Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/29/2012 12:59:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty nasty. Don't think it would hold up under sustained fire though. Guess that's why the Pig came along.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Friggin bad ass! I want one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe that only the one prototype was made.  It would have been interesting to see how it would have worked out in a well-tested production weapon.  Still, it looks like it was a precursor to the Stoner 63 modular weapons system.

As for the M-60, it's proof positive not to have weapons designed by a committee.  Bolt lugs that needed the burrs stoned off every few thousand rounds, gas piston that could easily be installed backwards making it a single-shot, trigger mechanism that would fall off if the retaining spring wasn't properly set (and sometimes would anyway), riveted receiver rails that would crack and stretch, and no way to handle a hot barrel without an asbestos glove.  Oh, and do NOT try to close the top cover with the bolt forward!  and what genius decided the bipod should be permanently attached to the barrel?!?!  
Still, it could have been worse.  New ones usually operated reliably, and we learned to carry an extra bolt for when the lugs started to deform.
When it comes to reliability, though, the 'pig' didn't even come close to it's competitors; MG-3, PKM, or MAG-58.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the Ciener system, sized for the ar10..  Doubt it's factory at all.

Specially modified links, meat grinder action on the side of the gun. Pass.

ETA: Yup.. You can see the cutout in the lower.. That's totally a Ciener system.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: Yup.. You can see the cutout in the lower.. That's totally a Ciener system.

The Ciener was a copy of the orignal Colt system, which was originally developed for the AR10 in 308 then scaled down for the AR-15 /M-16 .223.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ciener was a copy of the orignal Colt system, which was originally developed for the AR10 in 308 then scaled down for the AR-15 /M-16 .223.  

My bad.. I forget that he never really invented anything, just copied them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guess that's why the Pig came along.

Development of the M60 traces back to the early 1950s.  The belt-fed AR-10 and AR-15s were intended to fill the automatic rifleman role, for which no real successor to the BAR was forthcoming until the decision to adopt the M249 in 1984.

As for the M60 being designed by committee, its more a good indicator that taking various elements of well designed weapons and putting them together does not necessarily result in a well designed weapon.  The Mk 19 Mod 2 is perhaps the extreme example.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As for the M60 being designed by committee, its more a good indicator that taking various elements of well designed weapons and putting them together does not necessarily result in a well designed weapon.

Yep. Sometimes two good looking parents still end up with an ugly kid.
My folks proved that theory.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you kidding the 60 is an awesome weapon, never had a problem with mine. I took care of it and it took care of me.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top