Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 8:09:27 PM EDT
guys I just received an e-mail containing some pics from jntmjt1 (aka John Thomas) and I couldn't wait for the actual product to arrive, so I'm going to post up some teaser pics for you guys.

but first I have to say John told me after doing these, that he prefers doing the normal A1 style furniture, but he took this on as special project. He also says if anyone wants info on special orders, that you can contact him at [email protected] with your questions.

now I also have to admit I was a bit skeptical when he said he could do the carbine furniture, but since I just recently won an auction on GB for a bunch of RRA parts, and some of those parts just happened to be handguards and grips, I figured I didn't have much to lose. So I contacted John for his address and sent him some parts for him to paint.

so like I said, I received this e-mail tonight with some pics that John had taken of the finished product...and all I can say is that he has definitely won me over. I couldn't believe how well these things turned out....so here are the pics for you to drool over

thanks again, John...I can't wait to see how these look on my SP1
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha ha! that's awesome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice !

Reminds me of the burl and birdseyes in some stabalised woods.  Gotta love those browns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I must love it, I jumped all over his ad in the E.E. for a prototype pistol grip, now to save up for a set of H.g.'s and a buttstock.
My wife even likes the way John's stuff looks, so it must be good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about a set of carbine HGs by him - wondering how they'd look. They look good - can't wait to see them on the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
How are these done? Is it water printing, paint, what?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How are these done? Is it water printing, paint, what?

crackedcornish,
I'm glad you like the way they look.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  

Tangochaser,
To answer your question, they are done by hand with a variety of pigments and sealants, some paintbrushes, and lots of time.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm savin' my pennies right damn now for a jntmjt1 paintjob on my prototype's furniture!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I know things like this can be a real labor of love.

They look great. I foresee this becoming quite popular. The hyrdographers just may steal the idea from you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
OK guys I had a few minutes to play around with my John Thomas carbine handguards today while the paint on my Jeep cures a little.

and I think I'm going to go with a XM177E2 theme for this one..since, believe it or not, I don't have an E2 yet

still need to chop the bayonet lug off, get a grenade ring and gas tube, and finish the upper....Oh yeah, that's a brand new J&T chrome lined 16" barrel in 6.8SPC that I got off of GB awhile back

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh man that's gonna be a sweet little carbine when your done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, that's nice.  That floor really sets it off too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks great, Crackedcornish.
I look forward to seeing the completed rifle. I love the idea of making a retro clone in 6.8 SPC. I was originally doing something similar with a GUU-5/P clone for hunting, but after acquiring all required parts I cheaped out and just set it up as yet another M4 clone.  My old eyes made me go with my AMD mount on a flat top.  However, as your builds have inspired a lot of people to start projects, it just may be the inspiration I need to finish mine.

Jntmjt1's paint jobs never cease to look amazing, as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]
That carbine furniture looks great!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the compliments guys....glad to hear that something I put together may have inspired someone to do a retro build that's a little different, either by using a different length gas system or an alternative caliber....or both

Keep an eye out...I think I may do a big bore 605 next
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Cracked, what profile does J&T use one the 6.8 barrels under the handguards? I assume heavy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cracked, what profile does J&T use one the 6.8 barrels under the handguards? I assume heavy.

correct
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#18]
crackedcornish,

That is a really interesting project.  It should be a good shooter.  Thanks very much for sharing the pictures.

John Thomas
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/f2f624ca.jpg

Thanks, looking forward to finished pics. I like these alternative caliber retros. Who was it, had the .458 socom? I really liked that one too.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct

Thanks, looking forward to finished pics. I like these alternative caliber retros. Who was it, had the .458 socom? I really liked that one too.

MarkRSims

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct

MarkRSims

I really like Mark's .458 too  

It's what got me to thinkin' about doing a big bore 605...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Big bore 605 hummmm???? Interesting! Email sent cracked.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I think .458 WM would be interesting
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top