quote
Thanks
It's not really a scope, but a vintage Occluded Eye Gunsight.  
http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/19/sof-carbines-comparing-the-son-tay-gau-5aa-and-the-m4a1-cqbr-part-i/
http://combatreform.org/sontay.htm
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks great jeepdan!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#23]
jeepdan,

Last detail you need is electrical tape.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
jeepdan,

Last detail you need is electrical tape.
View Quote
I can do that.  Vinyl, or friction tape?
It would ruin the appearance of the well made mount though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can do that.  Vinyl, or friction tape?
It would ruin the appearance of the well made mount though.
View Quote
jeep,

Yes, the mount "towers" will get covered, but it WILL duplicate what the Raiders did. Maybe put one layer of vinyl for protection, then use the friction tape for the November 1970 look?

And I am going to start looking at have John Thomas (@jntmjt1) make a new faux suppressor for me that will copy yours. That 5.5" on the 11.5" barrel looks WAY better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#26]
[b]Quoted:[/b

And I am going to start looking at have John Thomas (@jntmjt1) make a new faux suppressor for me that will copy yours. That 5.5" on the 11.5" barrel looks WAY better.
View Quote
Moderator is 5"----  It, and the grenade ring washer (properly pinned and welded) puts a 11.5" barrel slightly over 16" to avoid NFA.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice.  

This site always costs me money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#28]
How did you make that faux (or I hope so) auto sear? I have an A1 lower made from an 80%, and I didn't mill out the area for the auto sear. I was thinking of drilling an fixing an oversized pin to complete the look.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Moderator is 5"----  It, and the grenade ring washer (properly pinned and welded) puts a 11.5" barrel slightly over 16" to avoid NFA.
http://i.imgur.com/vxyzAtI.jpg
View Quote
jeep,

I might have my gunsmith make one for me, based on my brick1 moderator.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How did you make that faux (or I hope so) auto sear? I have an A1 lower made from an 80%, and I didn't mill out the area for the auto sear. I was thinking of drilling an fixing an oversized pin to complete the look.
View Quote
That is a very thin, dot of 1/8"dia. drill rod that I applied to the surface of the aluminum.
Don't drill a hole through the receiver in that area. No matter if it is oversize, or off location.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks good!

Brick
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Where did you get the Single Point mount?  Is that vintage, or is it something newly made?  I would like to get one for my Single Point.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where did you get the Single Point mount?  Is that vintage, or is it something newly made?  I would like to get one for my Single Point.
View Quote
It is a high quality, newly made repro. One of the first 14 made.
IM retroguy for details on the next batch made
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#34]
This build is very well thought out and deserves a bump.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow that is Nice.
Hope this isn’t to silly of a question. Is the delta ring anodized gray or painted.?
I Have almost all the parts for a build like this and for some reason I have a flat ring.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#36]
USAF,

The ring is an anodized delta ring. genofromreno might have one if you need one. If you need an OEG mount, PM me. If you first need the Singlepoint optic, good luck! 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Very nice build.  I've long wanted to do a GAU-5A/A build.  I like the idea of using the longer moderator rather than the 12.7" barrel.  I think I may choose to go that route for my build once I get around to it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#38]
My BCM 11.5” arrived today, Brick moderator ships Monday. In about eight months or so I’ll have an upper and lower from NODAK. Thanks for the inspiration.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#39]
What's the reason for the letter suffix on the serial number?  I don't think I've ever seen that on an original.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#40]
This looks awesome.

Curious to hear how the Ocluded Eye Gunsight performs. Those always interested me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What's the reason for the letter suffix on the serial number?  I don't think I've ever seen that on an original.
View Quote
bigstick,

That is jeepdan's personal firearm, hence he selected the serial number for the engraver.

Additionally, since you ARE referring to an Air Force designation, you should also remember the Air Force used some pretty "flaky" call signs for aircraft during the Vietnam conflict. Note what the call signs were for the various aircraft used during the Son Tay Raid itself:

Apple = HH-53s
Banana = HH-1 (which crashlanded the main assault force into the prison compound)
Cherry = C-130 support aircraft
Peach = A-1E Skyraider

Just accept it as an Air Force designation without rhyme or reason.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
bigstick,

That is jeepdan's personal firearm, hence he selected the serial number for the engraver.

Additionally, since you ARE referring to an Air Force designation, you should also remember the Air Force used some pretty "flaky" call signs for aircraft during the Vietnam conflict. Note what the call signs were for the various aircraft used during the Son Tay Raid itself:

Apple = HH-53s
Banana = HH-1 (which crashlanded the main assault force into the prison compound)
Peach = A-1E Skyraider

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bigstick,

Apple = HH-53s
Peach = A-1E Skyraider

I'm quite aware that he selected the number and that it's his personal weapon.  Since I want to do something along these lines, I was curious if the suffix was an element in making the markings look original or something else.  I don't think that it has anything to do with an AF designation, unlike the model name.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm quite aware that he selected the number and that it's his personal weapon.  Since I want to do something along these lines, I was curious if the suffix was an element in making the markings look original or something else.  I don't think that it has anything to do with an AF designation, unlike the model name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bigstick,

Apple = HH-53s
Peach = A-1E Skyraider

Sorry that the DW suffix might have caused some confusion on a build that I was trying to make as historically accurate as possible.
Like retro guy was explaining, it is just my initials that I have added to all of the serial numbers of my personal builds that I have machined out and assembled.

I'm flattered that this thread has stayed "front page" for so long, and appreciate all of the kind compliments.
I wish that I had a range report to give, but, life has been very busy the last few months preventing me from firing a single shot through it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice piece OP.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sorry that the DW suffix might have caused some confusion on a build that I was trying to make as historically accurate as possible.
Like retro guy was explaining, it is just my initials that I have added to all of the serial numbers of my personal builds that I have machined out and assembled.

I'm flattered that this thread has stayed "front page" for so long, and appreciate all of the kind compliments.
I wish that I had a range report to give, but, life has been very busy the last few months preventing me from firing a single shot through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bigstick,

Apple = HH-53s
Peach = A-1E Skyraider

Makes sense.  My thought on this is to engrave personal info along the underside of the magazine well like on the Charlie Erb full-auto AR-10 conversions (as pictured below).  Put name, city, State, etc. plus a notice that the markings are replica markings.  Pretty out-of-the-way and also useful due to our State laws here.  Colt AR-15 is banned by name, so without something showing that the weapon was made by someone else (I'd be finishing an 80% lower for my project), there is the potential for legal issues.  I've also seen people do markings on the underside of the lower above the trigger guard or on the flats on top at the rear that get covered with the upper is in place.

Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:55:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Anything to report from the range?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
jeepdan,

SWEET 649 GAU-5/A/A you got there. Only thing technically wrong would be positioning of the DoD stamp. Should be mag well front. That mount looks great as well.
View Quote
1967-68 they did stamp the right side of the mag well.
We’re used to seeing it in the front
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#48]
True, but the Son Tay raid was in 1970, so perhaps this carbine was "built" just earlier that year?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anything to report from the range?
View Quote
Unfortunately no.
I didn't have time to fire a round through anything during the latter half of last year.

But I do pick up the carbine often, and practice my target acquisition with the Single Point, on objects throughout the house.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't drill a hole through the receiver in that area. No matter if it is oversize, or off location.
View Quote
AMEN to that!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top