Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 7:57:40 AM EDT
historically accurate optics for an xm177e2

is there any way I could put a scope or red dot on my replica XM177e2 while still maintaining it's historical integrity?

I remember reading an osprey book once where I saw an army ranger or something with a colt commando that had an early red dot on it. I think the plate represented a mission in the late 70's or early 80's.

just incase you haven't seen it, here's my baby
http://www.peace-through-victory.com/XM117E2.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
An Armson OEG would be a retro-ish optic you might want to try.  They are an early red-dot for close-range (~25 meters) work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
OEGs and Singlepoints

How's that OEG working for you, mentalstampede?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I like it.  It's certainly the quickest sight I've ever used.

I'm probably gonna see about having the tritium replaced.  It's so dim I can't really see the dot in the dark.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It is dim, even when new.  They were originally designed to be used in darkness after the eyes had twenty minutes of dark-adaptation.

Send it to Trijicon in Wixom, MI.  It will cost $35 for tritium replacement and that includes shipping.  Contact them first for a return authorization and then ship it off.  Should get it back in a couple of weeks.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
i just got a sinlepoint in off of ebay for $20
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
machinehead - You will have to share pics of that scope.  I got a brand new singlepoint off of Ebay a while ago for $35.  I love them.  I am usually good about finding them but haven't seen any in a while.  You must have found that one under the radar.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn. Tried wrestling one away from a Nerd at a Sci-fi/Starwars show a while back....Don't you hate when a 30yr old guys sends him mom to yell at you....jk
Great score.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
machinehead - You will have to share pics of that scope.  I got a brand new singlepoint off of Ebay a while ago for $35.  I love them.  I am usually good about finding them but haven't seen any in a while.  You must have found that one under the radar.

ask and you shall receive.  every time i search all i come up with is starwars stuff.  it is in real good shape.  there is a port on the bottom like on some of the oeg's,  maybe for tritium?  i don't know if they ever came with that though.  I have had a hard time finding stuff out about them other than starwars stuff.  they are good looking scopes for the cash.  now i need to find a good retro looking scope mount that looks period correct.  i don't know if they used a one piece mount or used a rail adapter and rings.

its amazing to think this was cutting edge technology back in the day.

here is the best picture i have seen of a mount.  it was on a pic of a 605.  the bands look to be VERY thin,

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#9]
i saw one of those on ebay.uk for 20 pounds, about $36 us. I didn't buy it because the military one had a pointed front peice and the one on ebay had a round front part like yours.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The ones the military procured for the Son Tay Raiders had the round polycarbonate tip.  They didn't just the ones with the truncated cone.  You should have snatched it up...

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#11]
the guy relisted it, i'll bid when the auction is almost over, hopeing I'll have more money buy then
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top